Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2001, 11:34 AM   #41
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
AAAAAAGHHHH! I've been spotted!
I hope I wasn't:
1. Drunk and dribbling down my chin
2. Drunk and being abusive
3. Drunk
4. All of the above

LOL!

So it was you then!

------------------

Save Chip - Don't let Sarah win!
Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas
Old 05-29-2001, 11:57 AM   #42
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

I've been amazed at how close this community is. Not to spoil the mystique or anything, but in Communication Studies (Father Bronze switches into teacher mode) we refer to acts of self-disclosure .

When an individual carries on a conversation, there come opportunities to share information about yourself. Depending on how comfortable you feel in that situation, you may be willing to share that information. For example, if you are talking with a complete stranger, discussing the weather, and you remember a similar sunny day a few years back when you were walking the beach, you might choose to say something like, "yeah, today is just like the day when . . . " and thus share something about yourself. It takes a significant amount of personal risk to self-discolse information about yourself. The biggest risk is that the person you are talking with will totally "blow you off" and go back to talking about the weather. In that case, you will most likely feel rejected or intimidated, thus not disclosing more information about yourself. If, on the other hand, the other person responds by telling you something about themselves, you begin to form a bond. Each act of self-disclosure becomes easier after that. Of course, there are some things that you will never share, but that is just human nature. The question is which member of the conversation will take the first step and risk telling something about themselves.

This board is a unique communication environment. The communication isn't always two-way. You have the opportunity to read other people's histories without having to risk anything yourself. That gives you the chance to feel closer to others than they may feel to you. The result is that after reading a few stories, it is easier to reveal private information about yourself -- others have already taken the risk by posting the information about themselves. When you do get around to posting, you have an idea of what types of information are acceptable and what gets a positive response -- thus lowering the risk level even more. It's sort of like listening to a conversation for a while before joining in. You can assess the situation before taking any risks.

I hope I didn't bore anyone with my lengthy discussion. This forum is truly an amazing communicaiton environment. If I ever need a research topic for a graduate class in communcation studies, I would gladly analyze this board (going back and counting instances of self-disclosure, categorizing them, and counting responses). I find this stuff just incredible.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 05-29-2001, 01:04 PM   #43
onthepequod
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Father Bronze:
I hope I didn't bore anyone with my lengthy discussion. This forum is truly an amazing communicaiton environment. If I ever need a research topic for a graduate class in communcation studies, I would gladly analyze this board (going back and counting instances of self-disclosure, categorizing them, and counting responses). I find this stuff just incredible.

Yawn.....what....ummmm....no not bored at all. J/K

Good observation. I must concur. The willingness of people on this forum, to share something about themselves, is remarkable.
Old 05-29-2001, 04:11 PM   #44
Gaelic
Elminster

I'm pretty much just gathering info for my files.

Damn! I hate it when I lose my inner monologue!

Disregard! Disregard!

------------------
Gaelic
Old 05-29-2001, 04:40 PM   #45
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
I'm pretty much just gathering info for my files.

Damn! I hate it when I lose my inner monologue!

Disregard! Disregard!

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the Order of the Holy Flame and the Laughing Hyenas, &
Official Entertainer Elf of the BG2 Bar

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 05-29-2001, 04:42 PM   #46
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Well i never really realised how wellknit the community is, back in bgdungeon it was nonstop arguments but this is more peaceful and calm i like it here a lot more.I mainly post for a laugh but seeing everyone being so friendly gives me a warm glow inside

------------------
Old 05-29-2001, 04:44 PM   #47
jabidas
Silver Dragon

Well i never really realised how wellknit the community is, back in bgdungeon it was nonstop arguments but this is more peaceful and calm i like it here a lot more.I mainly post for a laugh but seeing everyone being so friendly gives me a warm glow inside

------------------
Old 05-29-2001, 04:51 PM   #48
jabidas
Silver Dragon

o sorry double post my sincere apoligies

------------------
Old 05-29-2001, 05:10 PM   #49
onthepequod
Quintesson

Double posting is a serious crime around here. Don't let it happen again.
Old 05-29-2001, 05:11 PM   #50
onthepequod
Quintesson

Double posting is a serious crime around here. Don't let it happen again.