Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default One of my students met Obama last Friday

I subbed at one of the high schools yesterday and one of the students told me she got to meet Barak Obama in person when he visited the Asheville area this past weekend. She and two other students were on a trip to Rockingham and going along some backroads. They stopped at a gas station and the people there told them President Obama was just up the road walking on the Appalachian Trail. They didn't believe them at first, but decided "What the heck?" and went to take a look.

Sure enough, she said they found the largest, super-stretch limo she had ever seen with flags all over it. They got out and went up the trail, where they were soon met several Secret Service agents who confirmed that Barak Obama was, indeed, up the trail a little way. They asked if they could meet the POTUS. The Secret Service searched them and ran metal detectors around them, then allowed them to approach the President. The student in my class actually shook hands with Barak. He told here he was hoping to find some "good ole down home cooking" while in the area. I asked her what it was like to meet the President of the United States. She said "It was pretty overwhelming." I would have to agree with that.

Even though this was a biology class, I took a few minutes to hold a discussion about the Office of President and the President himself. A number of students didn't like Obama, but I was very impressed by one girl who said "Whether you like him or not, he IS the President and deserves respect for his position". I told her I agreed. I also told students it was very possible to disagree with Obama and/or his policies without being a racist. One Costa Rican girl said she thought Obama was very attractive.

I think it would be very cool to meet the President in person and I'm REALLY impressed Obama and the Secret Service would agree to an impromptu meeting like this. I give Obama a lot of credit for making himself approachable to ordinary citizens.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Chewbacca
Zartan

Default Re: One of my students met Obama last Friday

Cool story. Makes me wanna go hiking, ya never know who ya might meet!
Old 04-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I work with some UofC graduates, one of whom took Obama's classes and adores him. And he always remembers her name when he sees her. Pretty cool.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I heard about him being in the state yesterday hiking the Trail and thought that was a cool idea for a president to do. I hope he enjoyed it despite the not-so-perfect weather yesterday (at least in my area).

You mentioning that the Costa Rican girl and I suddenly had a flashback to the South Carolina governer and all that App. trail + hispanic beauty drama.