Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 06-30-2005, 07:46 AM   #11
Charlie
Lord Ao

Wonder if the soundtrack is any good, if it uses any of the original music? I want to re-buy the original War of the Worlds album....it's out of this world!

Forever Autumn by Justin Hayward is a fantastic track.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 11:04 AM   #12
Sythe
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
The ending was waay to sudden IMO, and was just stupid.
Is the ending somewhat like the original movie? * cough *

Might be spoiler

certain something in the atmospehere that help humanity?
</font>[/QUOTE]SPOILIA!!!
I doubt it was the atmosphere it was in the blood. They consumed it as drink (as it was shown when one of those tripods stuck that needle thing through that guy and drew the lifeblood from him. And those aliens tripods are filled with it.) Simply what killed them were germs. I came to this conclusion when the narrator speaks about the end about "immunties blah blah blah"
Old 06-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #13
Sythe
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by krunchyfrogg:
I heard this movie really, really sucks.
Go see it for yourself. IMHO it is a fantastic movie.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #14
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sir Goulum:
The ending was waay to sudden IMO, and was just stupid.
Is the ending somewhat like the original movie? * cough *

Might be spoiler

certain something in the atmospehere that help humanity?
</font>[/QUOTE]Well, whatever, I still think the ending was way to sudden. Other than that, it was a really good movie. They could have kept the same bacteria-kills-them ending, and not had it just bang! in the middle of action. It would have made it better, IMO.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #15
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Wonder if the soundtrack is any good, if it uses any of the original music? I want to re-buy the original War of the Worlds album....it's out of this world!

Forever Autumn by Justin Hayward is a fantastic track.
Yeah, I have been looking for the CD-Version of War of the Worlds for ages, but can't seem to find it anywhere locally yet
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:48 PM   #16
Lavindathar
Harper

<font color="cyan">Me and my girlfriend went to see it tonight.

Well, I thought it was excellent.

The whole film was good, and right at the end, when I thought it was over, I said to myself, that ending is so shite.

Then came the twist, and I really enjoyed it. Go see it!

To answer some questions:

CRITICAL SPOILERS BELOW:

The aliens planet is very similar to ours, and before humanity exists they source it out, bury the tripods for when they need to move planets.

The time comes at the start of the film. They start destroying it.

Think of the Tripods as the scouts and villagers.

They are not there to destroy human life, they are there to prepare the planet for the relocation. The tripods capture the humans, and disperse the blood around the planet in the veins, for nutrients/harvest or whatever. They do kill some people, but nvm.

At the end, the planet is ready to take over.It is fully covered in veins, and would be able to support the alien life.

But what an ending!

I loved it:

It took billions of deaths for man to develop his immunity to the bacteria. It was mans biggest ally. The aliens could survive in our atmosphere, drink our blood, but, they had never come into contact with the bacteria before, so they die.

It was very similar to the start of life in the sea, millions of years back. All life were single celled forms, and they thrived in the sea. Then coral starting forming, producing oxygen. Out of the single celled forms in the sea, scientists estimate only 0.1% of cells adapted to the oxygen,and survived. The other 99.9% of cells couldn't handle the oxygen, and were poisoned.

Luckily the cells humans developed from were in this 0.1%.

Maybe H.G Wells didn't base the book on this principle, aliens and all, but it's definately the same kind of thing.

Excellent if you ask me!</font>
Old 07-01-2005, 07:03 PM   #17
Charlie
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:
It took billions of deaths for man to develop his immunity to the bacteria. It was mans biggest ally. The aliens could survive in our atmosphere, drink our blood, but, they had never come into contact with the bacteria before, so they die.
Exactly the same as the original then...how novel. I bet that took some thinking about, new ideas and all that.

[ 07-01-2005, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Charlie ]
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:15 AM   #18
Brayf
Zhentarim Guard

This film sucked so much.

I just saw it yesterday. I knew I should've seen Sin City instead.

SPOILER

How is the kid still alive after that explosion?! And what the hell, they all just suddenly die? Okay, I got the bacteria thing, but that's sooooo lame. In a novel, fine, in a Tom Cruise action thriller, nobody wants bacteria to be the hero! The tripods got boring after like the third one, the aliens were cute, and what the hell was with spraying people around everywhere? Dead bodies floating on the river? I thought they evaporated everyone? And if they were planning it before humans even existed, why not just take the damn planet there and then?! Worst film ever!

[ 07-02-2005, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: Brayf ]
Brayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:18 AM   #19
Brayf
Zhentarim Guard

Jesus, I had to go back and edit that about six times 'cause I kept noticing swearing in it (I originally posted it on another board). And they say manners don't cost a thing!
Brayf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:06 AM   #20
Lavindathar
Harper

<font color="cyan">As the film stated, they didn't take it as it was a backup planet, for when theres "dies".

I don't think they expected the humans to be produced, as they were there before humans existed.

The bacteria ending was good impo, because it was different. I'd never read the book, and wasn't expecting it. And if every tom cruise movie was the same, they would get a bit boring.

Not sure about the bodies in the water, maybe they were killed by debris or something, not the lasers.

And Charlie, it's the same ending because it's based on the same book. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be called WotW, and it would be a totally different story all the way through!

I liked it anyway!

Only thing I didn't like, was the boy should of died. That's a typical Speilberg cheese ending!</font>