Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-06-2003, 01:44 PM   #1
Mojo
Elminster

A thought that occurred to me in the "Healthy God Debate" thread. It mentioned Harry Potter, then somebody later went on to say how the church is opposed to so-called "Black Magic".

But, the purpose of this thread is simply to ask this: Do you belive in magic?
Old 05-06-2003, 01:49 PM   #2
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Hm...I guess you could say I kinda believe in magic...I believe that the occult stuff works. Levitation, etc. I think that is Satan's power, which in turn is God's given power abused. I believe it is wrong. But I guess it isn't "magic" as such. I think that you can get possessed by demons as well. Paralysed on one side, and all that.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:53 PM   #3
Mojo
Elminster

Slicer, you think that all examples of the occult stuff is Satan's Power? Do you mean to say that power such as that is a devine right, only to be used by God? Or is possible that God intended this power to be used?
Old 05-06-2003, 01:53 PM   #4
MagiK

Nope sorry don't believe in the occult. Also don't believe in the "super natural" Everything in the Universe is just plain Natural, there are things we do not know, and things we have not yet discovered, but there is nothing "super" about it...its all just Natural.

Old 05-06-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Well, yes... kind of. [img]tongue.gif[/img] But I believe that all things would have some kind of explanation. I mean, if you showed a tv to somebody from 300 years ago, they would think it was magic. But we all know it isn't. [img]smile.gif[/img] So I do believe there are things which cannot be explained yet, but which someday will be. [img]smile.gif[/img] Er, could that be called magic? Emm, okay, maybe I don't believe in actual magic then, hehe.

PS: Just saw slicer's post... Yea, sure, I could believe in levitation, but I bet it would have some kind of explanation. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Oh, yea, one more thing. Some things Jesus supposedly did sound like magic to me. [img]smile.gif[/img] So how does the church distinguish between this kind of good magic and the other evil magic? But maybe this is off topic.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:57 PM   #6
Mojo
Elminster

My point here, MagiK, is do you belive in magic? Not so much the supernatural, I mean the possibility of the natural power that many perceive to be magic?

I agree with you though, to a point. I belive that there are such things as ghosts etc. but I don't belive there's anything occult about them, simply that we don't have a satisfactory and accepted explaination yet.

EDIT: Spelca, that was my original thought, about the Church declaring all magic evil. You managed to say it better than I. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-06-2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Mojo ]
Old 05-06-2003, 02:02 PM   #7
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

If things we have yet to discover is not supernatural, then what excactly is it, my oppion on supernatural is that it is there, but it is also a part of this world, there for since we have not seen it yet, or do not belive in it, that makes it unknown or supernatural, and yes i belive in magic and the occult and demons ghost all of it are a part of this world
Old 05-06-2003, 02:05 PM   #8
slicer15
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Mojo:
Slicer, you think that all examples of the occult stuff is Satan's Power? Do you mean to say that power such as that is a devine right, only to be used by God? Or is possible that God intended this power to be used?
Hm...well, I believe that only He has a right to use it, yes. That is why Jesus could use it, as He was God in human form, yet also the Son of God (don't ask me about that). He used it responsibly and spread God's word with it. And I believe occult stuff is Satan giving humans part of that power, as I believe he used to be an angel. So, levitation (not the kind of "magic" you see on stage wizards do...I'm talking about the real thing here...that is lifting people with two fingers, chanting some sort of stuff or whatever, and then leaving the person floating in mid-air) is abuse of God-given power to Satan.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:07 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Well, they're located in Orlando, but i defenitely don't believe in them.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:08 PM   #10
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

hmmm have to disagree with you slicer, i feel that if you are born with the ability, then how is it wrong, after all if you have had since you were born, did not your GOD give it them?