Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 05-04-2001, 02:59 PM   #1
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Just wanted to start a thread on useful spells:

I love grease. It slows 90% of the enemies while I pound them with ranged attacks. Can't say enough about this wonderful little spell.

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Father Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 04:41 PM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I must admit, I have never even tried that spell. I usually waste all my time getting all the good spells, and powerful stuff, and then not even using it. I usually end up hoping that my thief's arrows will clean out the ranks, and my muscled fighters beating down the big guys.

------------------

Larry, a Loyal Guardian of the OHF
Larry_OHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 05:06 PM   #3
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

i have only used it a couple of times - my own team end up more hampered by it than the enemy!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 05:11 PM   #4
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
I must admit, I have never even tried that spell. I usually waste all my time getting all the good spells, and powerful stuff, and then not even using it. I usually end up hoping that my thief's arrows will clean out the ranks, and my muscled fighters beating down the big guys.

I tend to do that as well - but I find Fireball is very good for thinning enemy ranks and softening up the tougher ones. Actually, any 'area effect' spell is VERY useful. I use 'em much more than 'target only' spells, though Aganazzer's Scorcher is nifty - provided none of your own team get in the way!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale
Fljotsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2001, 07:47 PM   #5
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I use grease, especially at low level. As Father Bronze says you can really nail them with missiles before they get near you.
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 04:41 AM   #6
Khanar
Manshoon

I tried it a few days ago because I too had ignored it. It was pretty good. Better than good starting out, if you don't have a druid with entangle, or a mage with access to level 2 spells (such as WEB!).
Khanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 10:23 AM   #7
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
I tend to do that as well - but I find Fireball is very good for thinning enemy ranks and softening up the tougher ones. Actually, any 'area effect' spell is VERY useful. I use 'em much more than 'target only' spells, though Aganazzer's Scorcher is nifty - provided none of your own team get in the way!
For a really fun time, try grease and then fireball. I wiped out most of any enemy horde when they went to rush me. The grease worked sort of like a wall. The enemy all got bogged down and jammed into one nice big pack. Then wham hit'em with the fireball.

------------------
Old 05-05-2001, 02:51 PM   #8
Gaelic
Elminster

I have not done much with AoE spells. I suppose I am still a novice at controlling combat in the Infinity games. I tend to go toe to toe.

------------------
Gaelic
Gaelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2001, 03:21 PM   #9
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Area of Effect spells work great. The fact that ranged attacks seem to be more effective than close combat magnifies their usefullness.

When using grease and a party full of archers (okay, the cleric uses a sling), I can take out an entire enemy horde without a scratch. Fighting the same battle hand-to-hand results in a lot of suffering and additional healing after.

Ranged attacks are very effective (except of course when you get the "weapon ineffective" message because you're using normal arrows against a creature that can only be hit by magical weapons -- I've wasted quite a few arrows that way). The only bugger is running out of ammo.

------------------
Old 05-05-2001, 03:22 PM   #10
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yea Gaelic I've fireballed myself a few times lol, but once you figure out the range.....oh yea baby kaboom!
Lord of Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote