Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2000, 02:42 AM   #21
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

R.J. redeems any "wordyness" in the new book. Many plots come to fruition... Thats all I'll say other than its worth the bucks for the hard cover!

Once again I'll take an opportunity to push George R.R. Martin and the three books available in his Untitled Fantasy Series(Game of thrones, Clash of kings, and Storm of swords). Its been days since I finished the third book and I still can't get over it.(anger, happiness, sorrow, hope, I can't wait for #4)
He is also one of Robert Jordans favorite Authors.

Anyway- Does anyone have the original first print D&D book "Dieties and Demigods"
It includes the D&D stats of heroes and monsters from H.P. lovecraft's Call of cuthulu, and other early fantasy and horror writers. It was revised in later prints due to copyright infractions, removing the lovecraft stuff and others. Cool stuff if you play p&p D&D!
Old 12-14-2000, 06:59 PM   #22
talon

David Eddings and Dennis McKiernan. McKiernan's style is sometimes overly poetic but it's easy enough to get used to.

Also, I don't care for a lot of Stephen King but his Gunslinger series is good.

Old 12-14-2000, 07:10 PM   #23
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

Terry Pratchett is my favorite author. My favorite of his books was Carpe Jugulum. I'm glad people on this board read him also!
Old 12-14-2000, 07:36 PM   #24
ArmageddonX
Welcomed New User

Man, I feel like such a loser. I need no help in that interpretation please . All of my characters are named things like AMGDX (my usual callsign, guess what it is )-Fighter or AMGDX-Archer. I do this so I can reduce the confusion between the characters (no they dont all look the same). If I used Minsc and Jaheira and people like that i'd prolly just name em AMGDX-HamsterBrains and AMGDX-FeelinSlutty. I never really saw the point in getting cool names like Memnoch and Armisael ;D. No real point to this message, I just wanted to say that and oh yeah, book? Me no know no book... What book?
Old 12-14-2000, 11:56 PM   #25
MattGuy

Yo people

I didn't see anyone putting these two great author's name : Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis. They wrote the Dragonlance series namely the Dragonlance Chronicles and Dragonlance: Legends. Maybe it is just me but those books make me gone crazy bout RPG in the first place . They wrote the Death gate cycles and The Rose of the Prophet as well which IMO is pretty creative and cool.

Anyway, I've been reading some other cool series as well . Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and Raymond E. Feist. Not to mention David Eddings and Terry Brooks. However, I think Raymond E. Feist Serpentwar saga is pretty downhill and so is Terry Brooks. Maybe it is just me coz somtimes I found them pretty predictable

My name for characters are garbled up. Heheh... tried to think more unique way of naming em Not MattGuy of course. That's just my nick here.

MAttGuy

Old 12-15-2000, 03:52 AM   #26
bocajab

thanks for the book ideas also has any one read Jay's jounal or go ask Alice. I know there not like the other books mentioned but still worth reading (if you have the stumoch for them that is)

Old 12-15-2000, 04:08 AM   #27
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hi there, well since I saw alot of people started talking about names, ther is a posting about cool names, check that up, alot of inspirations actually..
Wow, so much more to read cool!!!

I have to say that unfortunately most authors books start to go downhill after awhile, Like Jordan (not saying that they are bad authors ok) he seems to lost his fire for the books in the last three books you get more annoyed then awestruck like with the first four of them. E.Fesist, the first books are truely great for DoD fantasy, and everything good is three.. eh??? Well one author I have found that still keeps a fire for his characters so far is R.A Salvatore´s books about Drizzt and friends, and also Terry Prachett who probably could get a stone kill itself with laughter

Well you who cannot find a good name, check out these authors:
Garry Gygax ha, suck on that one! Thats a heavy name in fantasy..
God (sorry couldn´t resist) The bible, alot of good inspirations for names.
Hobb, Terry Goodkind, Mythos books.. Well look around you find a namesday calendar from a different country would be bound to have at least 365 names in it...
Old 12-15-2000, 04:33 AM   #28
Zertyr

J.R.R Tolkien, the one who created the modern fantasy style. And I see many
complaining on his books, man, I love them! They are deep! Not maybe easy
to read, as many who seem to be in the "younger" years does not like all
parts of the book. Guess you have to have some kind of style/maturity to
like them.

But still, Tolkien is the greatest, there is nothing compared to him and
his Midgard.

Old 12-15-2000, 04:41 AM   #29
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hi Zertyr, maybe its the other way around, you have to be in contact with your inner child-thing-whatever..
I read the book when I was eleven, now I´m 27 and i have read the trilogy about six times, liked them alot, but now with modern fantasy authors I don´t blame people not to like them cause they are a bit old fashion, written more like a daga then a fantasy novel. However if one calls oneself a true fantasy fan, you should read them cause it is an epic battle in a very classic way! It´s like not have rea a book of Jules Verne.
Old 12-15-2000, 05:32 AM   #30
Zertyr

Wolfgir!! You are right, just trying to keep my nr 1 author high up.

His style is very diffrent from the new style of fantasy books, but I guess
in 15 years when we see our fantasy "books" in 3D with sound and stuff, we
will look back at the books of today and think about the old fashion books..

damn, im mubling again.. NOT MY FAULT! Try to concentrate on work when you
dont have anything to do today, only make some suggestive winks to the ladies
around.

Btw. Did you guys know that if you drink coffe and chatting with your friend
on the phone, and the BIG BOSS comes around, and you get a serious look on
your face and tell your friend. "I will look into it, consider it done, as I
will put 110% into it." The boss will be impressed and the friend who you are
talking to about drinking a few beers after work will see you in another
perspective.