Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-29-2005, 10:50 PM   #21
Whistler
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Might and Magic II - This was the first RPG I ever owned (for the Commodore 64) and I loved it. It was so freaky like leave the first town and you're only level 2 and you come across a Goblin town with hundreds of Goblins that you have no chance of defeating.

Legacy of the Ancients - Another Commodore 64 game that was so amazing. I couldn't believe how good the graphics were and the sounds when you walked through the dungeon. Then when you clicked on a painting and it would take you to an overhead view of the land like in Ultima. And you could eat the monsters you killed. Just stay away freom the Carrion Crawler or whatever the poisonous ones were.

Ultima III - This was the first RPG I ever played and the only Ultima I really enjoyed. Going to Ambrosia and finding your way out. Fighting the castle guards. I loved it.

Might and Magic V - Best of the M&M series. Loved the graphics, story, and the game play. Also, the first game I ever bought for a PC.

Wizardry 7 - The first Wizardry game I ever played. It was very difficult, but I mapped out every square and loved how you could be all these weird different professions and races like ninja or rat.

Wizards & Warriors - All hail the king - best CRPG ever made. Took everything that was good about Wizardry and made it better. Best music and voice acting I ever heard in a game. I loved how it put you in a mood, you felt like you were in the game. I never played other music while playing this game.

Wizardry 8 - Once I realized that you needed a Bard to be able to get anywhere in this game I thoroughly enjoyed it. It got a little boring towards the end though killing thousands of minotaurs.

Phantasy Star II - This game was for the Sega Genesis, but it is my favorite RPG ever so had to include it in the list. The graphics and animation for the monsters were amazing during the battles. You could see the fire rising up through the dragon's neck before he breathed on you. It came with a free hint book and it was the best hint book I ever read.

Dragon Warrior I - My second favorite RPG ever on the NES. I loved the single player where you could be everything in one. Get all the best weapons and armor and learn all the spells. The graphics were great and killing metal slimes and gold golems were so rewarding.

Shining in the Darkness - This is the closest I ever saw a console game get to Wizardry. It was a total dungeon crawl with great graphics and tons of fun. There was one town outside the dungeon where you bought all your weapons and stuff. For the Sega Genesis.

Myst 2: Riven - Not really an RPG, but such and immersive, great game. The scenery was so beautiful and it felt like you were really there. I just got lost in another world. The other Mysts didn't come close. (Except Myst 3 when I was drinking while playing the desert world - surreal) [img]smile.gif[/img]
Whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 02:05 PM   #22
Griefmaker
The Magister

Hey all!

This is my first post on IW and I just wanted to say that I am glad to finally be here. I have looked at the IW hints and message boards from time to time for the past year or so and finally decided the weekend to get my butt in gear and join as a member.

As to my response to the topic:

I have been playing games since I was young, when the Atari and Commedore 64 were out. There have been two times in my life where I have had a "drought" of computer game playing--both times were for about 5-6 years each (these were times when I played a lot of console games and ignored the computer). There are two games that broke these droughts and made me get back into computer game playing.

Because of this fact (and the fond memories of both) these two games stand out in my mind as some of my favorite games of all time. They are Betrayal at Krondor and Arcanum.

Betrayal at Krondor broke the first drought. Awesome story, great graphics and music, great gameplay (all of these were great back in 1994, now they are a bit dated). The wierd thing that I always see is that no one else ever mentions this game when they talk about their favorites--oh well, I have always had unique tastes.

Arcanum broke the second drought. It does have its flaws (especially combat), but its flexibility is what I find to be great. You can do anything (sort of--you still have to follow the story) and be anyone. Two of my favorite characters were Jack the Ripper (the only evil character I have ever made or played) and Jack the Stripper (naked and butt ugly--it was a blast).

Other games that I have played and liked are:

1. Baldur's Gates 1 & 2--I like the IE and the AD&D reminded me of my early teen days play D&D.
2. Fallout 1 & 2--Dark, dreary, and fun. Plus my hometown of Redding was in it!
3. Wizards and Warriors--what's not to like? (except for not being able to skip through dialogue you have heard an infinite number of times).
4. Ultima Underworld 2--great game, probably one of my favorite ultimas
5. Master of Magic--Civilization RPG style. Fantastic!
6. Might and Magic 2 & 6--The only two MM that I have really gotten into.

There are others that I have liked, but I have made a moster of a post and should end it.

Sorry about the length of the post! As I said earlier, I am glad to be here and look forward to discussing more topis with you guys and girls.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:19 AM   #23
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Ahhh.... Master of Magic, one of my other favorites. Nothing quite so exciting as getting one of those glitches that gives your hero a couple hundred swords and shields... I took out a whole node of nine sky drakes that way once Some may consider it cheating, but those drakes were tough, lemmetellya!

I still pop in MoM for a quick game every so often. I remember one game where I got to the end with my last enemy down to one city, with one building, and it was surrounded by my armies. Every time he got a new hero, I went in and annihilated him or her... mass power, I tell ya, mass power...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #24
macoati
Manshoon

Just a quick one:

W&W obviously
Wizardry series up to the end of Wiz 6 (W7 was interesting but...ugh and Wiz 8 destroyed the fun for me even though I knew DWB wasn't a part of it)
Many many others but those have mostly been metioned.
...and my first that I'm almost positive no one will know or remember - Questar on an Apple IIe [img]smile.gif[/img]