Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2003, 03:14 PM   #1
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

I'm having some fun and playing a solo Archer. (beside many other open games ) What I am "afraid" of is that I don't know how can I protect against fear. OK, one or two Potions of Clarity are there in the game, and there is also Dragonslayer sword, but I can't hold that and shoot arrows.

Any ideas ?

I was disappointed when I realized that my priest (ranger) spells don't include Remove fear spell.

With Improved Undead they all cast Spook, Horror combined with Doom and Greater Malison. And Dragons are also "frightful".
Old 06-02-2003, 03:46 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Hmm. This is really a problem. Once you(if) you finish SoA you can take the Evil Path in the Nine Hells and get the cloak. But on early-middle-late SoA i really do not know. SoS? Dundee?Anyone?
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:57 PM   #3
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

You got the fighter/illusionist gnome component of Tactics installed don't you? He carries a Greenstone Amulet that bestows permanent psionic protection, rather than 1 turn/use like the regular amulet. This protection also includes protection from fear.

Now if you would actually want to use it is another matter, it's considered somewhat cheesy.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:29 PM   #4
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Apart from the Cloak, which is practically a ToB item (and causes Paladins and Rangers to become Fallen anyway), there is Blackrazor (also ToB, can be obtained without Falling) and the Dragonslayer. The Shield of Harmony might protect against Fear, but don't quote me. Total applications for a mid-SoA Solo Archer: Zero.

As for MOD items, I'm currently toying with a rewrite of the Shield of Balduran, removing the anti-Beholder cheese and replacing it with Resist Fear. Also, if you're Romancing Kelsey, you can get a Ring that confers immunity to Fear, but only in ToB. Again, total applications for a mid-SoA Solo Archer: Zero.

It looks like the "Super-Greenstone" is your only option. As for cheesiness, you're in a Solo game with no other options (apart from sucking down all the best potions) open to you. I'd go ahead and do it.
Old 06-02-2003, 10:09 PM   #5
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
It looks like the "Super-Greenstone" is your only option. As for cheesiness, you're in a Solo game with no other options (apart from sucking down all the best potions) open to you. I'd go ahead and do it.
Potions of Clarity do protect against fear. And, as fear is a spell, a high magic resistance will also protect against it.

*hijacks the thread for other nefarious purposes*

Can a high magic resistance protect you from spells that have no save?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:12 PM   #6
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Check out Mae-Var's Guild before you betray him. IIRC, the merchant there sells a Nymph Cloak, which should protect versus Fear.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:47 AM   #7
Vedran
Lord Soth

No, no, no - that is completely different Nymph cloak. This one raises charisma by 2.

If you want, I could create a low-enchanted item that would protect you. Better yet, edit an existing one.
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:06 AM   #8
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

Would it be simplest to just use ShadowKeeper to grant you a Remove Fear spell slot?

(EDIT: OK I tested it out - it works OK... I guess a solo archer has been played successfully without the editing, but then again, you ARE using an improved undead mod, so whatever... I suppose you could delete another ranger spell or two to balance things out also.)

[ 06-03-2003, 03:26 AM: Message edited by: Mahlennacht ]
Mahlennacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:10 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

EDIT] No wait, Shield of Harmony does not grant immunity to Fear. That's odd, how did my solo Archer do it then?

Others methods besides the Potion of Clarity include the Potion of Invulnerability.

[ 06-03-2003, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:20 AM   #10
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

So it looks like I have two (three) options:

1. Greenstone amulet - safe play

2. Potions of ... + MR - hoping for the best and sometimes reloading ...

3. How about this one: Protection from Undead scrolls !
I'll check how many of these lie around. There are quite a few.

I can use those precious Potions agains Dragons.