Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2004, 02:07 PM   #1
Adamo
Dungeon Master

Firstly, Aerie died in De'Arnise keep but her face is still appearing in my list of characters on the right side. Is this common? Will it ever go away?

Also, do you guys continue to reload battles when you lose a character to try to survive the battle without any deaths? I tried to do this but I finally realized that I would have to move on without her.

adam
Adamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
Melusine
Dracolisk

Yes, it is normal for the portrait to remain there, in black-and-white. Only if a character is utterly destroyed (massive damage, disintegrated) or Imprisoned/Petrified, their portrait will disappear. The reason it stays when a character has died, is that you can pick up their equipment and go to a Temple to have them raised or resurrected (or of course you can cast a Resurrection or Raise Dead spell on them yourself). And that answers your second question: I usually reload when someone dies, but if I can't be bothered I just finish the battle and resurrect them afterwards.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:15 PM   #3
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

You can ressurect her at a temple if you have enough money.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:17 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

If her portrait is still there, then that means she is resurectable. If you picked up her loot, cast a resurrecting spell on the portrait and she will be brought back to life.

If you have Jaheira, the level 5 spell Harper's call will do the job, as will a rod of resurrection or the level 7 priest spell resurrection. You may even be able to get a temple to do it for you.

If you don't want to resurrect her, then I presume going to your character sheet and clicking 'reform party' will do the job of removing the portrait. If a character reaches lower than -10HP in the killing blow, then they are 'chunked' and thus un-ressurectable - hence their portrait will disappear on its own.

I generally reload unless it's a character I'm not fond of.

[ 11-23-2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:23 PM   #5
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

She does that (dying). You really need to protect her to keep it from happening (stoneskin, mirror image, and keep her away from melee).
Old 11-23-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
Riftmaker
Elminster

Weird, in Darksun, if your characters reach -10 hp, they die...otherwise they're just knocked unconcious.

Anyways....here are ways to cure your dead / missing / stoned party member.

1) Character is dead, and portrait is grey on the side.

Answer: Get the character ressurected at a temple, use the Cleric Spells Raise Dead or Ressurection, or use Jaheira's Harper's Call spell.

2) Character was the victim of an "Imprisonment" spell.

Answer: Use the 9th level Mage spell "Freedom" to get your character back.

3) Character was the victim of petrification (Basilisk, spell, trap, etc.).

Answer: Use the 5th or 6th(I can't remember) level spell "Stone to Flesh" to get your character back.

4) Victim was Disentigrated (as per spell), "Chunked", or hit after being Petrified.

Answer: Victim is irrecoverable. Reload and try again.

You may find that you don't have the options available to recover Imprisoned / Petrified characters until later in the game. If that is the case, just reload and try again. A warning that the Imprisonment spell ALWAYS works, so you have to disrupt casting to stop it.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:44 AM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

Aerie died!

And the problem with that is? raise a glass of wine to her memory and get another (better) character [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

Just my two cents and BTW welcome to Ironworks Adamo!

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:43 AM   #8
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by shamrock_uk:
If a character reaches lower than -10HP in the killing blow, then they are 'chunked' and thus un-ressurectable - hence their portrait will disappear on its own.
Only on core rules and higher, I think.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote