Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 08-22-2002, 12:31 PM   #21
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I'm sorry I just want an answer for my question [img]smile.gif[/img] )

I'M focusing,specializing on longsword and great sword. maybe I should go with great sword and bastard sword?? or is it a waste?
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 01:12 PM   #22
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
I'm sorry I just want an answer for my question [img]smile.gif[/img] )

I'M focusing,specializing on longsword and great sword. maybe I should go with great sword and bastard sword?? or is it a waste?
Sorry dude...your question took on a life of its own.

I thought Wolfgir and Sir Exxon answered your question anyway, but to specifically reply to it - the classical 3rd Ed PnP Holy Avenger is a longsword, as paladins would fight with it and a shield in the other hand. Carsomyr from BG2 is a greatsword. You can give any item Holy Avenger properties using the toolset - you can have a Holy Avenger Greataxe if you want.

As Tobbin has spoiled above, Aribeth's sword has Holy Avenger properties, meaning it gives 1d6 Divine damage. That's all the Holy Avenger property does AFAIK. And Aribeth's sword has alignment restrictions anyway, so unless you're planning to be a blackguard (evil paladin which is not an available char class anyway) you won't be able to use it. Hope this helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 02:32 PM   #23
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Thank you memnoch I got it [img]smile.gif[/img]

Aribeth's sword is bastard sword but not useful for me because I'm lawful good
There's other paladin swords. Holy avenger is a longsword. Well, there left only one question mark in my mind. I dont know about other magical swords in NWN. For example, if somebody asks me which weapon to specialize in BG2? I reply him 2-handed sword for BG2 and bastard swords for ToB. I'll specalize in great sword for NWN. but also I like to focus/imp cri/spec in another weapon type too (to use with shield) I'm undecided between longswords & bastard swords. I dont want to be regretful when I found a super bastard sword. which one you prefer longsword or bastard swords? which one is more often more powerful?
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Old 08-22-2002, 04:01 PM   #24
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:

I thought Wolfgir and Sir Exxon answered your question anyway, but to specifically reply to it - the classical 3rd Ed PnP Holy Avenger is a longsword, as paladins would fight with it and a shield in the other hand. Carsomyr from BG2 is a greatsword. You can give any item Holy Avenger properties using the toolset - you can have a Holy Avenger Greataxe if you want.

As Tobbin has spoiled above, Aribeth's sword has Holy Avenger properties, meaning it gives 1d6 Divine damage. That's all the Holy Avenger property does AFAIK. And Aribeth's sword has alignment restrictions anyway, so unless you're planning to be a blackguard (evil paladin which is not an available char class anyway) you won't be able to use it. Hope this helps. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Holy Avenger.
In the hands of any character other than a Paladin!!, this sword performs as a +2 longsword. In the hands of a Paladin, this holy (+1d6 ((obs, edited in an errata to 2D6!!)) points of bonus holy damage against evil creatures) becomes a +5 longsword., creates a spell resistance of 15 in a 5-foot radius, and casts dispel magic (usable every round as a standard action) in a 5 foot radius at the class level of the Paladin. (Only the area dispel is possible, not the targeted dispel or counterspell version of dispel magic.)
Market Price: 120315 GP.

Well thats the one from DMG at least, for the in game version, I donīt know if there is any other then Aribeths...

For the sake of argument the HOLY ability adds 2D6 of damage, hence the errata and stupid that people havenīt changed it, and Wizard is known for not being updated on their on errataīs VERY KNOWN! Just check the forums over there hehehe..

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:22 PM   #25
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Oh god please somebody answer my question (((

bastard sword or longsword ..
Old 08-22-2002, 04:27 PM   #26
WOLFGIR

Oki. Well well, as said, I donīt think you will find a holy avenger in the game easily.. So with that in mind.

I know there is swords up to +3 in the game, and some special swords. Bastardswords being one of them. The good thing with taking the bastard sword is that you can use all the exotic weapons in the game, and the katana that adds +1D6 of damage vs evil characters.

Cons, you loose one feat, and you get no special weapon to upgrade from chapter one and the only +1 bastard sword to buy in the game I think is in the Docks area.

That is as much as I know right now. I havenīt finished the game since Iīm still experimenting with characters teying to find the best solution to be able to play my "style" of game.. And itīs so fun to play barbarian I noticed!

Old 08-22-2002, 05:04 PM   #27
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:

Bastard swords, I believe, on average, do a little better. It really all comes down to player style though. Even saying that, based on other servers, I would still recommend bastard sword. There are more available than there are long swords.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:22 AM   #28
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:

Zoltan, there are enough good bastard swords and good longswords that you will not miss out on anything super-powerful if you go one way or the other. There are no "outstandingly-good" weapons where focussing on a weapon will give you that much of an advantage. Like asking which is better, an Audi A4 or BMW 318 - there's enough of both out there, you won't be disadvantaged by going either way.

To put you out of your misery, go the longsword route.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 02:40 AM   #29
WOLFGIR

If you go with the longsword you can save the a feat for lightning reflexes and avoid 50% of damage from all the nasty area effects..

You want that when people start casting bladebarrier!

Old 08-23-2002, 08:10 AM   #30
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

thanks everybody! I'll go with longsword+shield & greatsword. For the remaining 1 feat, I'll go with thoughness or lightnin reflex.

Also iron will sounds good too. because mind-affecting spells are always more dealy. A fireball cant kill you but a psionic attack, confuse, domination spell will kill your character instantly. Lightnin reflex may be useful for breath weapons etc.
lets discuss it on a new topic