Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2000, 05:48 PM   #1
draconia

I just started doing the quest for the Shadow Thieves. I ran into 3 vampires and all the weapons I had were ineffective. What can I use to kill them? I also got busted for using magic. Please help me. Also, who can I replace Nalia for? She is annoying and I really want to get rid of her. Anyone have any suggestions who would be better and where I can find them? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-02-2000, 06:06 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I think its +2 weapons to hit a vampire. They can be a bit annoying. To use magic in town you have to bribe the woman at the government center (5000gp-I think thats what it was). Nalia doesnt annoy me much. Jaheira is really annoying and so is Aerie. Although it didnt stop me from sleeping with her!
Old 12-02-2000, 06:14 PM   #3
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I ran into the same problem with the vampires early on in the game. I couldn't fight them either, especially without using magic so basically I either ran to the nearest exit or inn (cowardly but hey), or I just reloaded and rested so that I could avoid walking around in the dark. Later on you have plenty of chances to fight vampires using magic. As for Nalia, I didn't like her either and just used Aerie (circus tent) and Jaheira.
Old 12-02-2000, 06:18 PM   #4
Magnus Magnificent

You may need to run until you can get a 'Magic license' and some +2 weapons. As for Nalia, trade her for Jan Jansen right now! He is a Gnome Illusionist/thief and kicks. You can find him selling turnips in the Government District.

Old 12-02-2000, 06:40 PM   #5
BubbaD

This situation got *so* annoying when I played with a 1/2Orc Barbarrian that I started over and changed my primary to an Undead Hunter Negative plane protection helps, but that random encounter had me for lunch since it seemed random, and wasn't able to prep for the bastiches.

Another thing to consider is *not* going to Mr Bayle right after you get the $15k, since it seemed like this was the trigger for them going after y'all. Let your characters develop into bad mo-fos and you may be eating them for lunch I did this and accumulated as much magic stuff as possible. Now with my Undead Hunter as Primary, I send her out to engage them and have all my other characters stand back with missile suport...

Happy Staking!

Old 12-02-2000, 07:45 PM   #6
draconia

Thanks everyone for your help. Some of the ppl I have in my group have 2+ weapons. And it still doesn't do any good. I need to go to the docks at night to find (I can't remember the name) As soon as I go down to the docks, a female vampire comes to me and asks me if I am a shadow thief. Then she and 2 other vampires attack me. I can't remember her name but I think it starts with a T. I do have Aerie and Jahiera. I will go look for Jan Jansen. I am so sick of Nalia that I might kill her myself. And where do I get stakes. I read somewhere that you have to have stakes to kill vampires. I have no idea where I am suppose to get them. Thanks again everyone.

Old 12-02-2000, 08:20 PM   #7
ironfist

Draconia, you can use priest level 4 spell: negative plane protection, Jaheira and Aerie can do the job.
The cowled wizards wont bother you for that. Just cast the
spell just before you encouter the vampires because the duration of
spell is just 5 rounds.
If you arent ready to fight them just rest and travel in daylights.
Good luck.

Old 12-02-2000, 08:44 PM   #8
Schnupps

One of the best weapons vs undead you can find early in the game is Daystar, you get it behind a secret door in the pub at the gate district. It has a very cool ability which can be casted once a day, which does lots of damge to those bastards. If you can not defeat the lich in there just run hasted and invisble with a thief in there, grab it from the chest and leave.

The price for doing magic in town is actually not 50000gp as they say in the game, it is 5000gp.
st.Schnupps

Old 12-02-2000, 09:10 PM   #9
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hi Draconia,
If you can afford it, it is definately worth paying the 5000 for the licence, then you can prep your team in advance with defensive spells like Aid, Bless, Chant, Defensive Harmony. Negative Plane Protection on your front line fighters is a must against vamps, you still take damage but they wont get level drained. Use Aeries Turn Undead button, it wont affect the tougher Vamps, gut it does have some effect on the lesser ones. If you pick up Viconia, she has an excellent Repulse Undead spell that works very well against many Vamps. Just beare in mind if you use Turn Undead or Repulse Undead that if your Animated dead get too close to them they will likely explode. Then you can also use your offensive spells that will hurt them. Animate Dead is a fantastice spell against Vamps, Undead do very well against undead. Summon animals, or monsters too, they will die, but buy you valuable time while the vamps deal with them.
On a good note, when you finish all the Thief quests you will be able to pick up Edwin who is the best NPC Mage in the game, he's got real Juice!
How are you doing with Jaheira's curse, did you get Ployer yet?
Old 12-02-2000, 09:58 PM   #10
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

If I remember correctly you can get stakes in the Bridge District Helm Temple.