Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Dungeon Craft - RPG Game Maker

Old 06-15-2003, 10:34 AM   #1
manikus
Jack Burton

what is the preferred picture format? is there a real interest in layered icons (such as those available at dreamlands)?
i think there is a real drawback to layered icons in that they are not directly importable to dungeon craft. there may be a lot of would-be designers turned off by artwork in a format that they cannot readily use.

[img]graemlins/1druid.gif[/img]

-manikus
Old 06-15-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
Steve McDonald
The Magister

I really like the layered photoshop files. They are so much more flexible. They allow you to feel like you're making your own icons and it's much easier than starting from scratch. If photoshop layered files are available, other people will make variations on those icons and upload them in png or bmp format, so we'll still get the files for immediate use in DC.

Please let's not discourage people from posting more layered icon files.

Otherwise I think the png format is best.
Steve McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 10:05 PM   #3
manikus
Jack Burton

let me start off by saying, this would be so much easier if i knew how to quote other messages. [img]smile.gif[/img]

re: layered icons- i am all for them. i love the stuff that joerg has done. my goblin and orc icons are layered files. i've got some stuff i'm working on that are layered, just because it's easier that way. but, while i have it, i don't use photoshop. i use paintshop pro. it's easy for me to look at photoshop layered graphics in paintshop pro, but for some reason, colors sometimes get changed when i switch a file from .psp to .psd.

re: the rest-
.png hands down. i've been reading about people 'claiming' that .bmp has better color clarity. honestly, i can't tell the difference. i just know that .png files are smaller. whereas, you can pretty easily see the color deterioration in .jpg. (and 256 colors is too restrictive. you know, for .gif.)

thanks for responding, steve. sometimes i feel like the only out here. [img]tongue.gif[/img] i know i'm not, but sometimes it's so quiet...

-manikus
Old 06-17-2003, 04:57 PM   #4
Judas Maccabeus
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve McDonald:
I really like the layered photoshop files. They are so much more flexible. They allow you to feel like you're making your own icons and it's much easier than starting from scratch. If photoshop layered files are available, other people will make variations on those icons and upload them in png or bmp format, so we'll still get the files for immediate use in DC.

Please let's not discourage people from posting more layered icon files.
As long as they give us regular icons as well.
<br /><br />\'Far be it from me to do such a thing as flee from them! If our time has come, let us die bravely for our kinsmen and not leave a stain upon our glory!\'<br />--1 Maccabees 9:10
Judas Maccabeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 07:48 PM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by manikus:
what is the preferred picture format? is there a real interest in layered icons (such as those available at dreamlands)?
i think there is a real drawback to layered icons in that they are not directly importable to dungeon craft. there may be a lot of would-be designers turned off by artwork in a format that they cannot readily use.

-manikus
As an Artist using Photoshop, I have ALWAYS used Targa files. you get 100% quality. All the official art is done in TGA first, then converted to PCX or BMP.

I personally don't like png formats, they can be buggy.
TGA's also allow 32bit transparency, which most games these days use. All your FPS games all use TGA files now. I love the format! [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 08:15 PM   #6
Joerg
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Uarghhh... I am back... My ISP got me locked out from the net for 4 weeks...

OK, concerning the files: Color-clarity has nothing to do with the file you are using. As long as it has 16 or 24 bits per pixel, you get the full RGB spectrum for these files. Targa is seriously outdated as a file. TIFF is still industry-standard and works quite well in print. For internet or screen-usage, JPEG, GIF and PNG are the best choices. BMP is not much different than a 24bit PNG - but BMP has no data-compression, making it the least compact of all file-types mentioned.

My personal preference is:

If I need to work with a file: PSD (Photoshop), CPT (Corel Photopaint) or Paintshop-Pro (all formats layered for easier use)

For game usage: PNG! Nothing else...
Joerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:12 AM   #7
Kaltusara
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wow - I've just been to the weirdest wedding on the planet.
All but ten people left at 8:30pm to go home to bed. Bizarre.

I must say I agree with Joerg.

For me, the size of png files more than make up for the
slight loss in clarity over bmp's.
For small/big pics/walls(That will be used alot) etc. the
loss is more apparent, but for icons it's not really a problem.
Perhaps it's best to offer both formats to suit peoples
connection speeds.
Kaltusara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:13 AM   #8
Tarlanon
Manshoon

Being 'Graphiclly Challenged' as I am (I still use PaintShop Pro version4, and that has stuff I don't even know how to use yet! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ), I am all for folks using whatever formats they like to keep producing those great looking icons/pics/walls, etc.! My only request is that the icons are 'shipped' in a format ready to be deployed in DC.

I'm glad DC has all you great artists out there! It makes DC a 'work of art'

[ 06-18-2003, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Tarlanon ]
Old 06-19-2003, 01:50 AM   #9
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Joerg:
Uarghhh... I am back... My ISP got me locked out from the net for 4 weeks...

OK, concerning the files: Color-clarity has nothing to do with the file you are using. As long as it has 16 or 24 bits per pixel, you get the full RGB spectrum for these files. Targa is seriously outdated as a file. TIFF is still industry-standard and works quite well in print. For internet or screen-usage, JPEG, GIF and PNG are the best choices. BMP is not much different than a 24bit PNG - but BMP has no data-compression, making it the least compact of all file-types mentioned.

My personal preference is:

If I need to work with a file: PSD (Photoshop), CPT (Corel Photopaint) or Paintshop-Pro (all formats layered for easier use)

For game usage: PNG! Nothing else...
Well, I've developed a few games, and helped on others. And have dug into the 'guts' of nearly every current game out today, and nearly EVERY ONE uses TGA (Targa). You say Targa is outdated?! lol, dude, it's STILL around because it's the best! Microsoft games use it, Fightsim2003, Unreal T 2003, All the Quake games. Everything. The reason is it has zero lossiness, and can have 32 bit coverage (Transparency).

I'm in the business guy, and we have ALL used TGA and PSD exclusively. For website images, stick to JPG, GIF. High standard work is always done using Targa.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 01:32 PM   #10
manikus
Jack Burton

Quote:
ziroc wrote:
Well, I've developed a few games, and helped on others. And have dug into the 'guts' of nearly every current game out today, and nearly EVERY ONE uses TGA (Targa). You say Targa is outdated?! lol, dude, it's STILL around because it's the best! Microsoft games use it, Fightsim2003, Unreal T 2003, All the Quake games. Everything. The reason is it has zero lossiness, and can have 32 bit coverage (Transparency).
thanks for the info, ziroc. that would explain why just about every game you look into uses .tga.
i've been shown what i was doing wrong when changing .psp into .psd so now i can put up layered icons in .psd
i will still be putting up in .png for the rest, just because of the size. and i'll probably put up icons in .png as well (if for nothing else, as examples of what's in the layered file.)

-manikus

[ 06-22-2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: manikus ]