Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-27-2004, 02:48 PM   #11
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

that sounds as bad as a wood roach, these things can get as big as the palm of my hand, and they bite, I was bitten by one during one of our trips to mississippi, it was flying around the tent, looked like a giant cockroach, I went crazy trying to get someone to kill it [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] and I am normally not that afraid of bugs, don't like em much, but not scared of them
Old 05-27-2004, 03:28 PM   #12
Stratos
Vampire

Here's a big bug for ya. And the pictures are life-sized, this is how big they are in real life.

Scroll down and take a look at the larva at the bottom of the screen. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-27-2004, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 05-27-2004, 08:44 PM   #13
Nerull
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Stormymystic:
it was probably a lunar moth, they are endangered, so what ever you do, do not get caught killing them...take em out in the woods first
LOL...bad, bad, bad! Oh, and when I lived in Corpus Christi, we would get roaches that big (first time I saw one of those, I thought it was a bird, too). I've just never seen a moth that big before. I would have hated running into that wood roach; it was bad enough helping clean an old warehouse and having them crawl on you. One that was big enough to bite (considering what they eat)? No thank you!

Vaskez, I knew right away it wasn't a bat. Bats down here fly much faster than this did (plus, I know what bats look like; the roost right north of us and fly in every night). This thing did that slow, lazy flying typical of a moth near a window, then it landed on the window, where I could see it was a moth.

Stratos, that is one nasty looking beetle! We get some big ones of them down here, too, but nothing worse than large black beetles about 2 - 3 inches long. I've had them crawl on me before, too, and they are harmless (scary looking, but harmless). I wouldn't get anywhere near that thing...

Moths and beetles don't scare me. Scorpions and brown recluse spiders bother me, as do the TONS of wasps/hornets/yellowjackets that get in my house all of the time. If it doesn't attack, it really doesn't bother me. Exception: flies. I HATE flies. I hate eating outside, and having to hold my fork/spoon with one hand and shoo away flies with the other. Ruins the whole meal.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 05-28-2004, 09:35 PM   #14
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

I live in Australia, and believe me, there are gigantic bugs here.
In the area of Australia that I live in we get gigantic everything; moths, roaches (especially australian ground roaches the can get up to 9 or 10 cm long/wide), spiders, beetles etc
I remember when i was 9 years old, I walked into my room to get changed and bam! right in the middle of my wall was a huge garden spider...the body was about 8 cm wide and 11cm long...and with the leg span it made it look like it was 20cm wide; the spider was bright green as well. And being my scared self i ran into the lounge room telling my dad to kill it...lol [img]tongue.gif[/img]
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 05-28-2004, 09:42 PM   #15
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Lauren that is why I live in a nice cold enviroment like Canada -40 C tends to kill those critters off. But then we have the whole polar bear problem.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:37 AM   #16
Nerull
Lord Ao

What makes it worse this year is that it has been unseasonably warm and rainy this entire year. We only had a couple of freezes early on and just a ton of rain. Mosquitos are terrible right now; every time I go outside I get eaten alive. The wasps, etc. started building nests a full month early. Thus, it should not surprise me to see large specimens of insects running/flying around, as conditions have been ripe for it (global warming at its finest).

Yeah, I imagine that living in the colder climes tends to reduce the number of bugs you get, but then you have other problems (I do NOT miss shoveling snow every year).

[ 05-29-2004, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Nerull ]
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 05-29-2004, 02:57 PM   #17
Spirits forever

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
Here's a big bug for ya. And the pictures are life-sized, this is how big they are in real life.

Scroll down and take a look at the larva at the bottom of the screen. [img]smile.gif[/img]
damn...those are big!! [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2004, 02:24 AM   #18
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Mack_Attack:
Lauren that is why I live in a nice cold enviroment like Canada -40 C tends to kill those critters off. But then we have the whole polar bear problem.
Heheh....well we don't have polar bears, but we do have kangaroos in the town that i live in and sometimes they can be very dangerous.
"So many thoughts running through my head, I know what you feel, I know what you dread; When a room's filled with laughter, when a room's filled with lies, you're the only one I know that's in disguise..."
Old 05-31-2004, 03:35 AM   #19
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

hey Lauren

Which town would that be ? Im near Penrith in NSW and we see the occasional Roo but not in town.

Reminds me of the stories that we tell the Americans of the Kangaroos that hop across the Harbour Bridge at sun down.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:02 AM   #20
Lauren
Baaz Draconian

Heheheheheh good work TDC.
Well I live in the state of Queensland, in a little town called Bundaberg which is 4 hours away from Brisbane.
And sometimes you get (if you live on a farm) Kangaroos in your back yard eating your grass. It's a wonderful sight [img]smile.gif[/img]
I don't personally have a farm I live in the middle of town so I don't get to see as many roos. But last year when I used to sleep over at my friends place (she lived on a farm) I got to see that wonderful sight of the kangaroos every morning I stayed there.