Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-12-2001, 03:49 AM   #1
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Tragedy or a Blessing?

Years ago in Scotland, the Clark family had a dream. Clark and his wife worked and saved, making plans for their nine children and themselves to travel to the United States. It had taken years, but they had finally saved enough money and had gotten passports and reservations for the whole family on a new liner to the United States.

The entire family was filled with anticipation and excitement about their new life. However, seven days before their departure, the youngest son was bitten by a dog. The doctor sewed up the boy but hung a yellow sheet on the Clarks' front door. Because of the possibility of rabies, they were being quarantined for fourteen days.

The family's dreams were dashed. They would not be able to make the trip to America as they had planned. The father, filled with disappointment and anger, stomped to the dock to watch the ship leave - without the Clark family. The father shed tears of disappointment and cursed both his son and God for their misfortune.

Five days later, the tragic news spread throughout Scotland - the mighty Tittanic had sunk. The unsinkable ship had sunk, taking hundreds of lives with it. The Clark family was to have been on that ship, but because the son had been bitten by a dog, they were left behind in Scotland.

When Mr. Clark heard the news, he hugged his son and thanked him for saving the family. He thanked God for saving their lives and turning what he had felt was a tragedy into a blessing.

Although we may not always understand, all things happen for a reason.

Old 09-12-2001, 03:51 AM   #2
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

There's a difference between a dog bite and this, however. BTW, 250, what time is it where you are? It's morning here, so it would be the middle of the night in America.

------------------

Kazara

Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-12-2001, 03:53 AM   #3
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Cheering Me On

I close my eyes as tight as they can go.

The lights go off, and my imagination switches on. Pictures flash through my mind like an old film from the fifties.

I remember driving home by myself for the first time. Now, I look into the future and imagine that I am walking across the stage to receive my college diploma. The years pass, and I hear my fianc ?say "I do." I look further and listen to the gentle gurgles coming from my baby's nursery. A smile discreetly appears as memories past and thoughts of the future travel through my soul.

I journey to memories of my high school graduation, and a tear suddenly trickles down my cheek. I look into the bleachers packed with families and friends. I see my parents wrapped in pride, and I look to their side for Katie and Kevin's approval. But Katie, my older sister, is not there.

My eyes abruptly open as I am snapped back into reality. I remember being called out of Spanish class in tenth grade and taken to the hospital to see Katie, who had cancer, for the final time. It was an excruciating task, but I found the good in Katie's tragic death.

Katie's room is exactly the way she left it on a Friday night in September, 1993, when she was carried to the ambulance on a stretcher. Her James Dean poster hangs on one wall; her elementary school track ribbons and collection of porcelain masks hangs on the others. Her bed is neatly made and lined with stuffed animals -- typical of a girl who would visit her sloppier friends and, without prompting, start vacuuming their rooms.

Katie died just a few weeks into her freshman year at the University of Miami. At eighteen she was 5'5'' tall and had straight shoulder length blond hair, big blue eyes, and pale clear skin. Her senior year in high school, Katie was the varsity cheerleader captain and valedictorian.

More importantly, though, she was my best friend. After all, when she was six years old, she had declared herself old enough to take care of her little sister and brand new baby brother, because she thought our mother was not sharing us enough with her. This caring attitude continued throughout her life. Katie would always braid my hair, go shopping with me, and let me go out with her and her friends when I was lonely and bored. Katie would always tutor Kevin, who has a learning disability, when he needed help with his homework. She would continually drill him on his studies until he got it right. Afterwards, she would take him to go get ice cream as a reward. Clearly, Katie was not just our older sister. She was also our teacher, friend, and second mother.

Katie always surrounded herself with friends. She was constantly opening her ears, heart, and arms to someone in need. The phone was constantly ringing and her room was always crowded with people in it. Now, my house is silent.

I realize that getting caught in a pool of depression only leads to drowning. I live by looking for the positive in the worst situations. I now have a relationship with my parents and brother that means everything to me. I know what is important in life, and it is not always partying and getting A's. But most of all, I know that I can handle anything. Life is not easy, but I overcame one of its toughest obstacles.

I believe, the hardest part of death is the experiences it steals. Katie will not be clapping for me when I finally get my college diploma or giving me advice on my wedding day. My children will only hear stories of the girlhood of their aunt, both stories of reality and an imagined future.

