Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Choc Choc is PERFECT now! (Just was full of #2) lol... he sure is! :)

Well, once, a few years ago, he vomited up a hairball--3 times to get it out. Then went limp and I thought he stopped breathing. Scared the shit out of me. But 10 mins later, he's fine.

Well, today around 4:30pm, he did the same again--he vomits hairballs every month or so, even when I brush him--its a cat thing

But this time, he seemed out of it for a longer time. then he peed where he was and then tried to poop (he was a bit constipated). and he began panting.

I freaked out (kinda) but our vet is 1 mile away, and we got him there, and took an xray, saw the constipation. CBC test came back fine, his core temp was 99.8 (should be 102.4 (but he is scared sometimes when he vomits) he'll meow in a scary tone right before. He did this this morning... but after an hour, they brought him to us, and he stopped panting, seemed better (was on oxygen just to make sure all was ok) and he is on an overnight IV to replace fluids since he may have been dehydrated from vomiting... So he was stable and seemed over it, but god... him being there overnight is so worrying. They said they would call if anything happens, so I'm like freaked watching the phone. hehe.. I just can't loose Choc. He's our boy.

I think he'll be fine, I am going at 9am to check on him or possibly pick him up is all is fine.. He did poop 3 times before I left, so he got most of it out. (Siamese get constipated a lot.. gotta limit the dryfood I guess)

Just say a prayer for him tonight. I will be crushed if anything happened to him this sudden. He was eating/drinking fine 2 hours before this and was purring and jumped up and slept next to me while I was on the PC...

He's near or at 16 this year. But he has been in perfect health. He's strong, and a fighter. He may be blind, but he rocks, and acts just like any other cat.

This will be the longest night in a while.....

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: Choc is in the Vet -- Pray for him (I think he's ok now)

BTW, I liken what Choc had to this:

When I was young, and had to give blood for a test, afterwards, I would get dizzy and clammy and feel like I would faint.. (doesn't happen now for some reason) but I KNOW Choc hates and fears 'some' vomit episodes.. probably feels a certain way? dunno.

Anyway, I'm sure my blood pressure dropped, and my core temp probably dropped.. I assume that is what happened to him. he got scared. Imagine being blind and not knowing what is happening.. So sad.

I bet he's in that cage there PISSED. (We can only hope!) And wanting to get back home asap!

Old 05-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

He sounds fine now. Yes, it could be many things. Kidneys, liver, bladder even. Could simply be old age and the fact that the motors are showing strain. I have a dog who is 17 -she acts like she's 4 years old still, runs around like some insane thing. They can live to a ripe old age and not have a bother on them. I think he'll be 'aight sir.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:58 AM   #4
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Get well soon Choc.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #5
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

Any chance he ate something he shouldn't have? Sounds like the worst has passed (pun intended!) and he'll be fine...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

He's home now! Was purring all the way home! was happy to hear out voices
He ate a bit and drank a bit and now is sleeping.. I bet he's worn out..

I'll keep ya updated!!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Arvon
Unicorn

Good to hear.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
Chewbacca
Zartan

Best wishes for Choc's health and well-being!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
wellard
Dracolisk

Probably picked up a virus from a spammer you set him upon

Hope he is now back to top form

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #10
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Default Re: Choc is PERFECT now! (Just was full of #2) lol... he sure is! :)

They said all tests were fine (CBC, Urine, Xray all perfect.) yesterday they wanted to knock him out with anesthesia and then give him enema.. I said FIRST, I want to see him. They said he was 'breathing heavy when they picked him up' and I somehow didn't believe that.. or more like, he was breathing that way because he was freaked out by these strangers.

So he comes out. the SECOND he hears my voice, his eyes open wide and he instantly purrs and I know instantly he is fine. 100%. He was nudging me constantly and Donna, and walking around, wanting to get the hell home with us.

They REALLY wanted to give him an enema, but I will NOT risk anesthesia on him (he's 16) for something like this. This wasn't an emergency. He did empty out most of his #2 over night in the vet, and I softly felt his bowels (its not as weird as it seems. I was taught how to do this by a vet when I was 19), and he was 89% empty... (you never completely empty out) anyways..

So I say "He's coming home, he is fine. breathing was perfect. eyes clear, temp good and stuff. I have 32 years of Siamese care under my belt, and know many things/signs that vets don't learn from a BOOK.

(I also worry they just wanna do unnecessary procedures for $$$) -- I'm just being protective though. I know veterinarians are great. I'm not saying to ignore their advice for your pet. I just know exactly what was up with Choc in this instance) The panting was from fear. scared me.. They can foam at the mouth when they are scared too.

I know the behavioral aspect much better. They deal with health etc.. and all signs pointed to perfect for the king. er Choc.
Get him home, he instantly smells 'home'. and gets his baring. (blind) a few seconds later, he goes and drinks water, eats 3 small treats and went pee.
All good signs. He wanted to eat more, but I wanted his stomach to slowly ease into food.. He was so tired then.. was probably up all night wondering what the hell is up with the cage and other animal smells...

So he slept, woke up, ate, drank and then began cleaning the vet smells off him

*** A cat that cleans itself is a healthy cat in most cases. (unless they lick the same exact spot every time, this can indicate some skin or internal organ issue) the licking is a biological thing they do for wounds too. Dogs and cats will lick their wounds. Their Saliva contains a good bacteria that coats the wound and helps it heal.
Anyway, so we all go to sleep, and wake up to him scratching down the wall. (His 'I want to be fed wet food now, humans' thing he does). Another good sign.
He ate and is chilling next to me now! All is well. I AM PISSED kinda though.. They
shaved a patch on both front arms all around--like a poodle damn it! It was for an IV (for normal saline fluids)

And they cut his damn claws... I am pissed they didn't even ask me to to that. I guess it's normal.. I do know he will cut ya if you try to give him meds etc... hehe.. he must have shown them moves... BOW to the Choc, human vet creatures! Muhahaha lol...

So all is cool. 3 weeks, hair and claws will be back... Maybe I should take a pic of his arms? The vein they insert the IV into on one arm wasn't 'good' enough so they did the other arm... grr..
I will be monitoring him for a week closely. But I think all that happened is he was a bit constipated, and he freaked out when he threw up like that one time, and this time was just worse.