Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-11-2001, 05:47 PM   #21
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Wiccan sounds like the word wicca which is orginally used for old woman who performs amazing feats (witch)

I somehow remember there was an religion related to nature and earth Goddess, it was way before Christianity. and those believers are wicca ??
Old 09-11-2001, 05:48 PM   #22
MagiK

Umm thanks for my second smile today Absynthe about the double negative thing....I think I ment it I know there are groups that are persecuted but I know of quite a few that seem to live rather peaceably in their communities. I wish people would quit hasseling people for doing their own thing if it isn't hurting them....nosey busibodies sort of annoy me...maybe cause Im always sticking my own nose where it may not belong...but I am curious by nature.

(I was smiling because I couldn't even decipher my own double negative)
------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

[This message has been edited by MagiK (edited 09-11-2001).]

Old 09-11-2001, 06:03 PM   #23
Absynthe

Hey, no problem MagiK, I always encourage and respect (or at least try to) curiosity. I hear you on the double negative thing after today, thinking in a straight line is difficult. Hope you have a good evening, friend.

Old 09-11-2001, 06:08 PM   #24
G'kar

[quote]Originally posted by Absynthe:
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Laughing at people who are trying to discuss and debate you is to be guilty of the same bigotry and folly wiccans seem to feel they are subject to.

The humor of the situation MagiK, from being preached at many a time, is the sheer ridiculousness of the pitch: You are a sinner (even though there is no "sin" in your religion) and you will go to hell (a place that does not exist in your religion) unless you forswear everything you believe in, and engage yourself in a mindset that is at least 160, if not 180 degrees from where you currently are in respect to your relationship with the universe.
A debate or even a discussion has absolutely nothing in common with proseletyzing and missionary work. So, yeah, it does get sometimes amusing when some beknighted person is trying to scare me into their belief system.

That is exactly what is humorous about such a scenario. It's not like we laughed in their face, I actually stated clearly and calmly on such occasions that I respected their beliefs and wished them well! It was after the fact that it was found humerous. Laughter is good medicine, and it better than getting all mad at those poor sods who just dont know any better. Compassionate is the key word.

Old 09-11-2001, 06:14 PM   #25
G'kar

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

And my last question...why do there seem to be so many more Wiccan groups in New England than in other parts of the USA...is there a locational significance?

I know in Salem, MA. there is a Witchcraft Musuem and from what I've read, a sizable population who practice the old religion. I think the historical signifigance of the Salem witch trials have something todo with this, but not everything.

Old 09-11-2001, 06:16 PM   #26
MagiK

Thanks G'Kar I was living in Maine for a few years and noted the large number of covens up there...I never thought aobut the salem witch trial connection. (DoH)

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-11-2001, 06:27 PM   #27
G'kar

Another theory about the NE connection is that back in colonial times, when the puritans came over so did the Wiccans. Fleeing to the new colonies to avoid religious persecution. Being a witch is a family tradition to some and modern witches in NE may have family roots to the region dating back to colonial times.

Old 09-11-2001, 07:45 PM   #28
HisDivineShadow
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Please tolerate this message. I copied/pasted it and am too lazy to edit it out to make more sense. Let's just say that someone said they believed wicca was a "dead end" religion in another section and I wanna clarify.

Hi! Well, I must say that I find the statement that Wicca is a spiritual "dead end" somewhat illogical (if not a bit offensive). Many modern philosophers would find Wicca a good path. Thoreau, for example. Wicca is a very flexible religion, but it focuses (to me) mainly on unity with the universe, or greater cosmic whole through unity with nature and truth. It is somewhat understandable that Wicca may SEEM like a "dead end" as it focuses on the development of the individual under mainly his own power, wheras Christianity does so with the aid of God. However, it parallels with The Middle Way of Buddhism in the "neutral" sense.
One must understand that spiritual fulfillment is different and varied. The "neutral" sense may SEEM dead, but let me assure you that I have followed the path of neutrality, and I have come to a sense of great contentment. I lack a strong sense of desire and greed, hate or happiness, but I feel a great sense of CONTENTMENT. In the extremities of my moods, I am happy and feel good.
I know of one buddhist passage that was quite amusing... "A high official once went to a monk seeking advice on the afterlife. He asked him, 'where will you go when you die?' The monk shrugged, 'I don't know.' The official was shocked, 'What kind of enlightened monk are you??? How can you NOT know where you go after you die???' The monk shrugged again and walked off, saying, 'I do not know because I have not died yet.'"
Each of us has different goals in life. Generally it is enlightenment, happiness, wealth, love, etc. Christianity (at least, the "true" Christianity that I see as being more to the heart of the matter. Evangelism seems so focused on life after death now) teaches how to have universal love to all bretheren. Wicca teaches the processes of earth and life, and the philosophical cycle of nature. From this, we learn to nurture and care for earth and each other by the way we care for earth. We are taught to "do no harm" (and in my opinion that includes changing other people's beliefs. It's very damaging, really). Learning how to be a good Wiccan, really, is learning how to be a mother, how to be a sage, how to be a creator, and how to be an honorable spiritual warrior. (Yes, even males must learn to be a mother. What being is more sacred, really?)
If anyone wants to chat, my AIM screen name is Wolfeblaze and I like stuff. I'm 17 and I really love philosophy and plants. ^_^
Nice meeting you all.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:56 PM   #29
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
I know in Salem, MA. there is a Witchcraft Musuem and from what I've read, a sizable population who practice the old religion. I think the historical signifigance of the Salem witch trials have something todo with this, but not everything.

there are more groups/covens there than America... there's a little more acceptance ther... trying to remember ... there's a research center AND a college for Wiccans? ....

[This message has been edited by adam warlock (edited 09-11-2001).]
Old 09-11-2001, 09:02 PM   #30
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

Does that magic actually work?

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

The Spaminyte Emperor
Fish?
Welcome to your doom!!!
Official villain/demon of IW!