Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 07-21-2001, 09:52 AM   #1
Jim
Quintesson

Hello all,

I'm having problems initialising the Jaheria romance. I've played this game through many times now and had NPC romances with Viconia and Aerie, but I had never managed it before with Jaheria. This time I was very careful with all my responses to her conversations and never gave her a nagative answer. My character is human with good alignment. I've ensured the parties reputation has never risen above 18. I have saved her from ployers curse, never removed her from my party and bought her the necklace from the merchant in the docks district. I've recently finished the underdark, and after talking with Drittz I bumped into Reviane who threatened to execute Jaheria. Is it best at this point to tell Jaheria you'll stand by her and attack Reviane, or is it best to tell her to put down her weapons and avoid the battle? I told her to lay down her weapons and Reviane has gone off to find out more about Jaherias assault on the harpers. The game now seems to be stuck. I seem to remember meeting Dermin at the teeth pass in a previous game where Jaheria left to turn herself in. Now, even if I rest for like 30 days he never shows up. When I go to the Graveyard district when Bohdi abducts your love interest, she never takes Jaheria, so obviously the romance hasn't initiated yet. Is this too late in the game for the romance to start, and could it start after I've killed Bohdi? (I know that Bohdi's heart and the lovers body needs to be taken to the temple ruins to resurrect them, but is this a crucial part of a romance i.e can I start the romance after killing Bohdi?) Is there something I've missed that is crucial to the romance, and why isn't the harpers quest continuing? Thanks for your help and advice.
Old 07-21-2001, 12:54 PM   #2
trux

Well, there's lots of issues with Jaheira's romance. Firstly, have you done the bandit stuff? If you don't know what I mean go sleep outside somewhere and you'll see.

The romances are triggered by real-time (except a few dialogs for each of the ladies that's triggered by stopping to rest) not game-time. This means that it usually takes around 30 minutes real time of playing for one of the ladies to pipe up. However, Jaheira's dialogs are far slower, happening usually about every hour real time. You can get a patch from Baldurdash that fixes the Jaheira romance problems (it's called the Improved Jaheira Romance Patch.)

It sounds like you proceeded through the game too quickly to let her romance begin. Technically, the romance is happening, but she's not quite "your" woman until you make it through the WHOLE harper charade, which is long. If you've just recently been approached by Reviane for the first time then you still have a significant amount of harper bullsh*t to deal with.

The whole Bodhi thing is not absolutely crucial to the romance story. Basically you just see one extra set of dialog from your lover that he/she says after ressurecting them. I suppose you could start a romance after Bodhi, but I wouldn't much see the point 'cause by this point the game is nearing its end.

Hope this all makes sense, the only real advice for anyone having Jaheira problems is to download the patch from Baldurdash.

------------------
--
trux
Old 07-21-2001, 02:58 PM   #3
Northraven
Manshoon

One question on the Jahiera Romance...did I have to do the Renfield/Xzar quest to trigger some of the romance events? I have done everything else including the bandits, the locket, etc., etc., etc...

------------------
"I am death come for thee. Surrender and thy passage shall be...swifter"

"Kneel before the cow god!"
Old 07-21-2001, 03:02 PM   #4
trux

You should definetely do the whole Renfield/Xzar/Montaron thing.

------------------
--
trux
Old 07-21-2001, 03:20 PM   #5
Jim
Quintesson

Thanks trux, some decent indepth info there. I did do the bandit thing at the temple ruins (forgot to mention it). I think you're right about the real-time, because I stormed through the game in a couple of days using the ctrl-j function to teleport them because it's annoying having to wait for them. I have now found Dermin and found some more dialog from Jaheria by cranking the game speed to 60 fps and sitting in the corner and waiting (doh!). Am i right in thinking that you will be approached again after Dermin by another harper and Jaheria will leave you for a time? Any ideas how long this will take?

Thanks guys
Old 07-21-2001, 03:28 PM   #6
trux

SPOILER...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
you're right - you will be approached again, and jaheira will leave again.

------------------

this graphic cost me $4.20
trux
Old 07-21-2001, 07:55 PM   #7
Northraven
Manshoon

Okay Trux...here's my question for you: I didn't help Renfield because of my evil alingment...have I just screwed-up my whole shot at a romance with Jahiera?

------------------
"I am death come for thee. Surrender and thy passage shall be...swifter"

"Kneel before the cow god!"
Old 07-21-2001, 09:49 PM   #8
Gazza
Banned User

I've done the Xzar/Montaron quest, saved the poisened guy and done Jaheira's curse quest but no-one from the harpers has come to take her away yet. Its happened before but not this time. What am I doing wrong. Do I have to buy the locket from the fat guy because I haven't done that yet.

------------------

Know thy enemy and know thyself and you will never be defeated in a hundred battles.