Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-27-2004, 08:57 PM   #11
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Kakero, you're asking for trouble mate, and tryina sound 'ard by saying you read the newspaper while driving actually just makes you sound like a fool who doesn't know what they're doing IMO.
How long have you been driving mate? Don't you have some kind of " tracking system or homing system or whatever they call it " imprinted into your mind after driving the same road for many years?
Old 02-27-2004, 10:06 PM   #12
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Kakero, you're asking for trouble mate, and tryina sound 'ard by saying you read the newspaper while driving actually just makes you sound like a fool who doesn't know what they're doing IMO.
How long have you been driving mate? Don't you have some kind of " tracking system or homing system or whatever they call it " imprinted into your mind after driving the same road for many years? [/QUOTE]I knew the boy who died in my arms, and I knew his parents very well as well as the hardship they went through to have him. It's a shame that fools like you continue to drive on our roads and continue to destroy innocent families. Whatever respect I ever may have had for you, Kakero is gone.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:51 PM   #13
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I feel for you, Animal. Death is never easy, and death that could have been avoided... Pah.

Out here, a trial is under way for a 20-year-old girl, a nanny for a local family, who was driving and talking on her cell phone in the family's hummer. She ran a red light, creamed a suburban, and killed a 12-year-old boy. She's up for at least manslaughter, if not higher.

I remember when I was young, driving around. I was amazed at how many things I saw on the road. Now, a few years later, I'm amazed at how many things I miss. Like today: pulled out of the neighborhood, and as I looked in my rear-view mirror, there was a car RIGHT THERE. I must have cut him off pulling out... but I didn't see him.

Now, am I not seeing things like I used to, or am I noticing more of what I missed than I used to? I just don't know... but I'm going to give a second look at that corner from now on.

Peace. I light a candle for you.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:59 PM   #14
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
I knew the boy who died in my arms, and I knew his parents very well as well as the hardship they went through to have him. It's a shame that fools like you continue to drive on our roads and continue to destroy innocent families. Whatever respect I ever may have had for you, Kakero is gone.
Think first before you post Animal. It's a shame that some people cannot think clearly for 1 seconds that different people from different country who live in a place where it's so secluded that on the way to buy the newspaper from the tuckshop where there is no traffic whatsoever or houses that can be count up on 1 hand . Do you really think that apart from that ( go buy the newspaper ) situation I DARE drive the car " blindfolded" ?

I am really sorry for any hardship you might inccur Animal. I am also sorry just because of that you have thought of that " respect " thing.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:06 PM   #15
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
What a terrible thing to happen, Animal, and for you to have to experience first hand. Hearing about that kind of thing (accident is just not the right word, is it ) is awful, but to be there, or worse, to be the family must be unbelievably hard.

Kakero, I can understand kind of where you're coming from - sometimes it can seem like you can drive a certain route on autopilot or blindfolded, you know every turn and where the car is always parked on the side of the road and the pattern of red lights like the back of your hand, but you can never ever know when a child is going to run out onto the road, or some sort of obstacle is left on the road that might cause you to skid, or an animal is sleeping in the middle of the street. I think to be blase about that is pretty irresponsible at best. At the very least, for me, the huge amount of guilt and shame I would feel if I hit someone from my own carelessness or inattention is enough to make me be alert when I drive, all the time regardless of whether I've driven it once or one thousand times.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:39 AM   #16
Nerull
Lord Ao

Exactly. Just because it is the same road does not mean it is the same environment. In the U.S., people doing everything except driving is just rampant. It has to be at least 40% of the drivers that I have personally seen doing stuff they shouldn't be while driving (eating, doing homework, talking on cell phone while putting information into a PDA, playing with dogs and/or children in their lap, etc.). There were two cases last year where women were arrested for breastfeeding while driving. I keep reading how Americans are more "productive" now; people are starting to cram more and more work into their lives, and doing less and less of the important stuff. They have to cram stuff into driving time, into home time (taking away from the children), etc. I can't speak for other cultures, but it has gotten to be ridiculous. I feel for you, Animal, but I wish I could say it's going to improve. But it won't; it's been steadily getting worse. I actually ride the bus now; it takes longer to get to where I'm going, but it is MUCH less stressful.

My condolences, Animal.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 02-28-2004, 01:39 AM   #17
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
I'm with you, Animal. It irritates the HELL out of me to see people acting foolish or eating/drinking or applying makeup or TALKING ON THEIR PHONES while driving. I refuse to ride with someone on the phone. I usually end up answering the phone for the driver. It works.
Though perhaps you were a tad hard on Kakero, even if you were blinded by passion, as I suspect.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 02-28-2004, 01:42 AM   #18
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
quote:
Originally posted by Animal:
I knew the boy who died in my arms, and I knew his parents very well as well as the hardship they went through to have him. It's a shame that fools like you continue to drive on our roads and continue to destroy innocent families. Whatever respect I ever may have had for you, Kakero is gone.
Think first before you post Animal. It's a shame that some people cannot think clearly for 1 seconds that different people from different country who live in a place where it's so secluded that on the way to buy the newspaper from the tuckshop where there is no traffic whatsoever or houses that can be count up on 1 hand . Do you really think that apart from that ( go buy the newspaper ) situation I DARE drive the car " blindfolded" ?

I am really sorry for any hardship you might inccur Animal. I am also sorry just because of that you have thought of that " respect " thing.
[/QUOTE]Is there no responsibility with drivers license. I do not know where you call home, Kakero, nor do I wish to based upon your flippant comments. Irregardless of whether or not the road you are traveling on is barren or not, you should still be aware of your surroundings.

I hope you never have to feel what I feel right now, or be subjected to the loss I have incurred due to irresponsible drivers in my life. Life, unlike a newspaper, is not black and white.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:02 AM   #19
Epona
Zartan

Animal, what an awful thing to happen.

I agree, if people are behind the wheel they should be paying full attention to the road with no distractions.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:51 AM   #20
SomeGuy
Unicorn

Animal, that is a very sad thing to happen, and I'm so sorry to hear what happened. I think maybe we'd have a little more safety if they enforced laws or something that keep people from having certain distractions on the road.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi