Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 10-08-2001, 03:49 AM   #1
Link
Jack Burton

WOW! That Melissan is one bad chica! She's a tough one too.. I managed to beat her the first two times (i.e. I closed one out of three mana holes) but the when I close the second mana hole, she summons four slayer shades, and then dimension doors outta there. What to do? If I let here go, and stomp those shades into oblivion, she has summoned even more critters to stop me.. AAAAH!!!

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 08:53 AM   #2
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well, first TRUE SIGHT, then kick her ass

------------------

Chaotic Cavalier of ALSB, protector of the Innocent, slayer of the mad...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 09:27 AM   #3
tusitha

OR

If you have a high-level thief (Jan comes to mind) you could lay some spike traps near the place she spawns. 3 is just enough for her to get hit real bad, plus she won't heal herself which she will do if you go for all-out brute force. This tactic does sound cheesy, but it works I've yet to defeat her without Jan's spike traps though.

-edit-

Just a thought. Try using Protection 15' Radius on your party and summon Fire Elementals, Solars/Planetars and the works to keep the Slayer shadows busy. Place them at close proximity to where the shadows will be spawned and they will immediately go for the summoned creatures. You will have to work quickly though, since they won't last long under the barrage of slayer shadow level drains. Improve Haste your party and hightail to the area where Amelyssan will shadow-door to and beat the crap out of her (use Greater Whirlwind, lower resistance, pierce magic etc.) You must be quick in this execution or she will attempt to fully heal herself at which stage you might consider reloading.

Also, if you happen to have a Wish scroll or spell, cast it and wish for a rest so that you can rememorise your spells. It can make a real difference.

Hope this helps. Overall a very frustrating battle, but then it IS the final one.....

[This message has been edited by tusitha (edited 10-08-2001).]
Old 10-08-2001, 12:17 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
WOW! That Melissan is one bad chica! She's a tough one too.. I managed to beat her the first two times (i.e. I closed one out of three mana holes) but the when I close the second mana hole, she summons four slayer shades, and then dimension doors outta there. What to do? If I let here go, and stomp those shades into oblivion, she has summoned even more critters to stop me.. AAAAH!!!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
Ignore the riffraff she summons. Your party should be focusing on Melissan. Summon lots of fodder like skeletons and elementals before the battle to act as lineblockers. Keep them away from Melissan or she'll cast Death and waste them all. She dimension doors to the top of the battle area, and the shades get summoned below. Place your critters such that they are between you and the slayer shades, they'll get hammered but they only need to keep them from getting to you. If you can, summon a planetar to help with Melissan.

------------------
Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 09:10 PM   #5
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Some tips, based on my game:

Lots of high-level summons - planetars, devas, greater elementals, etc.

You will also need to get rid of Melissan's combat protections - spell strike, breach, pierce magic, KWW, RRR, etc. You know the drill.

Concentrate on taking her out. When she retreats to the centre to recharge, all of her summons will disappear.

I hope you brought along some scrolls of wish, together with a couple of potions of insight to raise the caster's wisdom. You could cast it and hope to get the one where it's as if the party had rested and re-memorised spells.
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 10:49 PM   #6
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Don't depend on that mockery of a spell, Wish. Even though I had 25 WIS, thanks to one of the selection, my Sorcerer could not get the choice to rest and regain back spells... ...

Each time I casted 6 times, and I reloaded 4 times... ...

Finally I gave up and Spike Trapped her a** to kingdom come... ...
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 10:53 PM   #7
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

are they magic resistent?

if not, use a X6 sunfire... finish the game in one round
250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 11:57 PM   #8
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I also used 3 x chain lightning (a spell trigger) on Melissan that put some major hurt on her. Also, ADHW works well. But make sure you cast lower resistance on her first before you follow-up with any magic attacks.

BTW, the Ravager +6 rocks! I had Sarevok with 5 stars in halberds wield it and those vorpal hits were life-savers! He killed one of the monsters (a tough one by all accounts - shan't spoil it for you) outright with the Ravager's special ability and saved my party from a nasty fight. He scored sveral on Melissan too, but despite the graphic of a successful hit she was not killed outright.

[This message has been edited by Hayashi (edited 10-09-2001).]
Hayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 01:19 PM   #9
Link
Jack Burton

Thanks guys! I finished the game now, didn't turn into a god, cos Aerie didn't want me to.. That little girl just broke my heart back there..

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Guns don't kill people, people kill other people.

So, therefore:
Nobody moves! Give me your wallet, I have a person right here!

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2001, 02:13 PM   #10
Cleric 2
Manshoon

Yes, I realy don't want to know what she says if you turn in a god

------------------
Im Nik, the servant of my queen, Ellesime,