Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-30-2000, 03:50 PM   #1
Axis

I'm still having problems with magic users and all their enchantments. All 6 people in my party shouldn't become useless as soon as a mage appears!! I don't know exactly what enchantments these as#holes are covering themselves in, however I do have trouble with: Protection from Magic Weapons, Protection from Magic, and about 100 others I'm not familure with at this time. Any advice will help please???

Old 11-30-2000, 04:56 PM   #2
antaren420

mages usually use the following spell protections:
stone skin, protection from normal or magical weapons, spell immunity, spell turning or spell trap, mirror image, globe of invulnerability, or if its a very high level mage its Mantle and Improved Mantle

you can get rid of stone skin and mirror image by a normal disspell magic. protection from normal or magical weapons can be taken down with the 5th lev mage spell Breach. 4rth level Secret word can be used to kill one 8th level protection or lower, or if the enemy mage has globe of invunerability then you must use a more powerful spell such as pierce magic. improved mantle and spell trap are a bitch, as they cound as level 9 enchantments and can only be taken down by spells like 8th level ruby ray of reversal or level 9 spell thrust.

the best way to deal with a mage is to have atleast one worrior with a magical weapon and a normal weapon in the quick slot. summon creatures if you cannot take down the mage's defences...the creatures most likely wont do any damage if you cant, but they can be cannon fodder until some of the mage's protection's durations run out. in any event, a mage's protactions wont last more then 2 minutes, the only exceptions being stone skin and spell turning, which last...uh, a long time. those two protections should not be much of a problem, as atleast you can still hit and do damage to the mage.

however, these protections take a while to take down, even when you ARE prepared for taking on a mage, they still can mess you up badly. and thats ONE mage, making the mistake of casting spells in amn before getting the spell licence gives an EXCELLANT example of taking on several very pissed mages. keldorn is also great for taking on mages as his disspell magic will take away the most basic protections very quickly.

Old 11-30-2000, 05:18 PM   #3
Axis

Thanks 420. I'll try some different things, I guess I just need to work on my Magic spells and using them properly.

Old 11-30-2000, 09:31 PM   #4
Armisael

Don't feel down about these mages. Just remember: they cheat. Some of them are level fifteen and have spells like horrid wilting, time stop and wail of the banshee. Usually they cast (instantly) up to four protection spells as soon as you see them without any sort of contingency, as well. I don't often fight a mage with spells, except disabling spells like emotion or hold person/monster. Just breach them and start bashing away. Oft-times as soon as you breach they'll just cast another stoneskin and/or protection from magical weapons or mantle (in some sort of stupid non-existant spell trigger like a Magic Tattoo). Most mages don't have any spells memorized more than twice, though (except magic missile and often melf's acid arrow), so you don't have to worry about wasting TOO many breaches. Mantle, protection from magic weapons and all those type of spells all only last for about half a minute, so if you run out of breaches, you can just wait in the fog of war before going up to kill them.

Old 12-01-2000, 05:14 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

A really good spell to use to disable enemy spellcasters is Insect Plague, Level 5 druid spell. 100% spellcasting failure for the unlucky target.

Has anyone tried to cast an Otiluke's Resilient Sphere on an enemy mage to take them out of a battle?
Old 12-01-2000, 06:20 AM   #6
Suul-Yinn

Yes, I use it regularly to take out the more dangerous foes, whilst I concentrate on killing their back-up. That way I can focus all my attention on them when I am ready. Worked brilliantly on Sarevok in BG too...