Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2003, 06:39 PM   #1
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Mexico!!!!!!!!!! YAY they have finally sent so many people up here that I cant afford to go to work anymore!!!! YAYYYYYYYYY [img]smile.gif[/img] Congrats to Mexico and all of central america, you have won [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 06:45 PM   #2
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Pauly, I assume you are being ironic. What are you talking about, dear?
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 08-20-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
You were self employed, right ? What's the story ?
Old 08-20-2003, 06:50 PM   #4
Animal
Gold Dragon

I know you were having problems a while back with them undercutting your bids. Sorry to hear that. I didn't realize it was that bad.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:55 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yep I'm done. They are building for under $2 a square foot now. That is not even enough to cover payroll. I worked for 3 weeks for free so far. \well not actually free its in the negative. I forgot to thank our politicitians from top to bottom and from both worthless parties for all the help they have been. A great big round of applause for them also, those campaign contributions really kick ass! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2003, 06:57 PM   #6
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I am sorry, LoA. I understand the problem. Alas, immigration will do nothing for you. I have had one from their agency admit to the President of the temp. agency I used to work for that they are not concerned so much with anyone that may/may not be legal...rather those that break the law or are causing obvious trouble. Just taking our jobs from us is not a strong enough case for them to care...the rats.

Also, I just read where those from India are being shipped in to take the jobs from the computer geeks of America, since their VISA permits come with the company benefit of paying the outsiders the wages that they would normally make inside their home country...which is like $2/hr. or something crappy like that. Therefore, they take the jobs from the people that have degrees in PC engineering and all that stuff.

Too bad another country cannot afford to pay you to come build homes for them in thier country...but you can always try!
Old 08-20-2003, 07:08 PM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Lord of Alcohol:
Yep I'm done. They are building for under $2 a square foot now. That is not even enough to cover payroll. I worked for 3 weeks for free so far. \well not actually free its in the negative. I forgot to thank our politicitians from top to bottom and from both worthless parties for all the help they have been. A great big round of applause for them also, those campaign contributions really kick ass! [img]smile.gif[/img]
So where does that leave you now ? I understand you can't compete with such prices, but isn't there something or someone who's there for you ? I mean you're not dealing with competition here, but with people who destroy the business for everyone.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:21 PM   #8
*\Conan/*
Red Dragon

Gather them together LOA and we can take control of IW finally. Bad pun - ok.

I can totally understand. My trade has battled with machines since the late 1800's. Ever taking the place of craftsmen all around by unequal ratios and saturation of new company's with tight budgets. Pre-fab components and internet access for outsourcing dominates every day of work. I haven't seen a white drywall man for 88 years.?
Old 08-20-2003, 07:22 PM   #9
Animal
Gold Dragon

I would think at that price, that craftmanship and quality is non existant. Are they just going after new, or have they got their hands into the renovation market yet?

Got the same problem up here with the Vietnamese and fishing. I've got a few friends who fish, and they've taken up to packing firearms with them when they're on the boat. Just a couple of weeks ago, a buddy's boat was rammed by one of the Vietnamese fish boats, because they didn't want him fishing there. Got real nasty.

If it were me, I'd go down swinging (literally) I'd no doubt end up with an assault charge, but it'd be worth it. On the wages they're undoubtedly being paid, health care is out of the question. After a couple of weeks in a hospital, I would think the bill would be quite high.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:26 PM   #10
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Oh I'm so sorry Pauly

[ 08-20-2003, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps