Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #1
Adamo
Dungeon Master

I know I'm way behind but I just finished BG2 and I'm looking forward to starting NWN. I just installed it and I've been reading the manual and I just wanted to know if anybody has any basic tips about the game i.e.---certain character classes that are weaker or stronger, any general hints about gameplay, any suggested mods or patches that improve the game, etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

adam
Adamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Hey, Adamo, I'll try to give you a few but it has been a long time since I played:

1. This RPG is NOT like what you got out of BG2. Many didn't like the Original Campaign (the beginning story) at all. Some found it boring. Personally I liked it but I found the expansion packs significantly more enjoyable.

2. Don't expect a party based game like in the Baldur's Gate series. You can have only one partner at a time. I will say that you should try all the henchmen available. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and they all have a story to tell and a personal quest to meet. Here is something really important: If you don't engage them in Chapter 1 and utuilize them you will not be able to finish their quests. Dialogue is critical so enage as you go in Chapter 1. They have to learn to trust you.

3. Play whatever class/race you like but Clerics really rock BIG TIME. My butt was saved more times than I can count when I could call in an additional helper like a celestial wolf. Clerics can wear armor, use some nasty weapons, and have both defensive and offensive spells.

4. Where NWN really shines is online play and the community of mod builders that are free to download and play to your heart's content. Truly, there are modules out there that are better than what Bioware made they are that good. And, again, they are free!

5. You should try Ziroc's own Undermountain module. From what I hear it is nasty but great.

6. Have fun, don't be in a hurry, pay attention to detail and conversations.

Hope this helps.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:37 AM   #3
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

things to take note of:

1) if you don't like the original campaigns, you can always download other modules which will have some of what you are looking for within them.

2) if that is not enough variation for you (and there are sites which will recommend the best downloadable modules around), you can always find online modules available at any time of day.

3) download the CEP (Community Expansion Project) as many of the online and downloadable modules need them. you will find links to it at http://nwn.bioware.com and http://nwvault.ign.com

4) for added variations, you may want to make duplicate copies of your original campaign, place them in a new directory, then run the PRC Consortium package. not exactly for people just starting off, you will find it on the NeverWinter Vault (see link above). It will allow you to create all new character types.

5) find the Tony K. hakpack. trust me, with this you can make even the original campaign twice as enjoyable. It allows you to access the inventory of your henchmen - meaning you can give them weapons you find are more to your liking, or take items they possess and use them yourself. completely up to you.
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote