Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-20-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Player
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I want to make a drow/deepgnome party, maybe including a dwarf... i would like 2 fighters, one deep gnome, one drow..... 1 sorcerer, 1 mage, and then one cleric and one ranger.... anyone have any suggestions, plz hurry back im eager to make my new party... also any good names, would be helpful... thanks for your help.
Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
shadowolf03
Drow Warrior

Whoa, chill out...making your party is half the fun!
If you rush this you'll find that you want to restart again and again, dulling the gaming experience with each restart.
I find that i spend the most time choosing my Characters names and typing their biographies!

Anyway, here are some names:

Humans:

Trax, Corvan, Malie, Avrinelle

Elf:
Ilian, Rio, Lasin'velra, Ayla

Dwarf/Gnome:
Regnark, Urarn/ Romble, Kita

I can't think of anymore at the mo!
Old 01-20-2005, 09:33 PM   #3
Player
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks for the names anyone have any tips on what points for what attributes to give?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:29 PM   #4
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

For your sorceror get a high charisma, but their are a few items u can get reletively early on that boost charisma. Since u only have 4, dont totaly forsake the other attributes for the sorceror. Instead of the wizard maybe a thief, plus the dual class in this game is awesome. Cleric's pretty basic, but really make the ranger a hard core tank, lotsa strenght and contistution, plus dex for the bow.

One of the best drow name's ive heard is Trethlere
Old 01-21-2005, 03:54 AM   #5
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

This site has a pretty decent name generator. You can even give the generator parameters, so if you're looking for a name that starts with A and ends in -tris, you can plug in a formula and try your luck.

Stock up on drow. Their natural magic resistance can come in handy.

It's also better to make multiclass characters than singleclass characters. Just adding one level of fighter to a paladin makes the paladin a better melee character. A ranger/thief is more versatile than just a plain ranger or plain thief, and puts room in your party for other characters.

And one arcane and one divine spellcaster (a mage/sorcerer and cleric) will do you fine.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:07 AM   #6
Player
Elite Waterdeep Guard

thanks, anyone feel free to help me out
Old 01-21-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Is this your first run through the game? If so, I would advise against taking too many of the slower leveling up characters, as they tend to appeal to more advanced players. If you want one or two, go ahead, but having a party of drow can be tough (though if you want to you can look at my Drow/svirneblin party thread).

As far as clerics go, the best IMHO are the Lathanderites. They get good healing spells as well as multiple mass damage fire spells, so they can be a backup bomber. Other good cleric gods are Talos and Bane, and for a tank-cleric Tempus is useful.

I have never taken a straight ranger, but if you want one be sure to use light armor and give lots of STR and DEX. Use their useful dual wielding skills to your advantage.

For mages and sorcerers, none come close to the power of the drow (though an aasimir sorcerer is pretty darn close). Your call.

I would take a paladin, as they are very useful as warriors and get some goodies later in the game. Go with a human, aasimir, or drow for this guy.

If you want fighters, take a shield dwarf and make a fighter4/barbarian to make a powerful hitter with lots of hp and Rage. Hand him a greataxe and watch him go!

Deep gnomes aren't good fighters, but if you made him a monk he could become an uber-decoy, and also a formidable offensive force.

Okay, end rant. If you need anything else on your party, feel free to ask (though be warned, I'm a powergamer. If you are a roleplayer, ask Bozos of Bones or someone else)
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

@ Marty4 [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Among my favorite clerics, I would definetly add in an Ilmaterite, as they have a quest much later, and a great special ability. Their domain spells are mostly buffs, pain inducers an the like, but there's these level 7 and 9 spells that take the cake
IMHO, pure class rangers, with favored enemies in this order: troll, undead, orc, goblinoid, rest is irrelevant, they get mucho strong against these guys. Sure, their spells are next to being a waste of points for wisdom, but sometimes they can be of great help.
Drow and svirfnebli have the biggest level penalty(+2, +3), but their spell resistance more than makes up fo it, and if coupled with items(Avenger, Staff of SR) or class(monk) that add to spell resistance, they become virtually immune to all spells. Names for Drow might be Ferzenn, Zan'turil, Trivel, Kielneth and the like, while a Svirfneblin might have Helgfar, Gornolth, Dielkenna etc.
Don't turn your head to "normal" races, like humans, halflings and the like, they can be just as powerfull as the rest. That's why I love the game: it's balanced, cool, and quite forgiving... actually, it's not forgiving at all, but I had to write something [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2005, 09:29 AM   #9
Aragorn1
Symbol of Cyric

hmm ... i was thinking of doing an underdark party along those lines too, my idea was;
Grey (don't tell me i mis-spelt that) Dwarf fighter/paladin: Tank

Deep Gnome Monk/Painbearer of Ilmater: healer/decoy

drow sorcerer: Grim-reaper wanna-be

Drow Theif(1)/wizard: half decent wizard, hile covering theving abilities, with careful stat/skill allocation.

Sound any good? I'm not sure where to go with a paladin wih extra feats or a fighter with the paladin abilities. Also what leveling scheme do you think would be best?

i'm not bother about having the best power-gamers, but i wouldn't want some particulalry bad characters.

(sorry about the post high-jack, i'll post on a separate topic if you want, but i thought it might give some ideas, and if you had a fighter/ranger or ranger paldin it would cover all your requirements. The lsize should help to of set ECL penalties)

[ 01-22-2005, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Aragorn1 ]
Aragorn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I'd still try to avoid xp penalties, as a 4player party really hurts to be the level of a 6 player one.
So, a revamp I'd suggest:
1. Aasimar Fighter4/PaladinX. Paladins get really mean with dual longswords, Heretic's Bane and Fiendslayer. And if they have a high charisma, they're vortually unkillable.
2. Altho with an xp penalty and level adjustment of +3, this combination always worked wonders for me.
3. Drow Sorcerer, Staff-wielding. Wizards gain extra feats, but having two wizards in a party makes buying spells somewhat tedious.
4. I'd rather go with a Tiefling thief1/wizard2, light armors and dual short blades.