Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2002, 06:00 PM   #31
nick1979
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:

So you're saying things should be illegal if they wreck your body??
Ok, that's alcohol gone too, and cigarettes, pretty soon they'd make salt illegal cos too much is bad for you.
*Gets flashback of 'Demolition man'*

Your right an we will have to make BREATHING in major cities illgeal too.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:09 PM   #32
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I dont smoke it but half my friends do, including my roommate. Legalize and be done with I say. If I smoked it and wanted a bag I could have it here in 30 minutes or less-delivered. As for the "harder" drugs, I'm firmly against legalizing any of them.
Old 02-15-2002, 06:19 PM   #33
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:

Weed is hardly as harmless as it seems. It's at least as dangerous as smoking unfiltered cigarettes of tobacco that is grown to have as much tar producing resin as possible. What do you think hash is made of? Couple that with breating it in as deeply as possible and holding it in as long as possible and you've got your answer. Pot also inhibits your mental activity. A very bad thing for the young developing mind. On a positive note, it would be better to classify it like alchohol. Sell it to adults. Less black market, less criminal activity, and less people in jail for pot possession. The drug laws right now are overkill for most. Other drugs, such as heroin, must be kept illegal. They produce a completely euphoric effect that almost always screws up someones life. They can be easily overdosed on and produce dependencies that can kill from withdrawal effects.

Not being funny Sir K, but when I did research on this issue a little while back the amount of evidence saying hash is non harmful completely overwhelmed the stuff saying it was dangerous. Also the only stuff I could find at all saying it was dangerous (I was doing a debating competition on it so I *really* needed to find both sides of the argument) was government sponsored. And that is not saying that all government sponsored reports said it was dangerous, just that all reports that said it was dangerous were government sponsored (argh, not the most precise of sentences...).

Also I don't think anyone was saying that it should be legal for minors as well. As I said earlier, it can be mentally addictive in the same way alcohol can. People need to be able to make an informed choice of what they are getting themselves into. And children can't do that (not saying that you pass a magic line of comprehension when you turn 18, just that the line between adult and child has to be drawn somewhere). So I would legalise it certainly. People can make their own choice as it is their own body to ruin/escape from (delete as best fits your point of veiw [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 02-15-2002, 06:30 PM   #34
norompanlasolas

imo, soft drugs should be legalized. alcohol and tobacco are soft drugs, so i dont see what is the difference with marijuana or hash. they are all addictive, and it may be agreed that in excess they are all bad to your body. like everything in life if its done without control. of them all i think por is definitely not the most unhealthy. tobacco is far worse, as alcohol if done too much.

about pot, the hole thing that it leads to harder drugs (which im not for legalising). but it could be argued that it does that because you get it from the same persons that deal those hard drugs. if you could only get tobacco from dealers, and marijuana in a pharmacy, tobacco would probably deal to hard drugs and pot wouldnt.

well, thats my opinion. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-15-2002, 06:36 PM   #35
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by norompanlasolas:
about pot, the hole thing that it leads to harder drugs (which im not for legalising). but it could be argued that it does that because you get it from the same persons that deal those hard drugs. if you could only get tobacco from dealers, and marijuana in a pharmacy, tobacco would probably deal to hard drugs and pot wouldnt.

Thanks Norom! Thats exactly what I was trying to say on the first page of this thread. It is simply logistics that lead to the harder drugs. It is not like someone trys hash then goes:

"Mmmmm, you know what would be really good now... a nice bit of crack cocaine. I just really have a craving for it!".

It is just that they come into contact, by the illegality of the soft drugs, with people using hard drugs. If you legalise and seperate the distribution of the two then it wouldn't be a problem.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 02-15-2002, 07:12 PM   #36
Blade
Emerald Dragon

personally haven't done any reasherch into it but frineds of mine have. From what i have gathered Marajuana is no chemically addicting like cigarets or as harmful as cigarets and tobaco. They are however very mentally adiction like alcohol. Part of the reason why people want to use it though is that for the simple fact that it is illigal to get a thrill. If it were legalized the goverment could find a way to tax it though [img]tongue.gif[/img] they allways can. If it was legal they would turn to other drugs that are illigal to get the thrill and defeat the purpose of legalizing it. So i would say not to legalize it so kids searching for a thrill would not get addicted to harder and more dangerous drugs.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:33 PM   #37
Lavindathar
Harper

quote:
Originally posted by Sigmar:
From what I've seen and heard the only reason some people smoke hasch is because it's illegal,,so if it was legalised it would probably lose some of it's appeal.

Your wrong there, we smoke it to get high!! Not cos its illegal or nothing!! Its pretty safe, as long as you dnt throw a whitey (spew),,,and it doesn't harm you! The only problem is the smoke...it can be worse than a fag cos it doesn't have a filter!!
Old 02-15-2002, 07:36 PM   #38
Lavindathar
Harper

quote:
Originally posted by Campino:

I'll tell you what i've seen in my neighbourhood.Near my house a lot of teens
get together to drink,tell stories,play loud music and to smoke,and
some of them smoke weed.The next day there are fags(cigarettes) and cigarette papers everywhere.It's a big mess.Sometimes on the staircase leading to my frontdoor as well.

Dude, I ain't mocking , but this can happen with crisp packets and mars bar wrappers....your saying the reason you dnt want weed legalised, is because you dnt want joint papers on your front door (which is fair enuf, as I wouldn't either), but that isn't a bad reason, and why it should not be legalised....if it was needles and syringes (which I am totally against), fair enough, as children can catch anything from those things...
Old 02-15-2002, 07:38 PM   #39
Lavindathar
Harper

quote:
Originally posted by Campino:

Remember,i am speaking about things that actually happened in my life.
I've also lost a good friend of mine,who started with softdrugs, things went from bad to worse and i don't ever want that to happen again.So if someone wants to smoke hasj
be my guest,but you'll not be a friend of mine.

You might think i'm very harsh here,but now you know why.
Just too many bad experiences.

This, in my opinion, is a much more valid point. True, if people do start smoking weed, it brings them into contact with people who can get them into harder drugs. I suppose buying your weed off of someone, can lead to you being taken into a drug culture, and then onto harder drugs. I hate hard drugs, and I don't think anyone should take them....but I wouldn't say that they are not my friend because they do, after all, it's their life, they pay the consequences, and they only live once...
Old 02-15-2002, 07:41 PM   #40
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Im not going to get into anykind of lengthy debate, just wish to say that as adults we should be able to do what we wish with our own bodies but to also take the consequences.