Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 01-13-2001, 08:18 PM   #21
Armisael

3rd ed doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I heard they got rid of racial level limits and class choice limits, which begs the question; with all the demi-human races having bonuses like magic resistance, infravision etc., why would anyone bother being human?

Old 01-13-2001, 10:18 PM   #22
Tobbin
Red Dragon

For 3rd edition, it all boils down to player choice. Just because a class has certain abilities that are "better" than another class does not make them the "best". You have to remember that in many towns, most of the populace is human. They tend to look at other races a little untrusting. Some character types, like the half-orc, will be shunned or left out of important events altogether. They don't have dual classing for humans anymore because they have a modified multi-class for all races. You can now pick up a class during your travels and play both simultaneously. There are experience penalties for this, but it's MUCH more flexible now. For power gamers, they may tend to stay away from the human, but that's them. If you play true rules, then you will be limiting what you can use. Should you find armor and such not, if the area is predominantly human, then you won't be able to use it at all until you can get it modified. Costs more. This is just a sample of some of the adversity you could come across.
Old 01-13-2001, 10:26 PM   #23
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

Well... when dual-classing, after the mage class overtakes the Kensai, this means that it is kensai time again with the added power of spell-casting?
Old 01-13-2001, 10:30 PM   #24
Armisael

That might be, but think of it logically. Why are humans that abundant if the other races have so many advantages over them? In 1st and 2nd ed it was easily explainable by the fact that humans didn't have level restrictions - with enough training and experience, they could go above and beyond the strength of their demi-human cousins; now it would seem to make more sense that the world is ruled by elvenkind, with humans existing only as slaves or peasants. Anyone ever see Gattaca?

Old 01-13-2001, 10:34 PM   #25
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

The genetically perfect dominates the imperfect... I hate that movie... the discrimination...
Old 01-13-2001, 10:45 PM   #26
Azuth

Humans are abundant because like orc they breed like rabbits. and evles and dwarves and others having a longer life and so don't feel the need to spead their seed like wild fire.

Old 01-13-2001, 10:53 PM   #27
Armisael

I'm talking about why humans would ever be the standard race, i.e. most catered for, using 3rd ed rules. Even if they do bang a lot more than others, the elves and dwarves wouldn't have let themselves be dominated by some little second-rate species without anything going for them, would they? I know elves at least are far too vain to tolerate something like that.

Old 01-13-2001, 11:03 PM   #28
Azuth

evles are not VAIN! they are just older. they are used to a older world, if you read some of the books you see that the older races distain for the younger ones has coused them to ingore them and so the humans made things like different and dangours attack spells to prove them selfes better but the other speices didn't because they didn't war that often or when they did it was aganst other races. humans also throw them selves in to their jobs because they don't have long to live. while evles and dwarfs spend the first 100 years doing nothing because they are consided children. and spened the rest doing other thing because they don't belive that the power is important. its basicly a differents of ideals. if this is worng,i'm stumped.

Old 01-13-2001, 11:26 PM   #29
Armisael

I just fail to see how or why humans came to exist in a 3rd ed world. By all rights they should still be monkeys.
I've read a lot of books and I still believe elves are incredibly vain. 'Stuck in their ways', 'unwilling to associate with other races', 'Faerun didn't have all these filthy apes running around in my day'... call it what you will, it's still vanity.

Old 01-13-2001, 11:32 PM   #30
Azuth

Call it what you will but huamns came to exist the same as most races they became smart and develoup. you might as well ask how orcs or rabbits or Dragons came in to existance. evles don't compelety come from Faerum. Gold and Moon teleported from another world. and when they got there there was only green elves and the winged ones. the green were almost Druidic and the wing living on mountations being eaten by dragons. sea elves grow from these groups.