Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2002, 07:38 AM   #1
Sarles
Elite Waterdeep Guard

As Misc and I stood over Conster’s lifeless body, and watched as Garrens child run crying through the doorway of the prison cell, the dumb ranger looked at me and said;
”Boo wants to know...Why did you promise Firkraag we’d be back for him?” I looked him straight in his eyes, but didn’t really find the mental connection I was searching for.
”Don’t you see we need bigger swords?” the ranger carried on.
”Are you insulting me”, Lilarcor answered and wiggled angrily in the sheath on my back. I turned around to the rest of the group.
”So who’s up for this?” I asked. Jan sat in the corner, cutting af small doll for Aerie from a turnip he had in his napsack.
”I can’t...I’m allergic” he said as my eyes fell upon him ”Okay...I’m not that allergic” he continued as he saw the anger building in me. Valygar stood up straight and stepped on step forward.
”You have my sword” he said, knowing that he probably would be the first to fall. ”erhh..and my axe” the brave ranger finished.
”Maybe we could distract him if I shapeshifted into a mosquito” Cernd suggested. I turned away in despair and the others, though reluctant, followed one by one.
”Boo is worried” I heard from a few yards back.
”My uncle Quale always used to sing this song when I felt sad” Aerie consoled the hamster.
”I’ll do it for a turnip” Jan yelled from the top of the stairs. As I reached the dungeon floor I heard someone singing in a soft and shaky voice ”I while away the hours, conferring with the flowers...”.

About five seconds later, the remains of my party laid scattered across the cold marble floor. The dragon was almost slain.
”Who’s your daddy” Lilarcor said from the firm grip of my right hand. I dragged myself back towards the stairs to catch my breath. The trail of blood I had left made me wonder if I would be able to kill the dragon without any legs. The haste potions wasn’t much use now. And in that second I heard the dark murmur of the dragon’s healing spells. I looked up and saw Boo gnawing persistantly away at Firkraag’s tail. This would clearly be the end of me...

Repeat this three times, and you know my situation. How do I defeat Firkraag? I've done it before, but don't remember how. Please give me some ideas...well...any ideas...
Old 11-06-2002, 08:03 AM   #2
Zayron
Elite Waterdeep Guard

There´s this really easy (though boring and semi cheating) way of defeating Firkraag. Just have one person make the action talk and attack with the rest of the party. Be sure howerver that you never actually speak with Firkraag, that will make him turn red. Just have your most useless char walking back and then talking to him again. Easy, but as I said boring.
Zayron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 08:08 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Very nicely written! Not many people bother to write about their defeats.

Use Aerie to cast Protection from Fire and/or Resist Fire on everybody. 100%+ Resistance to Fire is nice, but 75%+ is sufficient too. This is to handle his Dragon's Breath. Potions of Fire Resistance will serve the same purpose as well.

Firkragg likes to cast Chaos as well, so cast Chaotic Commands on Minsc and Valgar. You have Lilarcor, so you are already protected. Potions of Clarity will serve the same purpose as well.

Use Aerie and Jan to conjure up some summons prior to talking to Firkragg. Try to use your best summons, then cast Resist Fear on everybody. Protection from Evil 10' Radius is an excellent spell to cast beforehand as well.

During the fight, summons stay in front of Firkragg while your melee party members stay at the back of Firkragg. Have Aerie to cast Chant and Bless on them, then either Jan or Aerie cast Haste on them, then have her and Jan cast Lower Resistance on Firkragg followed by Greater Malison and Doom. You may use offensive spells like Polymorph on him now.

Have fun, and good luck.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 08:08 AM   #4
Amedyr

First of all... LOL!!! [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

All right, here's my 2 cents:
Have the spellcasters memorize all the breaches and spell protection removers they can, and have Cernd memorize my favorite druid (possibly THE favourite, period) spell Insect Swarm. Get him Improv. Invisible, send fodder ahead and then swarm the red lizard. Remove his protections from afar... then RUN FOR THE EYES!

(of course, I'm kind of a newbie, so other people probably will have smarter, more elaborate strategies...) [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

EDIT: Heh, not only a newbie, but also very slow. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 11-06-2002, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Amedyr ]
Old 11-06-2002, 08:25 AM   #5
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Great story! You should post some more in the Roleplaying forum.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:33 AM   #6
Sarles
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the replies, guys. I guess I have to try out some of the different tactics. Maybe my party is just too low level for the fight. I will post here if I succeed. If not, you will never hear from me again (too ashamed) [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2002, 08:49 AM   #7
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

I agree with Zuvio, the RP forum could use more people with talent for writing/thinking creatively.

but back to your question, before Firkraag goes hostile have Aerie cast magic resistance, it's a blue spell so it won't turn him hostile as it sets his magic resistance to crap, then have Jan or Aerie cast lower resistance, this will leave him with a max of 10% resistance, then have Cern hit him with multiple insect swarms, while Jan and Aerie (whichever didn't cast lower resist) summon, the summons will distract him and his death spell/wing buffets letting your tanks get more hits in, have cernd Ironskin himself before the fight, same with the other buff spells (resist fire/stoneskin/bless/chant/etc)and just whail on him repeatedly the insect swarms should keep him from healing, cern (as werewolf) minsc you and Valygar should be able to take him down after this.
Old 11-06-2002, 09:28 AM   #8
Sarles
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
I agree with Zuvio, the RP forum could use more people with talent for writing/thinking creatively.
Thanks, maybe I'll try to write a couple of stories and post them in the RP forum. Oh...and thank for the aswer to my question [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2002, 01:00 PM   #9
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:

but back to your question, before Firkraag goes hostile have Aerie cast magic resistance, it's a blue spell so it won't turn him hostile as it sets his magic resistance to crap, then have Jan or Aerie cast lower resistance, this will leave him with a max of 10% resistance, then have Cern hit him with multiple insect swarms, while Jan and Aerie (whichever didn't cast lower resist) summon, the summons will distract him and his death spell/wing buffets letting your tanks get more hits in, have cernd Ironskin himself before the fight, same with the other buff spells (resist fire/stoneskin/bless/chant/etc)and just whail on him repeatedly the insect swarms should keep him from healing, cern (as werewolf) minsc you and Valygar should be able to take him down after this.
Yes definitely check it out, we could use more active RPers, and I enjoyed your story very much. Speaking of the RP forum Morgy I think you should post in LOF
Old 11-06-2002, 01:49 PM   #10
Lewzbel
The Magister

Personally, I think the best character to use for hunting dragons is a blade. The simple reason for this is that they can cast some of the very useful protective mage magic on themselves AND they can fight. I always wondered about these great spells like protection from magical weapons for a mage, who will rarely even be targetted by magical weapons, if you're careful. So I have the bard load up on the protective spells you need, have any priests cast their defensive spells on him (or the group), have your blade with boots of speed and dual wielding, have him do his offensive spin, and then just go to town by himself while the others sit back and watch from a safe distance. I killed Firkraag and the Shadow dragon that way. You just have to make sure your bard is high level enough so that his Thaco is low enough (the offensive spin helps).
Lewzbel is offline   Reply With Quote