Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-27-2004, 06:18 AM   #11
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Irongrinder:
quote:
Originally posted by Spirits forever:

Hurrah TO tabbed browsing!
that being said.. is service pack two free or do you pay for it? cause i need to install it on my parents comp. since they "can't" use Firefox..
If there is one thing I will never use in firefox it'll be the tabbed browsing. I really hate that, but apart from that Firefox is definately better then IE [/QUOTE]Why? It realy saves on taskbar clutter, and with the right extensions (= anything but TBE), it can be made even better.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM   #12
Irongrinder

I like to have a complete sight of open pages and programs on my taskbar so I can click on it right away. I don't want to have to search in one page's tabs as well.

also, I use two monitors and I often need to look at two pages at the same time (one being an input page, the other being an output page for example)

I do try to avoid cluttering the taskbar with too many windows open, but I would always do that, tabs or not

[ 11-27-2004, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Irongrinder ]
Old 11-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #13
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Odd, I actually find using tabs more efficient. I can open the program I want, then go to the page I want within that program, rather than having to guess the right Window straight away (which I usually get wrong because I can't see the titles). And you can force thw width of tabs to always be a certain number of pixels, no matter what, meaning you won't get the problem of them being too short to be able to have enough information. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Fo having an input page and an output page, Firefox is more than capable of using tabs and windows at once. And if you get the duplicate tab or clone window extension, you can copy a tab - including all of it's history - into a new Window. But, to each his own for that is the Firefox ideal. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2004, 06:53 AM   #14
Irongrinder

hehe, it's probably also a bit of being stubborn involved with not using tabs

I usually just try to not have more then 3 browser pages open, by using the bookmarks a lot
Old 11-28-2004, 09:47 PM   #15
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Ok, if you think that vulnerbility is bad, look at this vulnerability. Reported as highly critical, and it's still unpatched over a year later! For those who will undoubtedly say that MS mightn't know about it, remember that Secunia advise the vendor of the problem before they make it public...
Old 11-29-2004, 02:47 AM   #16
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
Originally posted by Irongrinder:
quote:
Originally posted by Spirits forever:

Hurrah TO tabbed browsing!
that being said.. is service pack two free or do you pay for it? cause i need to install it on my parents comp. since they "can't" use Firefox..
If there is one thing I will never use in firefox it'll be the tabbed browsing. I really hate that, but apart from that Firefox is definately better then IE [/QUOTE]Why? It realy saves on taskbar clutter, and with the right extensions (= anything but TBE), it can be made even better. [/QUOTE]I dunno about Spirits Forever, but the reason I don't use tabs is that I am so ingrained in my habit of closing windows in the topmost closing thingy, that I would never remember to close a tab and I would close all the pages instead of just the one I'm on. I did this when I was computing with my brother who is a tabber and we were booking train journeys and I closed one page that I didn't need anymore and ended up closing everything and lost all sorts of stuff and had to go google to find it again. Never again!

My IE doesn't even work anymore. You can't go three links without it encountering a fatal error and shutting down. Although I don't use firefox, but Netscape, although I notice my brother has got firefox downloaded so I might give it a try. I like Netscape though!
Old 11-29-2004, 06:19 AM   #17
LennonCook
Jack Burton

There is very little difference between Firefox and Netscape. They use the same rendering engine, but Firefox is more customizable (and so, personalisable) and more secure (Netscape is almost as bad as IE). Also Firefox doesn't have plugs to other AOL products, like AIM, which Netscape seems to be riddled with.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:15 AM   #18
Azeral
Manshoon

Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox all came from the same orginal browser design so the are just variants where people remove things or add things to their liking.

[ 11-29-2004, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Azeral ]
Old 11-29-2004, 04:41 PM   #19
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Azeral:
Netscape, Mozilla, Firefox all came from the same orginal browser design so the are just variants where people remove things or add things to their liking.
To a point, yes. They run on the same engine - Gecko (but then, so do K-Meleon, Epiphony, Konquerer, Galeon, Nautilus...), but that doesn't make them the same browser. Netscape, like a few of the others, runs on a different front-end. or, at least, different widget sets. It doesn't have the ability to theme beyond their barely-differing default two (so you're stuck with the but ugly icons that take up a quarter of the screen), you cannot opt to have smaller icons, you can't change which icons are showing... and the Bookmark this Page functionality doesn't seem to work. Netscape implements MS ActiveX technology, which is the cause of alot of IE's problems aswell, and they don't seem to add in the security fixes that Mozilla come out with for the non-ActiveX flaws (like a couple that have been unpatched since 2002, that are fixed in both Seamonkey and Firefox).
Old 11-29-2004, 05:22 PM   #20
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
The latest bug around

Well, after all the money spent on SP2 you have to wonder while IE is really worth it.
I tried both of the exploits on the link and neither worked, or at least they didn't work like I thought they would. Maybe they've been fixed recently.
The "save as" exploit showed that the file being saved wasn't an image file (it was something like 'Funny Joke.gif.hta'), and the "exec" exploit didn't automatically download anything, although it DID pop up a download box that showed it was trying to download an executable.