Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 04-01-2001, 09:08 PM   #1
Onias
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am wanting to make a fighter/thief and was wanting some input..
in your opinion do you think its better to start with a thief and duel to a fighter or fighter to thief? what are the advantages and disadvantges to both?
I am wanting to duel weild longswords and only need the thief to lockpick and remove traps. I would prob chose swashbuckler as the kit for thief if I started with him and the Beserker for the Fighter.
Old 04-01-2001, 09:12 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Dual from fighter to a thief has several advantages:
-more hit points
-can develop thiefing skills to higher level
-theif advance pretty fast relative to the other classes, so you can gain fighter's ability back more quickly

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 04-01-2001, 10:38 PM   #3
Evil Jake

Swashbuckler /Fighter rocks. Max without cheating 10th/19th or 11th/18th.
The Swash bonus's you get for reaching 11th level outweigh the advantages of getting an extra fighter level.

Old 04-01-2001, 11:21 PM   #4
Jimbo
The Magister

Well, multi is fun, going with fighter/thief, and most races are good with elf being nice in that you can get some killer dex (up to 19) and str, but loose out on some con (limited to 17), or the half-orc is pretty brutal too.
Disadvantages are that you only get 2 points in weapon profiency, and can only backstab with backstabable weapons (Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-To, longsword, shortsword, katana, club, and quater-staff, but that is for any thief anyway), you do get better THAC0 and more hitpoints. You can wear more armour but you will loose your thiefin abilities if you do.

Duel-classin' is what I did. Get your human fighter up to 9, then duel class to thief, you need to have 17 or 18 dex in primary stats of fighter and thief to be able to do this. Advanatages: weapon profiency up to 5 like a fighter
more hit points.

Even though some don't like to use shadow keeper it is nice because I like to use the thief style character (the default for duel class fighter/thief is the fighter and you can't change that), and it allows you to assign the weapon proficency the right way, instead of forcing you to spend it when you wanted to save it.

A lot of the board members love the idea of the kensi/thief (duel-class) as you will get some awesome backstabs.

Straight thief can be done, and some of the more rewarding are assasin and bounty hunter. Either one is nice to play, especially if your into the rogue live style.

Good luck

------------------
Drink and be merry
Jimbo
"Renegade, Rebel, and Rogue"
Old 04-02-2001, 02:01 AM   #5
Rikard

Well if you have shadowkeeper you could try create a Fighter/assassin
why?

High HP
Assassins need a lot of levels for their thief skills and thus must be dualled to
you can get up to 7x backstab
fighters don't get better much at leveling up (i'm gonna get killed for saying this)

I even got a Fighter/Assassin which is my only character who cannot cast spells

------------------

All Hail the Seventh house Sorcerer
Master Magician of Necromancy
Prince Rikard T'Aranaxz of Natri'x
Clanmaster and Mental Father of the OHF
Ramanish of Neathan'Calith
High Priest and son of the Eternal Phoenix
Shadowlord of the Silver Shield
Baron of Yusliks
Duke of Gerdran
Duke of Tralixz
Lord and General of the Army of the West

AND!!!
Laughing Hyena!!!

Old 04-02-2001, 05:46 AM   #6
Masutarim
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I recommend Kensai/Thief(Lv14/15)....This class will do beatiful damage to your enemy......(In my experience, I did 200 damage to Firkraag(the red dragon) with critical hit)

disadvantage: Don't wear armor
(i can't remember any other.)