I close my eyes as tight as they can go.

A diploma is placed in my hand. "I do" echoes from a distance. Katie says she loves me and hugs me tight on a September afternoon in 1993. Just before I cross my high school auditorium stage, I look out at the spectators in the bleachers, and I see mother and father and Kevin.

Katie is sitting right beside them, cheering me on.

Old 09-12-2001, 03:59 AM   #4
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Finding Peace in Death

Recently, my fourteen-year-old daughter lost her father in what I consider a senseless motorcycle accident. I was very angry with him for leaving her so young, and for all the shared moments that he cheated her out of by dying this way. My daughter's pain and grief had affected her academic accomplishments and I was struggling with this.

So that night, I had a dream. He appeared to me in a way that was of comfort to me. He wore jeans, a tee-shirt and a ball cap. We talked about our daughter. I asked him if he knew that our daughter was failing her main classes as school. He looked at me and said "Yes, I know, and they will get better." As I sat there looking at him, I struggled with what to say.

He then told me, "I want you to know that I am very proud of our daughter and that I love her very much." With tears in my eyes, I reached for him and hugged him with all my might. At that moment, I told him that I missed him in this lifetime. Finally, I let go of him and he reached for my hand and asked me "Are you ready to find peace now?" I was very overwhelmed at his request and replied "I am too busy, right now". He then asked me again. I then woke up sobbing uncontrollably.

Needless to say, I realized that in the midst of all my anger, I had this dream. The man who left his physical existence is not the spirit I felt in my dream. So I find that I have to somehow find peace in the midst of the "mess" he left behind and work through each and every day in search of peace. I know that this is where I must go and what I must be. Most of my anger is gone now and I continue to search for what is most important -- peace -- not only for myself, but for my daughter. Everything I do I put in God's hands now.

Old 09-12-2001, 04:00 AM   #5
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Just So You Know You Know

[A man facing death leaves this for his wife]

"Your love is priceless, that is the best part of you that nothing could buy, or replace.

"I recall that look in your eye, when I stood there saying, dance now or never, and I knew then you had a love that would last forever... all I had to do was find it, and tell you it would be ok.

"It was, and is... and while I can never put into words what that meant to me, know that it was returned, with a little interest thrown in.

"Maybe we could have done better, in areas of worldly things; but never consider for a moment that I have any regrets, or would do anything different where it comes to you.

"Know too that I will miss you, as you miss me... and be waiting for you to join me; until then, eternal love will never let us part, and when I see you again, try to have the same look in your eyes... but wipe that smirk off, please... I never did believe it, oh silly me."

Old 09-12-2001, 04:03 AM   #6
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

we will laugh people, we will cry, we will enjoy, we will have a good time! isnt it why all of us are here? we moan for the loss but we fight back by enjoying every day of our lives, with YOUR loved ones!
Old 09-12-2001, 04:11 AM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Cure for Sorrow

There is an old Chinese tale about a woman whose only son died. In her grief, she went to the holy man and said, "What prayers, what magical incantations do you have to bring my son back to life?"

Instead of sending her away or reasoning with her, he said to her, "Fetch me a mustard seed from a home that has never known sorrow. We will use it to drive the sorrow out of your life." The woman went off at once in search of that magical mustard seed.

She came first to a splendid mansion, knocked at the door, and said, "I am looking for a home that has never known sorrow. Is this such a place? It is very important to me."

They told her, "You've certainly come to the wrong place," and began to describe all the tragic things that recently had befallen them.

The woman said to herself, "Who is better able to help these poor, unfortunate people that I, who have had misfortune of my my own?" Shestayed to comfort them, then went on in search of a home that had never known sorrow. But wherever she turned, in hovels and in other places, she found one tale after another of sadness and misfortune. She became so involved in ministering to other people's grief that ultimately she forgot about her quest for the magical mustard seed, never realizing that it had, in fact, driven the sorrow out of her life.

Old 09-12-2001, 05:48 AM   #8
Vampire

Errrr... bit ahead in the game there 250.
Old 09-12-2001, 07:05 AM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
Errrr... bit ahead in the game there 250.
exactly

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, LH and HADB

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-12-2001, 07:06 AM   #10
Vampire

I think 250 is more opinionated than Jaheira?
You can't possibly cheer up. It's not even 24 hours after the bombing yet!!!!