Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2004, 11:28 AM   #11
NobleNick
Quintesson

Kaelas,

I don't own a Straight class Druid (am partial to F/D); but, IIRC, Druids, like Clerics and warriors, can be armor plated and shielded to the max: Forget the leather, and go with plate mail +2 and large shield +3.

EDIT: If I am wrong about this, make a F[3]/D and he will be able to do the armor thing.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 11-19-2004, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #12
Otto
The Magister

Here's a link to all the IWD tables:

http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/iwd...lasses/tables/
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:31 PM   #13
Aerich
Lord Ao

Sorry, Nick, you got it wrong. Must be all the F/Ds on your mind.

A straight Druid can only wear natural armours, which means up to studded leather. I don't think there's any normal hide armour to find/buy; although there is some good armour druids can wear that you can have made in Lower Dorn's Deep - LDD is a long, long ways away, though. But don't despair, a straight-class druid can wear bracers and protection rings/cloaks/amulets (although only one at a time). You'll tend to spend most of your time spelling or shapechanging anyway - and if your druid enters the fray, it should not be as the first to engage the enemy. That way, you won't get targeted unless the enemy switched targets off of your tank.

A F/D can wear any armour in the game (subject to alignment restrictions on certain armours). You could take a level or three of fighter and then dual over to druid if you want the spells but don't need the F[9-13]/D. A druid on its own is a potent spellcasting force.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:29 PM   #14
Soothsayer
Dungeon Master

Thats tables link had been useful, cheers Otto

BTW: Am I the only one with an image sig in this forum.....the FAQ says images are allowed so, why no others?
Old 11-22-2004, 04:20 PM   #15
NobleNick
Quintesson

Aerich,

Yep. Fighter/Druid on the brain. Since I never actually owned a Druid, except for experimentation in leveling, I should have just kept my mouth shut.

Well, then, I would expound on my earlier advice (which I see you second) --> go with a Fighter[X]/Druid. Any X greater than 1 gets your character the ability to wear any armor when they hit Druid[X+1]. An X of 3, 6, 9, or 12 adds a total of 1, 2, 3, or 4 PP, respectively (STACKABLE[!!] up to 5 in melee and 3 in ranged weapon); and at each of F[7] and F[13] you get another 0.5 bonus ApR. There are other benefits (especially THAC0 and HP) over a SC Druid.

Even for someone who really only wants an SC Druid, an F[3]/Druid is an extremely cheap method of giving the character some extra punch.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:15 PM   #16
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Soothsayer:
BTW: Am I the only one with an image sig in this forum.....the FAQ says images are allowed so, why no others?
Soothsayer,

Used to be that a very good portion on this forum did. Many of those are still around but spend virtually of their time on other IronWorks boards (e.g., Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and IWD2).

I never did it for two reasons: 1.) Never saw a sig that inspired me enough to overcome inertia and obtain my own; and 2.) Even modest sig pictures make it a bit more cumbersome to scroll through the posts. Again, I would add to the "problem" (if one could even call it that), if I found or dreamed up a sig that inspired me enough.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:20 PM   #17
Aerich
Lord Ao

I've just never bothered with an image sig. For a while, I was changing my text sig every time my avatar changed. Partly, like NobleNick's #1, I haven't found something I like enough to put in my sig.

I do really like yours, though, Soothsayer.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:07 PM   #18
Kaelas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So... I've been busy playing in the last couple days and thought I'd pop in and tell you guys of my experiences.

After restarting the game two times I finally settled on the following party:

Human Fighter[13]/Druid
Dwarven Fighter
Human Fighter[9]/Cleric
Gnomish Fighter/Thief
Half-Elven Bard
Elf Mage

I was kind of uncomfortable with the Paladin for some reason so I opted for a MC Fighter/Thief and made him a Gnome to be able to wear that helmet the smith in Kuldahar sells.
Furthermore I like to scout out an area before entering it with my party so the thief had to be able to hold his own for a while if discovered.

I've been playing on the 'hard' difficulty setting right from the start and had about 196k exp. per party member after I was through with Dragon's Eye.
The game is actually not so difficult up until now, though I find myself sleeping quite a lot to compensate for the lack of a cleric. That will hopefully change soon...

The only places where I had some really tough fights were in Kresselack's tomb level 3 and Dragon's Eye level 3. Those undead hordes can really ruin your day if you're not careful. Luckily I remembered what I always did in BG2 when faced with overwhelming odds: use the 'Web' spell in a bottleneck area and blast away with as much area effect spells as possible. Great fun!

Anyway, I'm off to the Severed Hand!

BTW the Bardic Horn of Valhalla is worth every coin I spent for it. It's great to have meatshields that can dish it out as well as take it for once.
Kaelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 02:23 PM   #19
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaelas:
Human Fighter[13]/Druid
Dwarven Fighter
Human Fighter[9]/Cleric
Gnomish Fighter/Thief
Half-Elven Bard
Elf Mage

BTW the Bardic Horn of Valhalla is worth every coin I spent for it. It's great to have meatshields that can dish it out as well as take it for once.
Kaelas,

Woo, Hoo! I see you elected to go "all the way" on the DC F/D. I think you'll be very pleased with the character; indeed, with all your DC and MC choices. And lots of warriors for your Bard to serenade: Excellent party!

Yeah, the Bardic Horn is a riot, eh?

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
Old 12-01-2004, 12:12 PM   #20
Kaelas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Heh, my bard reached lvl 11 some time ago and I can't help but wonder for what I actually needed a cleric.

Seriously though... a bard as primary party "healer"... kind of weird.

I think I need to find some undead to turn soon or my cleric will start doubting her own usefulness.
Kaelas is offline   Reply With Quote