Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2003, 05:40 PM   #1
SomeGuy
Unicorn

What are some of the startegies you use in IWD2? I just sue 2 strategies.
1) "KIIIIIILL EVERYTHIIING!! HACK! SLASH! BATTLE!! You hack your way outta here and I'm gonna sing your praises!!" (Qoute from a sword in BG2)

2) Pause game. And send people to do certain jobs like Mages cats a spell,fighter attacks,cleric cast offense spell,etc;.

So what are some of your strategies?
\"I firmly believe that any man\'s finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.\"<br />-Vince Lombardi
SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Basically mine are just like yours, however..

- I use my rogue to hide and scout areas for me, upon seeing monsters I shoot them with arrows. they'll follow the rogue to my waiting party and slaughter them.

- usually in HOF mode, I cast high level summon and let them scout with my rogue, upon seeing monsetrs, my rogue retreat but summon stays, the monsters will usually attack the summon. my mages then blast them all to smithreens.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:20 PM   #3
Dmouse
Dungeon Master

I try to take out the enemies with my 2 tanks. But once i realise that my tanks arent making a dent in the enemies armor then, i use my clerics to summon undead. Did you know that when you summon undead, the creatures that come out are aligned to your clerics level. I just had to concentrate on undead for clerics and forget all the other summons. Plus undead has loads of immunity. In any case, i like my tanks handle everything while my clerics or wizards, cast spells.

I noticed, in IWD2 once you are engaged in battles, your wizards or clerics cant cast thos high level spells that does area damages. Either, my guys have to run like hell while my back liners cast the spells, or i send in my theif to do it and then drop an area spell. I always like to see my area spells do some work, but judging in the distances of where my places need to be is kinda a bore after a while. ALso, when my spell drops on the goons, they are pretty close enough for a close to close combat and the enemies get minimal damage.
Any suggestions?
Dmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:29 PM   #4
kellinjar
Welcomed New User

most everything has the same site range..so all I do is sneak my rogue up.. expose the enemy. Then back him off till he's out of their range, step up my wizard and sorcer, fireball/iceestorm same time just infront of enemy usually hurts them good if it doesn't kill them completely
kellinjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 08:40 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

My first rule of thumb is to have the ranger do a Wilderness lore to find out what is in the area, and then have the rogue and/or ranger scout ahead. I usually keep at least one fighter near the back of the party in case of an ambush. Once the bad guys are found, the scouts rush back and the protective spells go up.

If the bad guys are without spell casters, I try to use spells like grease, web and entangle to slow down the enemy fighters from closing if possible. Then use hold person, hold monster, confusion, dominate, chromatic orb to freeze the enemy. If I need reinforcements i call on summon monsters or undead. If I get REALLY lucky with the webs or other disabling spells, I'll back the fighters up a bit and dump massed area effect spells on the held/webbed enemy. If the enemy has animal allies, I'll try to use the animal empathy feat to turn them back on their friends. [img]smile.gif[/img]

If spell casters are present, I'll start dumping the kitchen sink on them first with both the mage and cleric, while at least one character starts targetting them one at a time with ranged weapons. If the front line fighters need help, summoned monsters are called in.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:13 PM   #6
Dmouse
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them in HOF mode. Since now i know where most of the fights will be, i'll probably invisble my mage or cleric and drop a bomb on them , run away and let my tankers do the work. I totally forgot about those web spells. Since i will have ring of free movement on me, that will be ideal in area spells.

Has anyone completed the game just using mages, clerics and druids? I wonder what happens when you run out of spells to cast and the enemy is still running after you? hahahaha
Dmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 02:19 AM   #7
kellinjar
Welcomed New User

If the enemy is still chasing you have nothing to throw back, then run to the edge of the map [img]smile.gif[/img] Much like Evercrack, when the fight gets to tough, head for zone.
Though taking a party of limited classes is just asking for trouble [img]smile.gif[/img]
kellinjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 02:40 AM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

yes, like kellinjar said head to edge of map area and go to another area, take a rest and return for revenge.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 11:20 AM   #9
banzai
Manshoon

Another short tactic especially useful against spell casters ...

In most cases you´re able to select the fighting location so that the enemy has to come around a corner/bend to see you. This gives you the chance to choose the fighting distance - giving you a lot of *possibilities*.
Most area effect spells are more *effective* because of the concentration of enemy spell casters at this certain point (they stop there and start casting) - and you can choose the distance corresponding best to the spell(s) you want to cast.

With a little bit of *contemplating* there are a lot of really interesting tactics imaginable with this *corner fighting* ...