Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 08-07-2004, 07:26 AM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

My current Monk20/Sorc1/RDD5 is doing quite well, but I'm thinking that it would be fun to try a spell oriented character.

The Druid, the Wizard, the Sorcerer and the Cleric - I don't know the gameplay of any of these characters, but I'd like to try them out. 4 characters seem to be too many, so I thought I'd leave out the Wiz completely(since he's so similar to the Sorc) and make a Cleric/Sorcerer and a Druid/Shapeshifter.

But would a Cleric/Sorcerer be too difficult to play? I'm planning to level up the classes evenly(1 to 1/1 to 2/1 to 2/2), to make sure I get no experience penalties. I'm thinking whether the character would be too weak, since assuming I'd put 14 points into Wis and Cha, he'd be able to cast the lvl 9 spells at lvl 36 and 40, I think.

What do you think?

Thanks.

By the way, I'm planning to play the character with fanmade mods, probably starting with Shadowlands-Dreamcatcher-Demon.

EDIT: If you think adding any prestige classes would be beneficial, please tell me. Or if you know of any other good spellcasting class combos(with or without prestige classes), tell me.

[ 08-07-2004, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: uss ]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:22 AM   #2
Stratos
Vampire

What race do you intend to play with? If you play a human or half-elf, you don't have to worry about an experience penalty if you only have two classes.

For any pure spellcaster, I always start with at least 16 in the specific class' spellcasting attribute. If you play a Sorcerer/Cleric, I assume you'll use your Sorcerer spells to kill enemies and your Cleric spells to heal and buff yourself. In that case, you should probably invest more in charisma than wisdom to raise the DC of your offensive spells, something that isn't an issue for your healing spells.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
What race do you intend to play with? If you play a human or half-elf, you don't have to worry about an experience penalty if you only have two classes.
Well, I have this bad habit that I always choose a male elf with high charisma. I think I would be able to pick a half-elf if he didn't look as brutish as the human.

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
For any pure spellcaster, I always start with at least 16 in the specific class' spellcasting attribute. If you play a Sorcerer/Cleric, I assume you'll use your Sorcerer spells to kill enemies and your Cleric spells to heal and buff yourself. In that case, you should probably invest more in charisma than wisdom to raise the DC of your offensive spells, something that isn't an issue for your healing spells.
Hmm, I didn't know that it raises the DC. Thanks!

[ 08-08-2004, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: uss ]
Old 08-07-2004, 05:57 PM   #4
ScottG
Drow Warrior

Sorcerer/Cleric.. generally a bad idea to have 2 spell casting classes even in class level unless you start VERY high in character level. (and this isn't even taking into consideration the problem with attribute points.)

For instance a Sorcerer doesn't really come into power offensivly until about level 9. The Cleric is even worse.

My suggestion - play one type or the other.. not both.

If your going to tack-on another class then make the most of a few levels for that class. EX. my favorite combination is 2 levels of Monk and then Sorcerer. Essentially this allows the character to survive until they have achieved character level 11 - and thereafter becoming a powerhouse.

Additionally you'll have a VAST array of spells to choose from that won't be particularly helpfull offensivly (for the Sorcerer/Cleric).

As for the Druid/Shapeshifter. Understand that Shapeshifter is more of an add-on class. While your shapeshifted you can't use spells.. and while your a Druid spell casting you can't shapeshift. IF however your hitting epic levels and moving on from their then the Shapeshifter becomes more powerfull (particularly with undead form - Risen Lord). Note: it is nearly worthless to add a 3rd melee class with a Shapeshifter - the number of attacks are limited, so instead your better off augmenting either your druid class or adding a different class like Thief, Assasin, or ShadowDancer.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:09 AM   #5
uss
20th Level Warrior

So the Sorc/Cleric is off. Hey, I've got an idea: Sorcerer 20/RDD1-10/Weapon Master-. Would that be possible to do? I know I'd need LOTS of feats and that the Arcane Archer would probably be more practical, but I love katanas, and a dual-katana wielding high Dex and Cha sorcerer seems to be a very appealing class to me. Is it possible to do? What ability point values would I need to get all the needed feats?

Thanks.

[ 08-08-2004, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: uss ]
Old 08-08-2004, 07:32 AM   #6
Stratos
Vampire

It's very possible, yes, but you should focus on either spellcasting or melee. If you try to do both, you'll just be mediocre at both.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:29 PM   #7
ScottG
Drow Warrior

to many feats and katanas are not the weapons to use for a weapon master.. scimitars or rapiers are.

it is doable with 40 levels though..

because you only need 7 levels as a weapon master you have the 3 levels you'll need to pick-up the epic spells (feats) that are worthwhile: epic mage armor and hellball (dragon knight is not bad either). you'll have to choose them at the right time though to coincide with feat selection occuring and point distribution in the skill spellcraft.

still - I wouldn't..

another idea is: Sorcerer 23/Druid 4/Shapeshifter 13. Once you've burned through your spells you'll be able to shift into a Risen Lord. But again, its purely an maxed epic level character..
Old 08-08-2004, 03:37 PM   #8
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottG:
to many feats and katanas are not the weapons to use for a weapon master.. scimitars or rapiers are.
What do you mean? Don't Weapon Masters get a single weapon to be highly proficient with?

Oh well, I might do a Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple/Palemaster. I'll think of something.

Anyway, thanks to you both. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
What do you mean? Don't Weapon Masters get a single weapon to be highly proficient with?
Yes, any melee weapon, but a rapier or scimitar have a better critical range than a katana and Weapon Masters are all about critical hits.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #10
ScottG
Drow Warrior

What Stratos said..

PLUS, if you do go a purist caster route (Sorcerer) then consider a more defensive class - the Shadow Dancer. Afterall - you have all the firepower you need as a Sorcerer. In anything but a null-magic zone you'll be pretty much invincible (though wild-magic zones CAN be dicey), BUT you can summon before entering either and still have the summon with you when entering such a zone. Think: cast a spell, hide in the shadows, rinse and repeat. Additionally, the epic shadow lord summon is quite powerfull (better than a comperable palemaster summon at the same level.. until the absurd lesser demilich).