Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-31-2001, 02:40 PM   #31
Raistlin
Manshoon

Does the bible state that the earth is not the center of the universe?
I do not recall that being mentioned. Seems to me the conversation was always
based on morals, ethics and God.

------------------

Balance
Old 03-31-2001, 02:43 PM   #32
Raistlin
Manshoon

BK.... very close to my own views.

------------------

Balance
Old 03-31-2001, 02:47 PM   #33
Rikard

Well first of all i wonder why the english always leave the US away
Paul instaed of Paulus
Mercury instead of Mercurius
Saturn instead of Satrunus
must be some old thing

Anyway
When Copernmicus published De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium (about the movement of heavenly body's) he was accused for taking on the church
And it is actually the present pope Johannus Paulus II who admitted in 1992 that Copernicus idea of the Heliocentric universe was the correct on
That is Half a millenia after Copernicus died.
That was after Voyerer was send to the planets and the Lunalandings

------------------

All Hail the Seventh house Sorcerer
Master Magician of Necromancy
Prince Rikard T'Aranaxz of Natri'x
Clanmaster and Mental Father of the OHF
Ramanish of Neathan'Calith
High Priest and son of the Eternal Phoenix
Shadowlord of the Silver Shield
Baron of Yusliks
Duke of Gerdran
Duke of Tralixz
Lord and General of the Army of the West

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!

Old 03-31-2001, 02:47 PM   #34
Raistlin
Manshoon

Well it has been real, it has been fun. I won't say that it has been real fun though. I'm taking off, c'ya later.

------------------

Balance
Old 03-31-2001, 02:50 PM   #35
Rikard

Now I'm not a Christian
Though i have been on a Katholic school

But i actually do think their has to be some higher power
but what i keep thinking about
When did this power get created
There has to be a beginning

------------------

Baron of Yusliks
Duke of Gerdran
Duke of Tralixz

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!

Old 03-31-2001, 02:51 PM   #36
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

Jeromes View of Religion:

Humans are *aware*, concious and cognicent, unlike the majority (if not all) of the rest of the animal kingdom. Because the "animals" do not have the ability to question, to ponder, to *think* or rationize (yes even Puff ) they know their purpose: to live, reproduce and care for their offsprings well being till the parent dies (im genrilizing i know, but bear with me).

Humans do have that ability, and thus with it, gain the trait of being extremley selfish! They refuse to belive they *will* die, and life shall continue without them! Religion is just the easy reassurance, a nice way of feeling secure in the thought everything will be good in the end. It wont, tough....deal with it.

------------------

Jerome, Arch Nemisis of the OHF
Old 03-31-2001, 02:54 PM   #37
Rikard

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerome:
Jeromes View of Religion:

Humans are *aware*, concious and cognicent, unlike the majority (if not all) of the rest of the animal kingdom. Because the "animals" do not have the ability to question, to ponder, to *think* or rationize (yes even Puff ) they know their purpose: to live, reproduce and care for their offsprings well being till the parent dies (im genrilizing i know, but bear with me).

Humans do have that ability, and thus with it, gain the trait of being extremley selfish! They refuse to belive they *will* die, and life shall continue without them! Religion is just the easy reassurance, a nice way of feeling secure in the thought everything will be good in the end. It wont, tough....deal with it.

But is that such a bad thing?
It gives people the idea that the have reason to live

------------------

Baron of Yusliks
Duke of Gerdran
Duke of Tralixz

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!

Old 03-31-2001, 03:00 PM   #38
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin:
The bible would be a lousy reference. It was written down over many decades
by numerous authors. On top of that what was written about was passed on by word of mouth.
We all know how word of mouth can be distorted by numerous recountings.

Raistlin,
Actually Celtic society was not literate and scorned the use of writing as it weakens the memory. Their bards trained for twenty years and recited their tales from memory. Numerous recounting can indeed distort truth, but so too can an individuals bias in writing. Rewriting from a source distorts it further.

Whether or not you agree with the theological implications of the Bible, as an historical reference it is actually quite accurate. For example, other cultures of the era and area, like the Assyrians only really wrote about their victories, not their defeats. The Bible lists humiliation and defeat, upon humiliation and defeat, on it's authors.

The measurements, family trees, and other seemingly unecessary facts about the sizes of the temple, new laws passed by King Whoevertheheck, and names of exiles returning, indicate an astounding dedication to fact, truth and accuracy.

The other thing is that there are four Gospels, from at least two seperate original sources that when crosschecked support rather than contradict each other as would be expected.

Just because you don't agree with the theological content is a poor reason to disgard the historical writings contained, or the poetry and songs or the Confucious-like wise sayings within.

We are talking also about detailed writings about the life of an individual who has impacted the world more than any other human in history. To write such a figure off as mythical ignores precedented patterns of fame and influence. There is no reason to doubt Buddha existed, nor Confucious or Sun Tsu or David of Israel, Alexander the Great, Napoleon or Plato. Thus as a human Jesus of Nazareth most assuredly existed. To accord the massive influence to a mythical figure and then propose that other, less impacting and less documented individuals were factual, is a most bizzare position to try and take.

The issue is whether you agree with his statements or not, not whether or not he was around to make them.

------------------
"Check the sustain on this one ... aaaaaaaa, I mean you could go out for a bite and there'd still be aaaaaaaaa"

"Can I touch it?"
"No. It can't be played"
"Can I look at it?
"No we've seen enough of that one....."

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 03-31-2001, 03:02 PM   #39
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

A thought? False hope is no way to live a life, and you only have one Rikard. Spending your time worshiping a deity is not the way to feel fulfilled.
On his deathbed, Albert Einstein was heard to say ; "My work here is done"

He truley felt comfortable with death and belived he was here to work, to achive and to live on in the minds of the next generation. That is a purpose, and one that makes sense and benifits everyone.

------------------

Jerome, Arch Nemisis of the OHF
Old 03-31-2001, 03:03 PM   #40
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I got busy with other things. I really did want to chat. Don't want to intrude on the conversation, but while I have Rikard's attention for a minute. I want to thank you Rikard, you are the reason I joined the board. Thanks! I would love to have a deep intellectual conversation when I have more time.

------------------
Reeka--The Hand of Death O_H_F
Lady in Waiting (the question is waiting for what?)
Yes, I do get cold. That is why I need someone to warm me up.
No, I did not lose the rest of my outfit!
Does anyone feel a draft or is it me?
Official Party Planner of the Moon's Hope Inn
Does this make me a party girl?
Proud Member of the Ladies Guild