Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 09-17-2003, 03:18 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The following rambling requires the Generic Archer component.

--------

I have always been fascinated by Darts. They are tiny and deal very little damage, but man were they fast. I had always wondered what it would be like to have a character Grandmastered in Darts, but the Ranger:Archer does not allow for this, and the Fighter is just too plain. Wizard Slayers are too restrictive in terms of logic too.

My character concept was that this was a Bhaalspawn that spent most of his youth in the Candlekeep Inn and he loved to play Darts. That's about it really, short, sweet and simple.

It is not meant for solo, but with a party, since we are trying to maximise roleplay here. The PC must not use anything but Daggers and Darts. A Generic Archer allows us to 5* in Darts and 2* in Daggers. Excess proficiencies can be placed elsewhere, but should be ignored for the purpose of roleplay. Sword & Shield Style is fine too.

Save maybe the Club for those pesky Clay Golems.

Ideas? Comments?

Land of the Psycho-moe
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:31 AM   #2
Armen
Symbol of Cyric

in the film 'Daredevil' the main bad guy was a character called Bullseye who was an insane assassin for hire who just threw darts (and anything else actually) with unswerving accuracy

i like the idea myself - its a shame there isn't a sub-monk but still damaging fist fighting proficiency though, that would be good

would you be ease-of-using or going for the role playing excitement of running out of darts? generic archer allows any armour i assume? that would be bad

some of the fighter HLAs would be amusing with darts [img]smile.gif[/img]

alternatively, the concept feels like a fighter->thief thing for me

haev you seen televised darts on the tv? i wonder if you could build a sound set based on the scorer / commentary

Critical Hit - One-hundred-and-EIGHTY!

quite a few thoughts then . . .
Armen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:35 AM   #3
Leslie
Baaz Draconian

Throwing Daggers also ? Or other ones just for the close encounters ?

Roleplaying ? Taking Yoshimo (Imoen), Jaheira, Minsc + ???

Early visit to WK ?
Old 09-17-2003, 04:42 AM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Armen:
some of the fighter HLAs would be amusing with darts [img]smile.gif[/img]
Greater Whirlwind with darts would be fun. How would that work with returning darts I ask myself. Do you just throw them SOO fast that they also return faster ???
Deathblow would be funny too
Personally I think it's a nice idea although I probably couldn't manage to walk through the game without once using a sword or at least a mace/flail/hammer.
Old 09-17-2003, 04:48 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Well... I see no harm in being able to stock up 400 Darts in one slot, given that you cannot put Darts in your QuickAmmo slots. I just love buying Darts in stacks of 200( x20 times ten). You will be shocked how fast they run out... especially in prolonged dungeon crawls.

You can only wear up to Studded Leather. It's one of the disadvantages of the GArcher kit.

Daggers serve two purposes. Although he is called the Dartmaster, he is not hopeless with other weapons. It is not far-fetched to imagine that he participates in Dagger-throwing competitions too. Just not as often as his Darts. He can choose to either throw them, or use them in melee. It is his secondary weapon though.

WK in ToB.

Party goes like this. Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo(Imoen), Aerie(Minsc's new witch) and an extra of your choice( or if you are willing... play with 5 in SoA and get the 6th in ToB You know who).
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:54 AM   #6
teardropmina
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:

Party goes like this. Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo(Imoen), Aerie(Minsc's new witch) and an extra of your choice( or if you are willing... play with 5 in SoA and get the 6th in ToB You know who).
If the 6th one should be the similar type (= fighting rather than magic) of NPC as the ToB NPC, then I will put Mazzy in...one of my favorite NPC, and actually, that's the roster of my current BG epic (BG->SoA->ToB) = Misnc, Aerie, Jaheira, Imone, Mazzy and PC (F/M).
Old 09-17-2003, 06:24 AM   #7
Kezardin
Elminster

Dundee,

sounds like a fun and well thought out character.

Wonder if the bracers of archery still work with darts ? (a'la Zal in BG1) [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img]
Kezardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 12:35 PM   #8
Klutz
Manshoon

Wouldn't Single Weapon Style grant an extra chance to critical hit with thrown weapons like Darts and Daggers?
Old 09-17-2003, 08:09 PM   #9
Tancred
White Dragon

You know what I'm thinking? I think you should SK-in an Ammo Belt for the PC. Why? Because I'm just grinning at the thought of a player character with a 'utility belt' of various different darts...

Holy grandmastery in darts, Batman! "If I could just reach my Bhaalspawn utility belt..."

EDIT: Not to mention, in BG1, a high-noon-style quick-draw 'shootout' against Zorl, 'Fastest Dart-thrower in the West'...

"Go for your darts."

[ 09-17-2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Tancred ]
Old 09-17-2003, 11:43 PM   #10
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

The Dartmaster is a wonderful idea. I use Shar-Teel in BG1, specialize her in missile weapons, equip the Bracers of Archery (+2 to hit with missile weapons), stock up on potions of agility, and she peppers targets just like Bullseye...or the Blue Raja. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img] Right now she gets 4 attacks per round, even without being Hasted. [img]graemlins/awesomework.gif[/img]

Instead of trying to stack 400 darts, just create a dart that returns. Edit a normal dart and set the "charges spent per use" to 0, so the dart never disappears.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote