Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2003, 05:22 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I dunno what's wrong with social workers these days. Look at what happens when they do not do thier job. source

A 10-foot (3-meter) chain was wrapped three times around the boy's neck and held in place by a padlock when he was found Saturday in a South Side home.

"When we pulled the cover off him, we saw the chains. They were pretty tight," said Officer Oscar Arteaga. "If he fell off the bed, he could have choked."

His foster mother, Mary Bryant, 64, said the boy was chained because he stole food, according to police. She and the boy's foster father, Melvin Bond, 49, were charged with misdemeanor child endangerment. Melinda Bryant, 29, Mary Bryant's daughter, was charged with felony child endangerment and weapons and drugs charges.

The boy and four of the other children living in the home, ranging in age from 3 to 11, were taken into the custody of the state Department of Children and Family Services. An older child was left in the home.

Cook County Public Guardian Patrick Murphy slammed DCFS for placing so many children in the home.

"Here's a woman who's 64 years old who has six very troubled kids and so she can't take care of them and starts chaining them to beds," he said. Five different social service agencies were involved in placing the children, with DCFS as the oversight agency, Murphy said.

The boy pointed to where officers could find the padlock's key.

"He ran right away and hugged one of the officers and looked at the chains like they were evil," Arteaga said.

Old 01-27-2003, 05:23 PM   #2
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Some people are sick...
Old 01-27-2003, 05:23 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I just read that in the newspaper about an hours ago.

Some people are sick.

[ 01-27-2003, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 01-27-2003, 05:45 PM   #4
SomeGuy
Unicorn

My God....what's wrong with people these days?
Old 01-27-2003, 06:09 PM   #5
lucius
Dungeon Master

that is sick what are people thinking
Old 01-27-2003, 06:12 PM   #6
wellard
Dracolisk

OH NO
this gets me all upset, stealing food for c-sake, probably starved.. I dont want to dwell on this. I Just walked off and gave my kids a hug and told them how special they are and that I love them

oh this crap makes me angry sad.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 01-27-2003, 06:20 PM   #7
Wulfere
Red Wizard of Thay

When I attended Shadow Mountain High (the second year after it opened) in Pheonix we had a mandatory Social Studies class. During the semester a Social worker from the state and Paramedics visited the class. The Social worker brought slides of abused children. Shocking was the kindest thing you could say about it. About halfway through the slide show I realized that they were autopsy slides. Those images are with me still today. It's not a modern problem. It has been with us for along time.
You can say that it's our day and age that causes so many to do this, or you can see that it's just that we are actively looking for it now. We no longer tolerate this kind of behavior. It's a good thing that we are collectively sickened by something like this. We can do something about it. Just keep your eyes open and watch out for the little ones.

There is a country song currently on the radio. "Concrete Angel". Listening to the words and watching the video will break your heart.

[ 01-27-2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Wulfere ]
Old 01-27-2003, 07:12 PM   #8
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

How could a parent ever do that to their child. Seriously people, that do things like that should really be dragged to the nearest telephone pole and unceremoniously hung. Chaining up a little kid that can't fend for himself by the neck. I hope they rot.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:17 PM   #9
Arvon
Unicorn

The problem is, is this is not a rare story. It comes 2-3 times a week on the news. Enough said....

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 01-27-2003, 07:23 PM   #10
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
How could a parent ever do that to their child. Seriously people, that do things like that should really be dragged to the nearest telephone pole and unceremoniously hung. Chaining up a little kid that can't fend for himself by the neck. I hope they rot.
By saying that you are admitting that you are worse than a person who chains up a kid. Chaining someone up is robbing them of their freedom. Hanging someone is robbing them of their life. Err which one is worse? Umm...
So Azrael go and hang yourself 3 times or something
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray