Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Mods feel free to incinerate this thing with unholy fire if it's not the sort of thing you want in this forum.

At any rate. The idea here would be to not actually run the RPG on this forum, or any forum at all, but to make an attempt at replicating a real-time session for some semblance of action and to have a less slow game. The forums may be involved in some way, perhaps to post session recaps so everyone knows where people are, what's going on, game-related conversation outside of the sessions, etc., but only if the mods would not be opposed to this.

This RPG would be run on MSN Messenger, and it already has a few people recruited. The exact details of the gaming itself, like when the sessions will happen, etc. have yet to be nailed down since it's pointless without everyone agreeing on a time.

The game would be a modern game, meaning that it would happen in the year 2007, on Earth. Partially realistic, partially surreal, with a non-heroic system(You cannot dual-wield chainguns, survive 50-story drops or kill a tank with a katana. Your character will not be an elf, a wizard or a lost citizen of Atlantis.). The setting will be in Europe, starting out in the UK.

For the sake of suspense, the story will have to be vague until it starts, but this is what I can tell you:

The basic "theme," if you can call it such, is that of relatively ordinary people being involved against their volition in a mystery that is, at least initially, beyond their comprehension. Mysterious happenings and unpleasant people out for their skulls. Then it turns to the players to make the choice of where it goes from there.

Do they seek out the roots of the mystery, to unveil it and make sure that no one is ever affected by it again? Do they seek to turn it to their own advantages, to join the conspiracy? Do they merely seek to not get their heads blown off by angry men with firearms? Or does it become a quest for revenge?

If by some bizarre twist of madness you're interested, send me a PM, post in this thread or mail me. Alternately, if you've got MSN already(Likely you do if you're interested.), you can always add me: purplexvi@gmail.com (By wacky coincidence this is also where you can mail me.)

[ 01-02-2007, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: PurpleXVI ]
PurpleXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #2
SomeGuy
Unicorn

I'm already in, folks. I suggest you all do the same. I know the guy and he's a good DM, he's already put my character to a horrible death before, but it was okay, there was a lot of fun had before that. It's fun to do a game this way, through messenger, so give it a shot.
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
The idea here would be to not actually run the RPG on this forum, or any forum at all, but to make an attempt at replicating a real-time session for some semblance of action and to have a less slow game. The forums may be involved in some way, perhaps to post session recaps so everyone knows where people are, what's going on, game-related conversation outside of the sessions, etc., but only if the mods would not be opposed to this.
I am okay with the concept of using this forum to post out-of-character conversation relating to the game that you will play off-forum. I offer this permission with hopes that it will bring traffic to this forum, and help get other games running here. Just follow the regular guidelines of operating an OOC thread here, and everything should be okay.
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Thank you very much, Larry.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I would be interested but I am unsure as to how much I could participate, I am currently running a pen and paper game, that combined with a hectic lifestyle would make me sporratic at best.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Well, we're not requiring a session every evening, and we're going to have some level of flexibility, it won't have to be the exact same time and day every week. At the moment we're thinking a few hours one day each week, maybe we'll skip a week here and there if everyone's really busy, maybe we'll have an extra session some weeks if everyone's up for it. Does that sound like something you would have the time for?

And God, I can't believe I've been forgetting to post this the entire time, but this game will be employing the Unisystem. Relatively realistic and skill-based rather than level or class-based. If anyone who doesn't already know the system(A bit unlikely, it's a bit of a cult hit, really doesn't have the following it deserves.), I'll explain it to them and send them a document containing rules, character creation and etc., it's really a very simple thing, most people figure it out in five minutes or so.

[ 01-05-2007, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: PurpleXVI ]
Old 01-06-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
Man Who Fights Like Woman
Manshoon

I am back and so in for this game. Playing with Purple as the GM is one of the things that made me stick with role playing, if that's any kind of endorsement. So what are you people waiting for? Sign up!
Man Who Fights Like Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #8
PurpleXVI
Emerald Dragon

Well, since we're allowed to post summaries here, I may as well do it.

Chapter 0: Prologue

Man(Arkady) and SomeGuy(Jett Rainy) have both awoken after having odd dreams to find themselves in an unfamiliar location. They have no memories of how they ended up there, and the dreams were chaotic, disturbing affairs that yielded no clues.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:21 PM   #9
DrowArchmage
Mephistopheles

sounds pretty cool, i liked the no killing tanks with katanas thing.lol. I had someone try to do something that amounts to the same thing in a D&D game once. althought i was knew to it, the idea of trying to kill a Dragon with a knife and a few arrows seemed pretty stupid.
Same concept, different situation.

-al'Lan Mandragoran, Last Lord of the Seven Towers
DrowArchmage is offline   Reply With Quote