Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hope someone can help. I am in the crypt in ToTL and for some reason the game keeps crashing and taking me back to the desktop. No messages appear as to the reason. Has anybody come across this before or could it be a problem with my pc. Any help much appreciated.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

I had a quick search through the forums, and found one instance where someone was having a graphics problem in the Watchknights' Crypt. The thread is here.

The issue appeared to be related to the Crypt Things' teleportation "attack". The advice given was to fiddle with the graphics first (framerate, turning off animations, etc), and if the area remained problematic, to reinstall TotL. Unfortunately, we do not know for sure if the suggested solutions worked, but I surmise they did, because the original poster did not come back to say that the problems reoccurred.

I would second that advice. If you have played the rest of the game with no graphics issues, you probably have a suitable version of DirectX and appropriate graphics settings. If your computer is not showing any signs of breaking down other than your IWD crashes, I would bet that you have a corrupted file. Solution? Backup your saved games and reinstall TotL. Copy your saved games back into the saved games folder, and away you go. When returning to your saved game(s), remember to either use a saved game from before the Crypt, or to leave the Crypt and return to it (as otherwise the saved game will also save the problems on the original map, and may crash again if you don't provide the game with the opportunity to "refresh" from your reinstall).

Does there seem to be a particular trigger for the crashes, such as entering a specific area or being teleported by a Crypt Thing?

[ 02-02-2007, 03:47 AM: Message edited by: Aerich ]
Old 02-02-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks so much for taking the time to try and help me.
I don't think there is a trigger as it crashes quite randomly, though i am about 80% into the Watchknights' Crypt so poss the whole of the area I am exploring is corrupted - difficult to say.
I have got saved files from before entering the crypt so if I understand you correctly I should uninstall ToTL then download it again and then go back into ID and load up a saved game from before I enter the crypt. This may sound a bit foolish but what do you mean by backing up my saved games, do I save them onto another piece of software. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:24 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

Just copy the contents of the "mpsave" folder into a folder on your desktop, then when you have reinstalled, copy them back into the same folder.

I'd also delete the contents of the cache folder.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

So far so good,I have done what you have said and the game is working fine in those problem map areas. I will post again to confirm end result so anybody else who has similar problems will know what to do.
Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Great! Glad to know it's worked so far. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
falcon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Successfully completed the crypt with no more problems and now progressed onto the next level. Thanks.