Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2003, 04:56 AM   #1
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

Any fans here of Doom or Quake? i never really played one of these games but i would like to see if they are anything special so does anyone now of a place where you can get Doom I and II demos and Quake I II and III?
Old 07-15-2003, 05:41 AM   #2
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Doom 1 & 2 and Quake 1 & 2 are similar.

Kill a badguy. Pick up key. Enter next room. Kill 20 badguys.

They were pretty good games for their time, and are still quite fun today for a few minutes of mindless fragging

Quake 3 is more like Unreal Tournament, being more of a multiplayer game with computer controlled bots as enemies in single player.

Doom III is the latest game in the series, and this time around actually has a story. I think it's getting released at the end of the year.

Regarding where to buy copies of the games, you should find them in the bargain bins at your local gaming store.

You can probably even download Quake 1 and Doom 1 as they are now considered Abandonware. Meaning, that the games are so old the developers don't mind you downloading them for free. Or somthing like that.

Screenshots:

Doom 1

Doom 2

Doom 3

[ 07-15-2003, 05:52 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 07-15-2003, 05:56 AM   #3
Cristian
Emerald Dragon

lol look at the difference on DOOM II and then on the third [img]smile.gif[/img] im gonna buy the III when it comes out for sure [img]smile.gif[/img] any ideas where to get the full games?
Old 07-15-2003, 05:59 AM   #4
wellard
Dracolisk

Hey I loved DOOM !! but I never bought quake, I do not know why? My wife still has Doom2 on the computer and she still uses it to fry some alien butt [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Edit cause I can not spelll

[ 07-15-2003, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 07-15-2003, 05:59 AM   #5
Gnarf
Emerald Dragon

Doom's really cool IMO, never really played any Quake games very much, so I dunno 'bout them...

Quote:
You can probably even download Quake 1 and Doom 1 as they are now considered Abandonware. Meaning, that the games are so old the developers don't mind you downloading them for free. Or somthing like that.
Don't think they're abandonware, quite sure you can order'em at IDs site. However, the engines of Doom 1/2/some other versions and Quake 1'n 2 are open-source [img]smile.gif[/img] So there are some really nice free ports made 'tleast for Doom (you still have to have the game to use'em), if you get any old Doom game, you should get Doom Legacy as well (lots'a improvements, spitscreen multiplayer, you can look up and down'n stuff...)
Old 07-15-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
Jan

Can't see the Doom 3 screenshot.

Have tried Quake a little bit but don't like that kind of games.

Old 07-15-2003, 08:28 AM   #7
Thoran
Galvatron

If you're really interested in the WHOLE ID FPS family then don't forget Wolfenstien... the game that started it all. Additionally, you could play multiplayer as early as Doom I, and modify maps to create custom games right from the beginning. The two Dooms were a lot of fun to play when you got a bunch of guys together for some mindless killing. QuakeI utilized a new engine that included TRUE 3d maps for the first time, there were some truly awesome mods for that game, like Threewave's Capture the Flag game. Q2 and Q3 are provide similar gameplay and upgraded graphics. IMO the Quake series has been eclipsed by games like Unreal 1&2 which had more story and at least equivelant graphics, Doom III looks like it'll be a groundbreaking experience (and maybe computer breaking too if it's as demanding as it looks like it'll be).
Old 07-15-2003, 09:32 AM   #8
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Any Doom fans here? Head over to Doomworld.com or Doomworld.com/vb
Also try the Doomworld.com/idgames for PWADS.
And zdoom.notgod.com/lars for the latest version of Zdoom. One of the most used Doom ports these days.
You'll find that the Doom community is one of the most active modding communities around, and also one of the oldest.

And I've been a Doom fan since i was a wee one. No other FPS'es really caught on though.

[ 07-15-2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: Indemaijinj ]
Old 07-15-2003, 11:55 AM   #9
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Ahhhhh! The games that started me on gaming! Does anyone have a quake 1 CD? Mine has turned up missing! I still have the case, but the CD is gone! I used the soundtrack for halloween music. NIN made it if I remember correctly. Everyone loved it, which makes me suspect it's been pilfered.
Old 07-15-2003, 03:10 PM   #10
B_part
Quintesson

Doom: ah the old days... wolfenstein 3d had started a genre, and doom made it one of the most populare gem types. Before those, FPS didn't exist. And multiplayer gaming was unheard of.
The atmosphere was great as well. I remember feeling quite uneasy when I had to turn off the light after a heavy gaming session. And jumping on my chair every now and then when an imp (or usually worse) spawned on my back.

Should you play doom now you would not like it: 320x240, no mouse aiming (that means strafing and turning are done via the keyboard), no look up and down, no real 3d environment (only fake 3d obtained by putting vertical two dimensional walls). Also you might experience sea sickness: yes, nausea, due to the waving movement of the weapon and the depthless textures.
But when Doom was first delivered, doom was an earthquake. It counted hundreds of imitations, including the popular Duke Nukem 3D.
Doom II and quake were a bit of a disappointment, but sold great nonetheless.

If you want a similar game, buy SErious Sam 1 or 2. THe same frag fest feeling, but with a great engine and great maps and great weapons and great monsters and I guess you got the message. Not the same atmosphere, though. No horror, just happy fragging, and bad macho humor.