Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Jimmy Joe Jamboree
Elite Waterdeep Guard

FFFFFF">End Game Spoilers
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~

Alright boy n girls

Who would win in a fight between Jon Irenicus and Amelyssan the Blackhearted?

J
i
m
m
y

[ 01-23-2005, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 01-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #2
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

It wouldn't be much of a fight -

Mega SoA and ToB spoilers
#
#
#
#
#
#
Amelyssan would waste him every time - she's practically a god after all. And Improved Amelyssan could do it in her sleep. Assuming that Johnny-boy kept your soul and successfully sucked the tree of life to death he would put up a fight. But his plans were far advanced when the PC stumbles upon him and he still falls relatively easily...
Old 01-22-2005, 12:42 PM   #3
Magness
Quintesson

I agree with shamrock. And let's face it, in game terms, Irenicus is balanced to fight a party of ~level 20 or so characters. Amelyssan is balanced to fight a much tougher party.

Thus Amelyssan the Blackhearted should kick Jon-boy's butt each time, every time.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:43 PM   #4
Q'alooaith
Emerald Dragon

Yes, but [charname] is able to take both down..

No with the SoA XP limit's Jon boy's a little harder than when under ToB limits..

So I think it'd be a closer match than you think, maybe think of it like the PC in the fight instead of the NPC jon as you stop him before his plans come to frution.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
Jimmy Joe Jamboree
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ok, this of it like this:

This is the scene:

Irenicus killed the PC and successfully managed to absorb the energies from the tree of life.

Amelyssan had gained all the power of the Bhaalspawn bar one, yours, and the only way she can become a 'goddess' is to kill Irenicus in order to get the essence.

And so a fight ensues...

J
i
m
m
y
Old 01-22-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
Gopher Bait
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think neither would win; the gods would intervene because the racket of the fight would prevent them from sleeping.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:22 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Jonny boy form the Final battle in Ascension is very powerful. But I still think that ToB Final boss would win.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:25 PM   #8
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

If Irenicus has the power of the Bhaalspawn and the power of the Tree of Life in him, wouldn't already be a god?

I'm not sure, but I would want Irenicus to win. Amelyssan depends alot on her summoned pets.

--Kestrel--
Old 01-22-2005, 07:48 PM   #9
untouchable
Manshoon

Amelysan would win because she is immune to time stop and many spells and a high magic resistance. Hence Irenicus would have trouble beating her up
If we are talking about impoved Irenicus vs. Acension Amelysan, it would be closer but Amelysan would still be victorious.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:34 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

First off, we have to assume that it's something on the level of Improved Irenicus we're talking here, because the only thing that the standard Irenicus does well is die. He casts, what, one Mislead before you whack him?

Second, Irenicus's "normal" power level (during the final battle) is difficult to determine....he has absorbed much power from the Tree of Life, true, but Ellesime says that severing his connection will leave him stunned and disoriented, making his hold on that new power very tenuous. This is probably why his Tree of Life is such a pushover. The fact that he's a little bit more respectable in the final battle likely speaks to him recovering some of his poise.

Irenicus does not plan to assume godhood by assuming Bhaal's portfolio--absorbing the Tree of Life is enough to assure celestial status. He and Bodhi are interested in Bhaalspawn simply because, if you're in the market for a couple of souls, why settle for less than the best?

As for Amelysan, though.....she DOES depend mainly on her summons, as Kestrel pointed out. Remove her Slayer Shadows and her Fallen Solar with a Vorpal Bow, and she's just another hacked Cleric/Mage with a cheesy Spear.

I say, the question is this: Could a solo Amelysan beat Improved Irenicus? Answer: NO, thanks to the sheer cheese of Weimer's Shatter Magic. I haven't pried open the spell to see precisely what it does, but from what I've seen, it removes ALL dispellable effects on the targeted creature, lowers the creature's Magic Resistance by 50% for about 1 turn, disrupts any spell currently being cast, and imposes roughly 50% Spellcasting Failure for the same amount of time. Irenicus casts about 3 of these during the first 2 rounds of combat, so unless Amelysan can decoy him into wasting them (and all subsequent ones) on her Summons, and get the Orb of Fear to waste its Anti-Magic Rays in a similar manner, she doesn't stand a ghost of a chance. Barring the even-cheesier Preserving Boots, of course.
Closed Thread