Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 02-28-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
Killraven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Light Bulb

Thanks for the welcome to the forum. Due to the dearth of rpgs the last year, I was jonesing for a fix when I came upon a reference to this game. I tracked down a copy and set to seeing if I could get it to play on my computer. Now, I'm a gamer and pretty lame on computer expertise, so I appreciate all the tips in the forum. First, I updated my indeo codec (whatever that is). Then, through your tips, I fixed the game freeze up by running it in Windows 95 emulation mode (who knew). But I still couldn't access the two buildings and the right hand gate. Once again, through your tech tip, I downloaded virtual dub and set about fixing the problem. I copied the files in vdub and then went into windows explorer but got hung up when the computer wouldn't allow me to rename the file because one already existed by that name. It would have been helpful if your tip explained that the new file needed to be in a seperate folder for this to work. But, after searching the forums, I finally found a mention of this. So I copied all the files in vdub getting 32 mb files, went into windows explorer, renamed them, transferred them to the townavi files, and told them to overwrite the old files. Then I loaded a game save and went back into the town. Lo and behold, I now cannot access any of the buildings or either of the gates! I am now stuck and totally baffled. I don't see any mention of this in your forums and need help as I'm really dying to delve into a deep rpg once again and satisfy that craving. I don't want to have to wait for Dungeon Lords to come out. Please help!
Killraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
So So
Zhentarim Guard

Hum... I am wondering... does the game let you access the buildings if you start all over again?... if they still don't... then try remaking the files again... but delete the files instead of overwriting them...
Old 02-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... I haven't had that problem. What I typically do, though, is to vdub each file in the same directory, but save it with a slightly different name (twnhll01.avi >> twnhll01A.avi). Then after I've vdubbed them all, I rename the old ones (to _orig, for example), and then copy the new ones to the old names. Then if I want to switch back and forth, I simply copy one file or the other back to the original name.

And to ask a silly question, you did restart the game after doing this, right? If you didn't, life wouldn't be good...

Give some more details and let's see what we can do.

*edit* Oh, and welcome to the boards, Killraven! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] May you find excitement and adventure in the Gael Serran to be to your liking.

[ 02-28-2005, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Killraven!!

Bungleau should be able to get your problem sorted out. He's solved so many problems for so many players!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Welcome to the board, Killraven. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] And thanks for the thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:38 PM   #6
Killraven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the quick respose guys. As for the dumb question, did I restart the game, the answer is no. There is no way to restart is there? Maybe if you delete all your characters at the inn you get the chance to restart? But since I can never reenter the inn, that's not possible. I tried restting my adventures but that doesn't work. It looks like I'll have to uninstall, re-install, do the vdub thing and try again - right? Thanks for the help on my journey.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:38 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Whoopsie! I guess I wasn't too clear in what I was saying. You shouldn't have to reinstall it, I don't think.

What I meant to ask was if you had completely exited W&W and started the program again after making the change, not if you had completely restarted the game. Sorry for being too vague

Hmmm... one other thing... you might check to make sure you don't accidentally have a typo in the avi file names. That would not be good, no matter how you look at it. I don't have a machine with W&W booted right now, or I'd give you the names. I think they're like townmsk1.avi and so on, but I'm not sure.

I'll add more later tonight when I get back onto my gaming computer
-+-+-+
Old 02-28-2005, 05:53 PM   #8
jsalsb
Elminster

just out of curiosity... did you do ALL 6 townavi files? 3 townmsk and 3 townhub?

Just a thought...
Old 02-28-2005, 06:05 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

On my system, I only vdubbed the three townmsk files. I left the townhub files alone. And they are, for reference...

townmsk1.avi
townmsk2.avi
townmsk3.avi

Make sure you don't have any typos in those names... or permission problems. IOW, make sure they're not read-only or something like that.
-+-+-+
Old 03-01-2005, 11:06 AM   #10
Killraven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey guys! Yes, I vdubbed all 6 townavi files and there are no typos. And yes, I have restarted the game again several times and even on the opening town scene, before reloading a save game, I am unable to access any buildings or gates. There is only one anomaly I see. The new files now show the town as it is visually in the game, while the old files were only colored geometric shapes on a black background. However, both my townmsk2 & townmsk3 files still show as geometric shapes on a black background, even though they are uncompreesed 32 mg files. Is this normal or is this the possible source of the problem? Otherwise, I can't think of anything that would be causing this. Let me know what you think before I try re-installing.