Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2001, 10:34 AM   #1
hohenstaufen

hi when or how do i get my mage/clerics to learn the better spells.

my aerie is a level 9 mage'but can only cast level 5 spells despite knowing plenty of level 6 spells.

but i have no slots for memorising these level 6 spells so cannot cast them.

how or when do i get to memorise these spells once i have learned them??

thanx

Old 01-20-2001, 10:48 AM   #2
dentar

You'll just have to wait untill you get a higher level. My aerie is level 12 and she's got 2 level 6 spells memorised.

Old 01-20-2001, 10:58 AM   #3
hohenstaufen

but how does the system work??

i thought mage and spell levels would be the same??

Old 01-20-2001, 11:06 AM   #4
Zoratorak
Welcomed New User

hmmm.... here is how it goes...

you can memorize as much as you want (for a mage, not for a socerer)
BUT at certain levels you can only be able to cast a NUMBER of spells in your spellbook...

the specialty mages have one extra slot to be able to cast spells BUT they will not be able to cast anything for the opposition school. meaning.. if you are a necromancer you will not be able to cast any illusion spells because it is an opposition school.

hope this helps... remember that even though you can memorize everyspell in the game... you can only cast a few spells... (and the no. of spells you can cast also depends on you int and wis stats)

GL
Old 01-20-2001, 11:11 AM   #5
BLACK KNIGHT

It has something to do with level and INT stats. Trying taking a potion of clarity or some potion that raises your INT.

BK

Old 01-20-2001, 11:12 AM   #6
dentar

I don't know how it exactly works but I think there should be a table in your manual. At least there was one in BGI.(Idon't have the BGII manual). If a priest or a mage go level up sometimes you get extra memorise slots for some spell levels. I think aerie will get a 6th level spell with her next level up.

Old 01-20-2001, 11:19 AM   #7
dentar

does INT have an effect on the number of spells you can cast? I tought it only effect the number of spells you can learn wich can be incraesed with potions.No?

Old 01-20-2001, 11:24 AM   #8
Ramon

The spell memorization ability of a mage increases with his experience level. There is a table in the back of the manual that tells you exactly how many spells of which spell levels a mage can use at his /her current experience level. So, in case that that is your question: spell levels and character experience levels are two separate concepts.
Also, using/memorizing spells is different from copying spells from scrolls to the spellbook: a first level mage can copy a level 9 spell to his spellbook, but then has to wait all the way until he/she reaches level 18 (what will never happen in this game
unless you remove the experience cap) to be finally able to memorize/use the spell. He/she could, of course, instead opt for just using the spell -immediately but only once - from the scroll.

I hope I was helpful.

So long,

Ramon

Old 01-20-2001, 01:49 PM   #9
Entreri
Manshoon

Int is what the mage need. the more int he is, the better he is. That's logic no? This is like the cleric with Wisdom. he gots more spells if he has high wisdom. Page 229 of the manual of BG2 has the spell progression for the mage. And page 226 the INT table with all the stats you get with your int score. Like if you have 13 int, you cannot cast higher that 6th spell level. And a max of 9 learned spells in each spells levels. And a 18 int you can cast 9th spells level and 18 spells of each level in yous spell book. And the number of memorized spells increase with your experience level. Look at the 2 pages I gave you and you will know it all.
Old 01-20-2001, 11:12 PM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Originally posted by hohenstaufen:

but how does the system work??
i thought mage and spell levels would be the same??

Mage:
The level and amount of scrolls you can scribe onto your spellbook is determined by your intelligence, NOT your experience level. If you are playing core rules and above your int will also influence your probabilities of successfully scribing spells to your spellbook.

The level of spells you can MEMORIZE from your spellbook is determined by your experience level.

Cleric:
Clerics draw their powers from their deities directly so they don't have to scribe spells, so if their XP level means they can cast level 6 spells, they can memorize ANY of those spells. If they can't cast level 6 spells then NONE of the level 6 spells will be available or even visible. This is probably why you're looking at Aerie's cleric spells and comparing them with her mage spells and wondering why certain high level mage spells are visible but unselectable. These are spells you must've scribed from scrolls but can't cast yet.

Hope this clears it up for you.