Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-28-2004, 04:52 PM   #11
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
While on topic I don`t have any AV program or firewall. So after installing Avast! and AntiVir (from Larry`s post) I found one virus. And of course I am using Mozilla. Also I was thinkhing on getting Thunderbird client. Any opinions?
The only thing mozilla blocks is spwyware or some really virus-like spyware that gets caught by your antivirus. If the virus wasn't this you might as well watch your download habits as a full line of defense isn't useful if you're the weak link. edit: plus mozilla makes managing cookies easier getting rid of and blocking counters and the like

[ 08-28-2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: philip ]
Old 08-28-2004, 04:56 PM   #12
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by philip:
quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
While on topic I don`t have any AV program or firewall. So after installing Avast! and AntiVir (from Larry`s post) I found one virus. And of course I am using Mozilla. Also I was thinkhing on getting Thunderbird client. Any opinions?
The only thing mozilla blocks is spwyware or some really virus-like spyware that gets caught by your antivirus. If the virus wasn't this you might as well watch your download habits as a full line of defense isn't useful if you're the weak link. edit: plus mozilla makes managing cookies easier getting rid of and blocking counters and the like [/QUOTE]Yeah I know. That`s why I changed to Firefox from IE. I just expresed in the wrong way.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:54 PM   #13
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

I use mozilla: firebird.
I woulden't dream of using IE.
Thats just asking for trouble.

But still, some things goes through, thats why i scan regularly.

[ 08-28-2004, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: bjorn ]
Old 08-28-2004, 11:50 PM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

One difference between Firefox and IE is that most virus writes and spyware writers build things around IE and how it operates. Since Firefox is different, it doesn't work the same. Often, it just doesn't work.

Ditto for Thunderbird -- most virus writers aim for Outlook or Outlook Express because they're so common. Since Thunderbird is different, it doesn't work the same, and the virii may not work either.

In today's world, I would not be caught without anti-virus protection. Period. The other stuff you can clean up afterward, but the virus often does its damage immediately.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:50 AM   #15
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I found another virus. Something.sig. I cliked delete all files but the program says that I am still infected.

ADD: The program found two infected files and deleted them succesfully. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

[ 08-29-2004, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: Xen ]