Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Came across this link to a site where a guy was asked to answer that age-old question... how easy is it to shoot a lock off, just like you see done in the movies? [img]graemlins/rambo.gif[/img]

The results are impressive [img]graemlins/shooter04.gif[/img] , and will do just a little to shatter the illusions that movies create. And with all the firepower in there, I thought of friend Felix.... [img]graemlins/badass.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:43 PM   #2
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Dude...this is like an episode of Mythbusters, only without Adam getting hurt. Thanks!

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I would not give this guy the time of day, much less any significant criticism. First off, look at his range! 25m. sheez, Ray could hit a lock at that range!

Ok, I'll settle down. Ok, it ain't hard to hit a target that big at 25m, even with a handgun. He did mention "according" to so and so, so he does realize the 44 is longer the king of handguns. Then he shows a .45 ACP! Well, I'll tell ya sumpin. A .45 ACP 245gr copper jacket WILL NOT FLATTEN on a soft metal lock like he shot. Now then, a .45 ACP lead wad cutter would. Again, his favortism.

The 5.56mm would do just that, (at that range), as would a 7.62mm (the FAL). But he must be a scatter gun man, because all of his ranges were short, and the scatter gun did in fact open the lock. Well, duh. That is exactly the sweet spot of a scatter gun.

Now then, he never really shot at any distance, nor of any superior caliber.

Wonder what the results would be if for arguments sake; He were to have shot one of those locks at say 1,000m or 1km with say an M82A1? Probably would have been just a little different. Then again, judging by his age, he may not of handled the recoil of said weapon, then there would have not been any report.

BLUF (bottom line up front) A shotgun within 25m range is devestating, a rifle or handgun is not! Keep in mind rifles are made for distance shooting. Handguns for point blank range!

Would make for a good read if....

His Myth has been busted, he is surely a scatter gun man!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:18 AM   #4
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

He shot from 15 feet away, Felix.

And yeah, the .50 rifles would probably decimate one of those locks.

[ 11-27-2005, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Ilander ]

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
He shot from 15 feet away, Felix.

And yeah, the .50 rifles would probably decimate one of those locks.
Oops! I didn't even read that. I just 'guestimated" the range from the picture. Ok, so now it's even worse. That means the rifles didn't even really get to full velocity before they hit the target. Which means no real effect for the 7.62mm which has a muzzel velocity of roughly 2700FPS, at or about 45 ft from the muzzle. The 5.56 XM193 he fired is type CLASSIFIED, so you can only get that from Police ballisticians, but it's pretty ferocious for a 5.56mm, as is depicted by the exit hole, (notice that is the only exit shot). Then that fully plays into the scatter gun mentality, of 'mo better', 'mo slug, mo velocity, mo target effect'.

It's still a good article, and makes for a good laugh. I thought I might have known of this dude, but he spelled Blain without the "e", so then it would not be the the guy Blaine was speaking of. He (they) did a shoot similiar to this in North Eastern Oregon with both Police, and National Guardsmen to show them the effects of the Mossberg 500 with alternating slugs, and 00 buck for room clearance. There is not much that can stop a 12 gauge "special" slug out to about 20m.

I must agree, I would NOT place the muzzle of a 9mm to a solid lock and pull the trigger either. Something just don't sound right about that!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote