Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-09-2004, 08:37 AM   #21
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

That was very...undiplomatic Hivetyrant, especially as he was asked to post in this thread.

Lennon: Can the Fluxbox window manager be installed on any distro? I use KDE at the moment, tried a 'minimalist' one (IceWM i think) but couldn't get it to work at all, so would gladly try Fluxbox if its possible.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:45 AM   #22
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
That was very...undiplomatic Hivetyrant, especially as he was asked to post in this thread.
You have to understand that I have this argument with him every week, and he make more and more stupid points every time, when he is proven wrong, he changes the situation to suit his argument, and well I wont go further.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:29 AM   #23
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Hey guys it's a healthy argument... and as much as Lennon is biased or whatever we all have our opinions on this. It's an open thread as I see it unless Intrepid says otherwise I suppose.

It's a thread about opinions... some will agree disagree, but then please try not to be frustrated guys... it's an OS, and find one to whatever will suit your need. That's the bottom line. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2004, 09:52 AM   #24
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

no no, it's open.
it's purpose is to debate what is good about linux/windows, and offer another side to the windows/linux argument.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:53 AM   #25
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I can see how that might get frustrating Hivetyrant I find a windows vs linux argument once a month is good for your health. Any more is bad for the blood pressure
Old 11-09-2004, 10:02 AM   #26
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Well, my final opinion on the subject is that I wouldn't recommend Linux to someone who isn't a computer 'hobbyist' or has easy access to one.

I think its made great leaps and bounds, but when things go wrong, the solution is often not as easy to fix without knowledge about exactly what has occurred. For example, after I installed my video drivers, X (the GUI) refused to start up and I was presented with a nice console. This gave me a heart attack given I'd only been using Linux for about 1 day [img]tongue.gif[/img] It would be no problem now - I know what to do, how to fix it and I don't need a GUI to get things done. In Windows however, all you have to do is kick it into safe mode and change the drivers. It's much easier to use for the casual user.

The other side of the coin is when something goes wrong in Windows you end up wishing you have a console to boot into and fix it without having to 'repair' it with the setup cd. There's no doubt that you miss a lot of Linux features when using Windows.

But I think that to make Linux work for you in the same way that an experienced WinXP user has Windows working for them requires a little dedication and a willingness to devote some time and effort into learning about it. It is this that is the greatest barrier to widespread use of Linux. Luckily, you can easily dual-boot and acclimatise yourself slowly though [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 11-09-2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
Old 11-09-2004, 10:07 AM   #27
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I don't know exactly how user friendly linux or open source OS supposed to be, but my colleague tried to install a copy of FreeBSD. Some wierd error keeps popping up preventing the software from being installed (can't remember what the mumbo jumbo said).

I searched high and low through the net and can't seems to find any solution to his problem.

Evetually he quits and FreeBSD was not installed. Maybe FreeBSD wasn't as user friendly as RedHat Linux, but seeing how he nearly pulled all his hair out over the installation problem, I decided not to give it a try either.

Honestly, I do enjoy using Windows because of the wide selections of software and games titles available.

Maybe some version/flavor of Linux is as good as you claim to be, but not having these cool programs and games to run on seems to make Linux a poor choice for me. After all, the reason why I use PC instead of Mac is because of the great selections of software and games available.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:41 AM   #28
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
Can the Fluxbox window manager be installed on any distro? I use KDE at the moment, tried a 'minimalist' one (IceWM i think) but couldn't get it to work at all, so would gladly try Fluxbox if its possible.
Yep it can be installed on any distro. But what couldn't you get to work with icewm cause they don't differ a lot. Some extra stuff here and there but the idea is about the same.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:49 AM   #29
philip
Galvatron

shamrock_uk hits the nail right. I don't care about an error if it gives me info in solving it. I've had my share of errors in linux and I had to get my wireless internet working which was the first thing I needed. So I had to compile a new kernel when I was just using it. I did some stupid things had to recompile again but every error I came by so far I could fix. Now look at windows it spits errors, no useful info and some I haven't been able to fix.

There are a few things that linux is at disadvantage, gaming is one of them and some software is just not cross-platform and the alternative versions don't have everything the real program has like compare GIMP to the newest Photoshop. The learning curve is a bit steeper especially if you want to use it at higher level (where it rocks windows). windows just has the advantage that everyone is used to it and knows how to work it at least a bit. To switch you just need to get the hang of and other info.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:10 PM   #30
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I'll say it again to all those put off: Mandrake!! I got mine on a cover DVD on The Complete Linux Handbook magazine. It was about 15 pounds altgother, but included a ton of apps and an inch thick magazine packed full of helpful info. That is the route I would suggest to those who are considering starting. Having seen several distributions in action now, I still wouldn't put anything on my computer.

Thanks Phillip, I shall download that at some point. Re. IceWM - to be honest I'm not sure. I came to the conclusion that the package that was installed was broken in some way, because I just couldn't get functionality out of it. I tried left-clicking, right-clicking, trying to persuade the single visible 'menu' part to produce some kind of dialogue or menu but nothing happened. To explain it better - picture a blank desktop that didn't respond to right-clicks with the only visible icon being the 'start' button which refuses to be moved or interacted with in any way. It was most peculiar. It wasn't installed by default, which is why I assumed it was probably a beta or something and therefore broken on my machine. I don't think I could have missed anything...