Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-07-2001, 10:25 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

Ok, Nanobyte, I'm officially calling a debate on this multi-classed deal.

Just so you know, I've yet to fully complete chapter 3 (I'm a chronic restarter), so please don't throw in any spoilers.

It's not that the advancement is slow. It's that it's painfully slow. Considering we're talking about cleric/mages, we'll take Aerie as an example. Most people agree that she's pretty useful at the start, but after chapter 3, her usefulness begins to taper off. Even those that still use her are either the fanatical members of the ALSB (and therefore their opinions don't count ) or use her merely as a support character. I'm not saying that the support isn't useful, but the PC (aka main character) shouldn't be playing a supporting role. It just doesn't seem right. When I play, I want to take a more active role than just sitting back and casting support spells so my party can fight for me. How can a multi-classed character fill these shoes?
Old 10-07-2001, 10:35 PM   #2
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

See it like this. Cleric abilities are defensive, and Mage abilities are MOSTLY offensive. Advancing to level 11 as a Cleric will not be worth the effort, since most spells require you to advance farther. I know playing through a game with a Cleric protagonist isn't as fun as we would like it to be, that is why I suggest a Multi-classed over a Dual-classed. ALTHOUGH you will be playing through a whole game as a Cleric, you would also be playing a Mage.

More on this debate later..
Old 10-08-2001, 08:38 AM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

Yeah, but you'll only be half of each. You can't cast the most powerful spells in either class. I see what you're saying about being more well rounded, but I don't want to be. I want to excel at something. Besides, I already intend to have a full cleric. I hate to say it, but clerics are much more boring to play than a mage. Mages get some really nice spells and are able to take a more active role in the game. Clerics mostly get support magic to beef up the party, heal, or other things like that. Granted, I know this is the nature of a cleric. But it doesn't make sense that this is also to be the nature of the PC.
Old 10-08-2001, 06:18 PM   #4
StarVid
Elminster

-=bump=-
Old 10-08-2001, 06:59 PM   #5
Nanobyte

If you only plan on being a Cleric to receive spells like Heal, then you have no need of being one. You receive Cure Minor Wounds as a bonus for being a Bhaalspawn. Dual-classed characters are better in some ways, but then again, so are Multi-classed ones. Unless you progress in one class, until you reach the full potential, the Multi-class will always be to the advantage. Look at it like this, you want to play a Mage. But you also wish to Dual-class him. If you begin as a Cleric, then you will have to progress through a short period of the game until your character reaches level 11. Now, if you were playing Multi-class, all that time you waste gaining levels in becoming a Cleric, you could be advancing into a Mage at the same time. I know you wish to specialize in a specific class, but who says you have to even out your powers? You could have your Cleric abilities for emergencies..
Old 10-09-2001, 12:25 AM   #6
StarVid
Elminster

I see what you're saying, but that cleric won't necessarily be as good as a straight cleric, nor will the mage be as good as a straight mage. The same goes for dualing actually. For the cleric/mage, I'd be about halfway through the game before I get my cleric abilites back. What's the point of that? I want to have a party of all single classed characters, but there are hardly any. Especially considering that I want Jah (fighter/druid), and need a thief (my only choice being the multi mage/thief Jan because the other theives are lacking). If the xp point distribution was split per class (so the multi classes would level as fast as the singles) instead of just splitting it 6 ways, then I'd go for it (though I'm aware that would make the multi's way too overpowered), but otherwise, I just don't have the patience to wait until the end of the game just to be able to cast Abi Wilt.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:32 AM   #7
Nanobyte

You'de have to be fairly down the road before you will be able to anyway.. Besides, if you begin in BG1, you will most likely receive the powerful spells early in BG2.