Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

G'day everyone. Haven't posted in a while, for a good reason - I've been pretty busy applying to MBA programs. Since I only made a decision to apply around late Jan, I had to hustle big-time to get all my applications into 4th round US and UK programs. Basically I had to:

1. study for the GMAT (a nightmare if you last went to high school 13 years ago having to remember what a bloody scalene triangle is, trinomial etc)
  2. take the GMAT (which I did mid-March)
  3. research all the b-schools I was interested in (talk to alums, do internet research etc - couldn't visit any schools as I was too far away)
  4. fill out 200+ pages of applications
  5. write 40+ essays
  6. all by April/May deadlines
Anyway, got through it all :shock: and am glad to announce that I've got some acceptances YAY!! Haven't heard back from everyone yet, but so far I've gotten OKs from Indiana Kelley School of Business at Bloomington and Boston University School of Management in Boston. Waiting on a few more, but BU have given me a lot of $$$ to attend their program and I'm strongly leaning that way for that reason. Indiana's a great program but I don't know if I could go from Sydney to Bloomington. Another program I'm considering is Babson, also in Boston (my first choice as I want to get into entrepreneurship and venture capital work on graduation). I have a US passport so can work in the US.

So I guess I'll soon be moving from Sydney to Boston! Can anyone give me any insiders' insights about Boston, mainly on the following:

• the people
  • the weather
  • the city itself - cool places to live, transportation, cost of living, etc.
  • cool beaches to go to, including surfing ones (I assume there must be some)
  • any idiosyncracies I should know about (do they still have that wierd rule where pubs close on Tuesdays??)
  • In general, what's cool about Boston! I'm assuming Boston will be as cool and cosmo as Sydney is.
  • May be a silly question, but I'm thinking of bringing my cat to the US with me (Maryrose is going to London at the same time and we're still deciding who gets Mikka). What's the rule on pets in apartments in Boston? Anyone know?
Since school year starts in September I'm looking at making the move sometime in early August. Is this too late for housing purposes? What about transport - do I need to buy a car or will it be a pain in the arse like NYC?

I'm quite excited about this. I'll be able to a ) finally visit Z; and b ) organise a New England Ironworkers Catchup for all you lazy NE buggers out there. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Look forward to some feedback. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-23-2005, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
a_decent_1
Banned User

Ummm,

Memnoch (really not used to calling u this)

"CONGRATULATION". And Good Luck mate .. hope u do well.
a_decent_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #3
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

Congratulations!

But otherwise... Not a clue!
Old 05-23-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
Mr. Mopery
Zhentarim Guard

If it's a choice between Boston and Bloomington, it's no choice at all. Really.

I have a friend in med school out there--originally from Chicago--and she has written long emails on why living in Bloomington is making Seppuku seem like an attractive prospect.

Boston, on the other hand, is a lovely city with character. It's close to other cities with character.

The only advantage that Bloomington has is its relatively low costs, compared to Boston.

Not sure about bringing pets into the US, but I think they have to have some kind microchip implanted.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Arvon
Unicorn

On pets, check with the local US counsel. I think there may be some sort of quarantine and you have to have all the shots up to date. But get the official word before packing up the pet(s).

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:58 PM   #6
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, don't expect to find a half decent basketballteam overthere.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

As I said before, great news, Memsie!

About the apartment and pet rules- you may have to check with individual landlords as in most cities out this way it's up to them if they allow a pet or not. You have more luck with a small indoor only pet but you may need to pay a special additional fee or deposit or both. Also, I would check with the US customs people about bringing her in, there may be quarrantine laws that make her have to stay at the port of entry for a certain amount of time or you may need a file drawer full of certificates and proofs of immunizations/spaying etc.

Boston's a big enough city, dear! Some parts are wild, some are dignified and stodgy and a lot is in between. Have to admit I've not been in ages so I don't have much specific info for you but I'm betting someone here will. Isn't Chewbacca in the Boston area?

I've got a few friends who were in Boston not long ago but moved...I'll see what I can find out.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
a_decent_1
Banned User

Money is not a problem for memnoch i guess.

Boston is the Best option Man,.
a_decent_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:33 PM   #9
Lady Sedai
Banned User

I'm checking a couple things out for you in reference to bringing Mikka over...at least as far as any quarantine restrictions, etc., but Amber has the right of it when you get down to a specific apartment...you'll have to check with the individual landlord.

Can you ask the college for information? Surely they've had others come from overseas and they might have some sources of information pertaining to available local residences (including whether or not they accept pets) and even, possibly, information about US regulations on bringing your pet from Australia.
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Okay...here's a few sites I found that may help:

pettravel

bringing your pet overseas

Also, the embassy phone message suggests you visit www.austemb.org and, if you have further questions, you can call 888-990-8888 (toll free, but if it would still cost you and you don't want that phone bill, let me know what questions you want asked and I'll make the call for you [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

Good luck, dear and Congrats!
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote