Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2004, 12:04 PM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Now that a boy got sued for using KaZaA (apparently, AFAIK), there doesn't seem to be a lot of people using it which is a shame because it was pretty much the most popular and easy to use file-sharinf-program out there. I am currently using eMule which is okay, but I don't like the way it seems to wait until it connects to all possible users until it begins the download. So which is the most popular and easy to use file-sharing-program out there? Preferably free, of course. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-17-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

I'll just act like a hypocrite and say that discussions on filesharing programs on IW are bad, mmmkay?
Old 05-17-2004, 12:17 PM   #3
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
They are? I thought it was just crack websites and stuff... Anyway, I was going to download totally legit stuff, nothing illegal - i hate that sort of thing...
Old 05-17-2004, 01:48 PM   #4
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

If you are using it to download legal stuff you shouldn't be afraid of anything in the first place.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:09 PM   #5
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
If you are using it to download legal stuff you shouldn't be afraid of anything in the first place.
umm, what? since when did he say he was afraid of anything? he simply stated that due to the sueing, nobody is using kazaa. ive always thought that kazaa was a waste of time anyway.

if your looking for a decent filesharing program, get Bitorrent. ive had demo's downloading at Max speed before!
Old 05-17-2004, 06:31 PM   #6
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

ehm, there is now an ip blocker for Kazaa, which means they cant find you, I wont post the link here though, Im pretty sure IW doesnt like filesharing questions. Oh and guys, anything downloading on kazaa is illegal! Thats why someone got sued for it, DUH!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2004, 06:38 PM   #7
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
umm, what? since when did he say he was afraid of anything? he simply stated that due to the sueing, nobody is using kazaa. ive always thought that kazaa was a waste of time anyway.
[/QUOTE]But if he's downloading only legal stuff (which are mostly relatively small patches and the like), he doesn't even need that many people on Kazaa to share it in the first place - 'sides, the Kazaa-network is still far from deserted. So something doesn't seem to add up here. If it's a duck, just call it a duck and don't hide behind the excuse of it being some well-fed sparrow.
Not that I could claim any moral higher ground on this subject, mind you (especially not in Yorrick's terminology).

[ 05-17-2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 05-17-2004, 06:45 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Installed on my Computer are Kazaa Lite, Emule, Bittorent and Dc++.

All of them have their uses, but I like Bittorent and DC++ better right now.

Some weeks ago, I had to download the 1.2 Gig Lineage 2 American beta client from Bittorent because the official website was too slow.

Kazaa and Emule are mostly only good patches and small files, but Bittorent and DC++ are good enough for big files. Lots of websites have started using bittorent as a alternate download method.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:21 AM   #9
Knightscape
Manshoon

A good all around client is Shareaza. http://www.shareaza.com/

You can use it to download from Emule, Bittorent, and the G2 network (Morpheus, LimeWire, BearShare etc...), and as a added bonus there is no spyware or adware included.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:17 AM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

shareaza (or was is shareeza?) is good. it can accomodate bit torrents as well if your interested. there is a website link memnoch gave me. it shows all the popular filesharing programs in the interenet.

Catch me if you can..