Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 05-29-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
Vampire

Hey people, so what is the difference in hitting a tree and hitting a big fat monster????

I mean I killed this huge fat green toad like monster today and it was so hard! I am only level 4 and a wizard.

However, then I practice magic on a rat and my skill increases as well.

What is the point??

I mean I might as well clean out a forest before adventuring.

And why are cliff racers so hard to hit?
Old 05-29-2004, 10:51 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

It's not a flaw, it's a feature. which makes this game standout from any others.

A rat count as a monster. the green fat toad is also count as a monster. the point? just stand there if you see a rat, see what the rat will do to you. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

The cliffracer may have high AR/AC ( armor class/armor rating ) the higher it is the less chance ofyou hitting a thing. It could also mean your weapon skill is not high enough.

OR

You didn't hit the cliffracer because they are flying. wait for them to get close to you.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:24 PM   #3
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Yeah, you have to wait until they're right above you before you can reach cliff racers. They're still fairly tough when you're weak and have low weapon skill though.

I like the no experience thing - for me it's not a flaw, but just a difference. At first I felt like there should be experience, but I really grew to appreciate the system. And obviously, you're going to get more practice of your skills when you kill a really tough monster compared to a rat - one hit for me and a rat goes down, a cliff racer may take 3, a kagouti 4, a tough human, up to 10. And the fact that there are so many skills and you don't just get 'paid' for killing things I think is a real feature. It makes your options so much greater than in BG-type games, where there was really only one way to win - by killing all the baddies. In Morrowind, at least in some situations you can charm your way to success, use force, use sneaky tactics etc [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2004, 01:38 AM   #4
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

yep, simply a different system. you dont gain experience by completing quests but rather by repetitive practice of your skills. practice enough of your major and minor skills and you'll level your character up. i like the system better than just random leveling based on killing all and then uping any skill you want.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:09 AM   #5
Vampire

I don't see why they can't incorporate exp points AS WELL.

I mean to actually experience killing a dragon is surely different to killing 50 rats over a year???

The hsear difference between being attacked by a dragon and attacking back, and then finally killing a beast is surely worth something?
Old 05-30-2004, 05:30 AM   #6
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

yes, there is a distinct difference... killing a golden saint takes ALOT of hits, so you get ALOT of experience in a short time for whatever skills you used. killing fifty rats takes a short time each, so to learn the same technique takes longer. its the same way when you play any D & D game... for example, in icewind dale, killing 40 goblins would give me the same experience as killing one snow dragon.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Oruboris

What fat green toad? I've never run accross any fat green toads...

Couple of quickies: each time you succeed at something, you get better at it. Since you will need to 'hit' more times with [say] a chitin weapon than a steel one, if you are trying to train a particular skill, using a crappy weapon will get you points faster.

But that's as it should be, IMO, since it would be more difficult to use the lesser weapon.

Same with training your magic: build a spell in each school that costs only a point to cast, and cast it a LOT. If you make a healing spell that only restores one health point at a time, and use it in all non-emergency healing situations, your restoration skill will hit 100 very quickly.

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 03:55 PM   #8
Vampire

Good idea!

I am going to make spells that do 1 point and just click my mouse non-stop [img]smile.gif[/img]

P.S.

I think the massive green toad is called an orgrim? It's one of the concept art creatures, that is truly fat and big. can't get up stairs and ladders, so i just forstballed it a 23 times. 23 greater frostballs! And it was regenerating! agha.... sorry im only level 4 [img]smile.gif[/img]

I found it in a cave East of Velothi. Not far from the invisible man and his girlfriend who lost her ring in pond.

[ 05-30-2004, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Avatar ]
Old 05-30-2004, 09:21 PM   #9
Oruboris

Oh yeah... ogrims, and ogrim titans, which are actully weaker than regular ogrim.

Great to trap in the purple soul gems, since they are too slow to actually hit you.

BTW: hitting a tree does nothing, since it can't really be 'hit'...

Oru
Oruboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 02:58 AM   #10
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

heh, avatar, i dont know where you managed to find an ogrim, but at level four that SHOULD be a hard battle for you. ogrims are one of the upper daedra, they're slow as hell but have massive strength.

while at this level, stay away from:
-->gray/black guys in strange looking gray/black armor that has tiny bits of red trim.(dremora)
-->blue skinned girls with big wings and scorpion tails (dunno what they're called, but theyre pretty tough)
-->women made of solid gold who march around (golden saints)
-->generally ogrim, although if you can get above them and shoot down it's doable (ogrim)
-->large lizard things with crested heads like a triceratops (dunno the name, not really that tough)
-->strange looking guys that have weird smoky auras floating around them, one with fire, one with blue smoke, and one with little rocks flying around him. (flame atronarch, ice atronarch, storm atronarch... each one harder than the last)

those are the upper daedra that will appear more and more often as you get better. you may already see flame atronarchs soon, wait at range and as soon as they shoot move sideways to dodge because they have MASSIVE fire power. run towards them at changing diagonal approaches and hit em with the weapons while trying to continue to run sideways around them (in a circle around them, you should never stand still as you fight)