Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 02-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #141
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

A powergamed character doesn't really require any more than 93 stat points.

Put 3 into Charisma and use the Ring of Human Influence/Rod of Smiting Charisma wraparound bug to get 25 Charisma.
Dace De'Briago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #142
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Well, I rolled it very quickly, so I really wasn't intentionally powergaming that much. Also, elf CHA minimum is 8.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:21 PM   #143
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

When rolling, I usually look at the attributes that do not have a minimum requirement. e.g. when rolling a Paladin, I look at STR, DEX and CON because I know both CHA and WIS have high minimum requirements.

I re-roll until each of these is 15+ (or two very high rolls) before checking the other stats. This ensures that the character is going to be a contender.

With an elven character, I would ignore CHA and again concentrate on STR, CON and DEX. The only difference is that there would be two other variables to consider.

Note that Rangers have minimums for several of their stats, making them a good contender for powergaming (I'm also thinking ranger > cleric dual).
Old 02-06-2005, 11:43 PM   #144
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Dace, you should put a warning about powergaming in your signature! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2005, 08:58 PM   #145
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
Dace, you should put a warning about powergaming in your signature! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well, I'm totally against 'cheating' characters in any sense with a game editor, so I take all of the advantages the engine offers me.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:02 PM   #146
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Hehe, I know man. I agree with you: there's an enormous difference between cheating and powergaming.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:12 AM   #147
Black Robed One
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Black Robed One, never saw what was so EXTREMLY difficult about Baldur's Gate for so many people to create unrealistically overpowered characters... There must be something that is fun about it, but BRO fails to see this something...
Old 02-08-2005, 05:49 PM   #148
Dace De'Briago
Silver Dragon

The protagonist is the child of a . What is so unrealistic about the character having godlike abilities?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:18 PM   #149
Black Robed One
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace De'Briago:
The protagonist is the child of a . What is so unrealistic about the character having godlike abilities?
Even deities have strong and weak points (although naturally, their “standards” are FAR higher then that of mortals); no deity has stats like: 50, 50, 50, 50, 50, 10.

Also, keep in mind, that apart from some special abilities the characters gains, he is effectively still a mortal (at least until Throne of Bhaal; I haven’t played it yet, so I don’t know if character become a deity in there or no), with perfectly mortal ability scores, even though they will likely be somewhat higher then those of normal people (including recruitable NPCs).

Also keep in mind that…

!!!SPOILER!!!
Don’t read the following unless you finished the first half of Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn!!!
You have been warned!

…Imoen is a Bhaalspawn as well, which doen’t prevent her from having high (18, 17, 16, 16, 11, 9) but not overpowering ability scores. Why should the main character be different in this regard?

P.S.

BRO still fails to understand where is fun in having such unrealistically high ability scores, especially since more realistic characters are capable of passing the game without too much difficulty…
Old 02-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #150
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Sarevok is the son of a deity, and he's got pretty good stats.

If you've played ToB, there's a city with a ton of Bhaalspawn in it, and most of 'em are commoners.

The protagonists stats should be largely varied. There are some people who enjoy playing a guy with really high stats, there are some who hate it.

It's your game, have fun with whatever you like.