Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum > Wizards & Warriors Archives

Old 11-22-2000, 12:15 AM   #1
Amset

I have just recently started using these spells. I don't think it matters whom you click on while casting Create Portal. The only time these spells fail on me is when I'm in a dungeon. My guess is you have to be outside to use these spells. I don't know if Sorcery skill has an effect on how often the teleport spells fail (flashback to headaches from Asheron's Call portal spells) but my Sorcery skill is around 6-7. Hope that helps.

JMB

Old 11-22-2000, 11:41 AM   #2
Vorrin

What is the proper way to cast Teleport and portal ? Do I cast Create portal on the same person that I can teleport ? I got sort of screwed. I cast Portal on one of my characters and called home with another. Did my town stuff and left town. I cast teleport to go back to where I cast Portal (yes it was outdoors ) and I failed failed and failed. I know I messed up the casting somehow.

Old 11-22-2000, 01:41 PM   #3
Amset

Something I left out... According to the book, only one portal may exist in a 'scene'. I am guessing a scene is the part of the wilderness directly accessible to your characters at a given time. The area between Valeia and Ishad N'Ha would be one scene while the area between Ishad N'Ha and Brimloch Roon would be another. The book states that ANY Create Portal spell will override any previous Create Portal spells that were cast and that the created portal becomes the destination of ANY Teleport spell. That implies to me that one person could cast Create Portal and another could cast Teleport and you should still end up where the first character created a portal. I have yet to test this out since I don't have more than one character with portal spells. I also assume Teleport and Create Portal operate independently from Call of Home so any Create Portal or Teleport spells should not be affected by who/when/where Call of Home was cast.

Sorry for mentioning the 'have to be outside' part in my earlier post. I have trouble reading at 100% comprehension sometimes.

JMB

Old 11-22-2000, 02:21 PM   #4
Winner

I have always cast portal and teleport on the one person that has this spell, and it works all the time. You can cast two portal spells and have them both working at the same time. One can be cast outside, and a second one inside a dungeon. The teleport if used on the outside will send you to the outside portal. Once inside the dungeon cast teleport and you will go where you cast the dungeon portal. Very useful in both situations. Its also great to have the CALL OF HOME spell which will send you to the last town you have visited.

Old 11-22-2000, 03:48 PM   #5
Amset

Winner: That would explain why I couldn't cast Teleport in a dungeon. I never created a portal inside the dungeon I was in. Do you know if you can create a portal in each separate dungeon or do you have to pick the dungeon you want a portal in? I'm thinking each dungeon is classified as a 'scene' after reading your post so you might be able to have a portal created inside multiple dungeons at the same time. I'll have to test this out later today, time permitting. Either way, that will sure make things easier. If you create a portal right outside the dungeon you are exploring and one inside where you last explored, a lot of time can be saved when that is combined with Call of Home. I won't be eroding the same path in a dungeon any more with my thousands and thousands of footsteps...

JMB

Old 11-22-2000, 06:01 PM   #6
Winner

I only discovered the second portal use in the Dungeon Dragonspire, and have not entered the next dungeon yet, but I would suspect that the next dungeon portal in a seperate dungeon will negate the first one as it does above ground, but come to think of it I have not gone back to a previous map area to see if an old portal is still there...try everything even if the hint books and manual imply you can't. That's the way I found out about the second portal.