Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 12-01-2004, 01:32 PM   #21
Aerich
Lord Ao

Just use all the slots you would have used for healing for defensive/offensive spells instead. Memorize Magical Stone for all (or most) of your 1st level slots and pick up a few Recitations for fourth level.

Your cleric can actually turn into a pretty good tank with Draw Upon Holy Might, Entropy Shield (or Shield of Lathander), and the whole host of buffing spells. It's fun.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:41 AM   #22
Kaelas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh yes, buffs!

My F/D finally got entropy shield and that combined with protection from evil, prayer, recitation and defensive harmony makes him a mean and efficient kind of organic meat-grinder. Add haste and a healthy dose of the emotion:... line spells and he is nigh to unstoppable.

I must confess, though, that until now I used buff spells rather sparingly. I guess I was (as always) just saving them for THAT one big boss-fight where I would need them. The same goes for all those potions I've hoarded and never really used...
Kaelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:05 AM   #23
NobleNick
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaelas:
I must confess, though, that until now I used buff spells rather sparingly. I guess I was (as always) just saving them for THAT one big boss-fight where I would need them. The same goes for all those potions I've hoarded and never really used...
Kaelas,

If you have a F/C, he can tank pretty well. The Bard will only have the Cleric thinking thoughts of uselessness until you hit HoW, and buffs are the rule instead of the exception. The nice thing is that the Bard's healing song allows the Cleric to use more slots for buffs. I have two strong DC Clerics and a Bard in my current party, and am very glad for the extra Cleric.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:23 PM   #24
Aerich
Lord Ao

I hoard potions too. But I use plenty of buffs. My extra-special favourites are Protection from Fire (on the tank or tanks, so you can toss fire spells into the front ranks without toasting your own guys) and Protection from Evil 10' Radius (+2 to AC, +2 to saves, and immunity to charm-type spells for EVERYBODY). The great thing about them is that they last for a long time. A couple PfE should last you until next nappy time.

There's plenty of big fights and not THAT many "boss" fights. Recitation + Prayer + Malison + Web/Entangle means a bunch of enemies stuck in one place for area-effect spells or ranged weapons. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2004, 04:26 PM   #25
Kaelas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Aye, Protection from Evil is great, better than in BG2 actually where it gave +2 to AC and saves only vs. evil creatures and no protection against the 'charm' line of spells. Heh, I had to sit back and re-read all the spell descriptions to evaluate their usefulness once more. That's what you get for thinking they didn't change the spell properties.

Mh, while I'm at it. Do enemy creatures get a saving throw bonus in HoF mode?

Earthquake for one is pretty much useless in HoF I wager, what's with the other spells?
Old 12-06-2004, 12:44 AM   #26
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Soothsayer:
Thats tables link had been useful, cheers Otto

BTW: Am I the only one with an image sig in this forum.....the FAQ says images are allowed so, why no others?
G'day Soothsayer. Your sig's too big mate - the R&R (click on the button on the top) will give you guidance on how big an image sig can be. Yours is too big mate. I believe Dundee already sent you a PM about this. Please shrink it to the right size. We will be happy to host the pic for you here on our site as long as you shrink it. Cheers. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:57 AM   #27
Aerich
Lord Ao

@ Kaelas:

I'm not 100% sure whether creatures get a saving throw bonus in HoF, but I'm pretty sure. A 100 HP monster (even if is just a goblin) with utterly lousy saves seems pretty unlikely.

What I do know about HoF for sure is that summoning spells and charm-type spells are king; as are spells that lower saves or immobilize creatures. Spells that prevent casters from casting (Melf's Acid Arrow, Silence, Insect Plague) similarly become very valuable. For melee, spells that protect the caster against all physical damage (Mirror Image, Stoneskin, Lathander's Shield) are great as well.

Brute force just doesn't cut it, and spells such as Fireball are nearly useless unless you can cast about 10 in a row.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:59 AM   #28
Kaelas
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Mh, summoning spells... I take it that the creatures you summon also get way tougher in HoF just as their enemy counterparts!?

Nifty.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:39 AM   #29
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaelas:
Mh, summoning spells... I take it that the creatures you summon also get way tougher in HoF just as their enemy counterparts!?

Nifty.
Assuming you also have TotL installed, the answer is yes, summons do also get tougher in HoF mode. However, their combat bonuses are lower than that of their equivalent enemy counterpart.

So an enemy Skeleton Archer will have more HP than your summoned Skeleton Archer.

The combat bonuses to your summons is still VERY substantial though, and you will come to appreciate them in HoF. In fact, in the early stages of the game, do not be surprised if your summons kill more enemies than your actual party members.

In the later stages of the game though, summons will mostly be relegated to the "HIT ME INSTEAD OF HIM!" roles, as their attacks are all unenchanted... They still serve a vital role as distractions, and help split up the enemies' attacks so that it is not focused on one target.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 09:48 AM   #30
Otto
The Magister

For HOF, spells (especially summon spells) become very important. If you start with low-level characters, it's almost impossible to go toe-to-toe with the buffed up enemies.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote